SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
I gave $20 to Red Cross for the hurricane. Big spender over here.

I like to think that the silver lining to these natural disasters is that people will rebuild infrastructure capable of withstanding these extreme storms or move out of areas that are going to be under water soon. Most likely the shanty towns will be replaced with more shanty towns though.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5318|London, England

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I like to think that the silver lining to these natural disasters is that people will rebuild infrastructure capable of withstanding these extreme storms or move out of areas that are going to be under water soon. Most likely the shanty towns will be replaced with more shanty towns though.
https://e360.yale.edu/digest/thousands_ … _louisiana

We keep bailing out people's beach house rebuilds
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
We both live near the water though.

What do you think of Chicago's deep tunnel project to lessen flooding?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6066|eXtreme to the maX

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Yeah no they'll just rebuild matchstick houses below the high tide level and be mystified when they're flooded and blown away again.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

I wonder if in the hypothetical scenario where most of the surface of the planet becomes uninhabitable for humans, people will still be making snide remarks about all the morons rebuilding subpar water farm settlements in the sandpaper wind-death dust bowl covering 99.99% of the planet's surface. After all, weren't they granted a pittance to rehabilitate the poisoned land.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Building and demolishing superfluous, oversized, inefficient and vulnerable houses over and over is probably one of the largest contributors to pollution and climate change.

I wonder if it will ever occur to people to do things once and do them right.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

We both live near the water though.

What do you think of Chicago's deep tunnel project to lessen flooding?
I live half a mile from the water on top of a hill. I'm good

Last edited by Jay (2019-09-07 12:38:44)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Larssen
+99|1848

Dilbert_X wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Yeah no they'll just rebuild matchstick houses below the high tide level and be mystified when they're flooded and blown away again.
Isn't this one of the strongest hurricanes ever though. Has to be one hell of a house if it is to survive that.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
People could build compact robust houses, they choose to build large fragile houses.
uziq
+492|3413
common people should live in dirt holes, like moles. i wish them all the very worst. the world needs fewer houses and fewer people in them. helter-skelter was real 4/20
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
This sounds crazy but we should put extra taxes on environmentally damaging products and services in order to fund home weatherproofing in American coastal communities.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

Would you expect money made from something like that to be spent as its concept intends, or the process of legislatively defining "environmentally damaging product" to not be utterly subverted?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
Good point. Let's not even try.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Maybe people who choose to live in marginal areas should fund their own weatherproofing.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

Yeah that's totally what I said. "Don't do anything at all." Or maybe we can do something that doesn't involve indiscriminately cherry picking things for a punitive tax (which would hit poorer people the hardest) to collect revenue that might ultimately disappear into some mystical paperwork wormhole rather than reaching its intended destination.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Why would a tax hit poorer people harder?
Fossil fuel use should be taxed, people who consume more pay more - very fair.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

Who's going to be more impacted by a gas tax:
a) The pizza delivery driver paying out of pocket for fuel.
b) Joe Six-Figure fueling up his RV for a cross-country tour.

I shouldn't have to illustrate it.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Which does more damage to the environment:
a) A rich person burning a gallon of petrol
b) A poor person burning a gallon of petrol

I shouldn't have to illustrate it.

Ultimately the cost gets added to the price of the pizza, so the pizza driver is unaffected.
The person filling up their RV is affected with no way to avoid except by burning less petrol.

Putting a tax on specific types of consumption does tend to put a bit of a crimp on that specific type of consumption, on average, with some anomalies and exceptions and levels of 'unfairness'.

Go ahead and argue the fairness of income tax vs consumption tax.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2019-09-09 01:34:11)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Or... it's already done? People who accepted FEMA money after Sandy had to put their house on stilts with breakaway partitions on the ground floor if they were in the flood zone.

https://stormrecovery.ny.gov/community- … on-program

Last edited by Jay (2019-09-09 02:04:53)

-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

How much fuel does it take to get an RV from point A to point B compared to a small delivery car, dilbert? They told me you went to engineer college or something, so maybe you can puzzle that out.

Are you so disconnected that you simply can't fathom the idea that a person living on tips would be harder impacted by such a tax than someone living comparatively well off. That's without mentioning all the increased prices of miscellaneous items and services due to increased shipping overhead if there are no exemptions for that. Of course if you have the dough you can simply shrug off punitive taxation like this and carry on as usual.

But silly me for arguing fairness, I guess.

Remember when Bill Gates was fined $800k by FTC and antitrust for a $50 million investment. I bet that stings for a billionaire. I wonder how an $800k fine would impact our pizza delivery driver.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I don't know, do pizza guys typically make $50million investments?

Rich people typically have more money to spend? Wow, I didn't know that.
Life isn't fair, why do you expect it should be?

What are you saying, income tax should be increased to discourage specific behaviour which damages the environment and encourage behavior which doesn't? How would that work? Now who is the one who isn't making sense? Or should people have to prove their income when they buy petrol?

Maybe using a car to deliver meals is stupid.

The easiest option is to tax carbon fuels and use the money to mitigate climate change. Then rich people who burn more fuel contribute more, isn't that fair? The price of a pizza may well rise a few cents, thats how market messages work.

Targeted taxation does typically crimp somewhat the behaviour its targeted at, eventually.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2019-09-09 04:25:41)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
Newbie doesn't care about climate change since he lives in the woods like Big Foot
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

wow, dilbert

@macbeth: bigfoot's not a bad neighbor, but I wish he'd stop bringing baskets of grubs and gross roots to bbq parties.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

wow, dilbert.
Which part are you struggling to understand?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

How much fuel does it take to get an RV from point A to point B compared to a small delivery car, dilbert? They told me you went to engineer college or something, so maybe you can puzzle that out.

Are you so disconnected that you simply can't fathom the idea that a person living on tips would be harder impacted by such a tax than someone living comparatively well off. That's without mentioning all the increased prices of miscellaneous items and services due to increased shipping overhead if there are no exemptions for that. Of course if you have the dough you can simply shrug off punitive taxation like this and carry on as usual.

But silly me for arguing fairness, I guess.

Remember when Bill Gates was fined $800k by FTC and antitrust for a $50 million investment. I bet that stings for a billionaire. I wonder how an $800k fine would impact our pizza delivery driver.
Aren't you one of the pro $15 minimum wage people?
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard