Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Super not caring based on all his previous movies.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
movies about the movie-making business are a bit like novels about novel-writing: preaching to the already converted. the people who lap it up will be movie critics and cinéastes who love having their hobby reflected back at them on the big screen.

hail, caesar! was pretty good. boogie nights too.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I saw the Tarantino movie Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. It's pretty good. I would say well above average and I enjoyed it a lot. Probably wouldn't watch clips of it on youtube like his other movies. It's not a masterpiece like the media is saying though. I hate how whenever a movie comes out set in or related to the media, it gets undo hype. I get it that people in the profession like talking about their profession but it often comes off as disconnected from the reality of where most Americans hearts and minds are: football, MasterChef, and The $100,000 Pyramid.

I give the movie 8.5/10
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Bohemian Rhapsody 8/10
I found Queen a bit lightweight compared with Pink Floyd etc so never paid them a great deal of attention but it was an interesting story, some of the music still stands up and what a voice and talent.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2019-08-15 06:44:01)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

I didn't like that movie much at all, but I also can't stand looking at Rami Malek and thought he did a terrible job. It always felt like he was trying to play a character.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I enjoyed it and thought it was a good portrayal.
Freddie Mercury and Kenny Everett were a shame to lose.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

i also was watching while crammed in to an Economy Plus seat on a 16 hour flight so maybe I was a bit annoyed when I watched it. I know everyone i talked to after I saw it said they enjoyed it and that Rami Malek was AHHHMAZING as Freddie so I know I hold the minority opinion.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I don't form a view of a film unless I've seen it properly, ideally in a cinema.
Rahmi Malek was good, I don't know about ahhmazing.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I don't like Queen. There I said it.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
A lot of Queen is fairly average, I always found Brian May's guitar fairly soulless and like the ballads more than the rock or pop.

Probably my favourite Freddie Mercury song, also from a film.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2019-08-17 04:50:42)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I had an awful dream they announced a Matrix 4
uziq
+492|3422
queen were never a good band. just toothless rock sold in a palatable form to the conserved masses. there is so much good rock music behind that band, i have no idea why anyone would elect to listen to queen. may as well discuss the intricacies of the instrumentation of Abba. what sort of stiff listens to 'i want to break free?' it's music for provincial bankers. and do i even need to mention highlander?

and that film was corny as fuck. i honestly think bio-pics with lookalike actors are the lowest form of cinema. such obvious oscar bait. 'wow, he looked just like him!' the imagination shrivels.

Last edited by uziq (2019-08-21 04:52:27)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England
Highlander 9/10
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Bleh 'rock' as a genre is tedious and unimaginative, I hate the whole dirty motorcycle jacket image thing.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
Is it still the 1950s?
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

Bleh 'rock' as a genre is tedious and unimaginative, I hate the whole dirty motorcycle jacket image thing.
that's my point. queen were derivative and unoriginal by the standards of the time. rock was doing so much inventive and interesting stuff then (maybe less so now, but it had a very good run).

when queen were active, you could also be listening to can, neu, popul vuh ... all part of the same broad church and much, much more interesting (or even pink flloyd, to refer to what you said before).
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Like I said already, "I found Queen a bit lightweight compared with Pink Floyd etc so never paid them a great deal of attention"
But some of the non-rock ballads Queen did were OK, Bohemian Rhapsody and a few others were somewhat inventive for the time.

Didn't really care about most of the other 'rock' bands the cool kids were listening to either, AC-DC etc. which were more about the image, leather jackets and makeup, than the music.
I was listening to Tangerine Dream, Jean-Michel Jarre looooong before electronic music was the in thing.
Now I'm one of the cool kids it feels a bit strange.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2019-08-22 03:26:52)

uziq
+492|3422
tangerine dream are influential, but jean-michel is considered a bit corny, definitely not 'cool' even as a head-nod. though electronic music was the 'in thing' before then, in the form of bbc's radiophonic workshop, library music, french traditions of musique-concrete, dadaism, stockhausen and german computer music, etc. acts like tangerine dream were early big successes but definitely not 'avant-garde' or ahead of the cool curve.

my point was that there was a lot more rock music back then than queen, ac-dc, pink flloyd types. that's essentially the 'i scan the front covers of the major music magazines and listen to the radio in the mornings' music taste. which essentially confirms my first comment that queen was rock music for provincial bankers.

Last edited by uziq (2019-08-22 03:34:14)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Jarre was pretty fucking cool when I was 10 OK.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Transformers: The Last Knight

Critics complained about the horrible plot like they expected something greater, but I'm just impressed that they figured out how to show giant robots fighting each other with the cam placed at a distance greater than two feet.

michaelbay/10
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Aquaman 6/10

Can't think of a single visual or storyline element of this film which wasn't in another film.
If you've seen Avatar, Tron Legacy, any Harry Potter (they're all basically the same), The Lion King and maybe Clash of the Titans then you've seen this film.

Ariel was OK though, and neat to have made the transition from Disney to DC

https://geeksoncoffee.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/15.-Marvelous.gif

https://geeksoncoffee.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/21.-Prettiest-of-All.gif

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2019-09-17 02:43:16)

War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6684|Purplicious Wisconsin
I preferred the more natural looking red hair Amber Heard's character had in Justice League.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
The Joker movie will result in incel violence
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
So I saw the Joker. Do not recommend. Frankly the film dragged. It took too long to get to the action or 'Jokering'. You have to really like the character of Joker in order to enjoy the origin story rather than the experience speaking for itself. If that makes sense.

I think the "mass shooters will be encouraged by the movie" is overly dramatic. The Joker is way poorer, beat down, and mentally ill than the vast majority of internet sad people for them to identify with him. I would say the movie has more criticism of inequality and capitalism than it has promotion of nihilism or violence. The Batman movie in 2012 with Bane was criticized for having too much of an anti-capitalist message too so I guess that is just the angle the series is going for.

Overall 7/10 on its own merit. 10/10 if you like the Joker character.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6684|Purplicious Wisconsin
Loving the conflicting posts next to eachother, Macbeth. I'll be seeing the film tomorrow.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard