DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
I would imagine it's targeted as the non-gamer people with laptops and integral webcams.
uziq
+492|3423

Dilbert_X wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Does anyone here own a webcam? My burner email account got a message from someone that hacked some database and got some login info from it. They wanted $900 in bitcoin or else they would publish me jerking off on webcam. I don't own a webcam. Who owns a webcam nowadays?
I get those all the time and I don't have a webcam either.
it's because you go on loser websites looking at pictures of girls in anime costumes.

i've never received some dodgy scam email from the dark underbelly of the internet.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

uziq wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Does anyone here own a webcam? My burner email account got a message from someone that hacked some database and got some login info from it. They wanted $900 in bitcoin or else they would publish me jerking off on webcam. I don't own a webcam. Who owns a webcam nowadays?
I get those all the time and I don't have a webcam either.
it's because you go on loser websites looking at pictures of girls in anime costumes.

i've never received some dodgy scam email from the dark underbelly of the internet.
It was on my burner email which indeed gets signed up to the sketchy stuff.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6603|949

you get these emails because one of your email accounts was compromised at some time in the past, maybe with your password too (or your password has been cross-referenced against other hacked accounts).  The email lists get posted in pastebin or the like, and some troll blasts out emails like the one you saw to everyone on that list. Sometimes they will have an old password included, to make you think they actually DID hack your email.

you can check https://haveibeenpwned.com/ to see if any of your email addresses have been compromised. You will probably find the email address you received that hacker spam from on there. You can also search your passwords to see if any email/pw combos have been found.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5329|London, England
Sweet. 7 breeches
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3423
i remember years ago that site, or at least one very much like it, would show you all the usernames and passwords that had been made public. you could basically go to it with someone else's email address or full name only and make off with all their details.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
It'll be a cold day in Australia before I put my email and/or passwords into some flaky website.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

But I'm not allowed at the conventions any more.
uziq
+492|3423
has your mum finally insisted you stop suckling at her teet and try to find a real woman? you know she can’t really stop you from spending all your money on the comic heroines. you’re a grown boy !!!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
You don't need to worry about me, I have several bank accounts which are immune from the weekly audit.
uziq
+492|3423
having a lot of money is clearly working wonders for you socially and romantically. is that the first thing you tell the wonder women impersonators at the cons?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
No, I'm barred from pretty well all of them.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Once cloning technology picks up you will be able to 3D print yourself a copy of Gal Gadot at home.
DesertFox-
How should I tell one of my friends to stop driving like a jackass? She always drove fast, but used to have a shitbox that still kept her pretty well within the normal realm people tend to go. However, she recently bought a 5.0 Mustang that allows much stupider behavior. Occasionally I get snapchats like "newest top speed I've gone 120, 126, 135" etc when she's driving home on country roads at night. It makes me awful nervous because fucking anyone can put their foot down and go fast, but few people have much experience of needing to stay in control if something goes awry. In the past I've half-seriously responded about finding a track day nearby where she ought to take it. It's happening frequently enough now that I don't want to find out she's Paul Walker'd herself.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

DesertFox- wrote:

How should I tell one of my friends to stop driving like a jackass? She always drove fast, but used to have a shitbox that still kept her pretty well within the normal realm people tend to go. However, she recently bought a 5.0 Mustang that allows much stupider behavior. Occasionally I get snapchats like "newest top speed I've gone 120, 126, 135" etc when she's driving home on country roads at night. It makes me awful nervous because fucking anyone can put their foot down and go fast, but few people have much experience of needing to stay in control if something goes awry. In the past I've half-seriously responded about finding a track day nearby where she ought to take it. It's happening frequently enough now that I don't want to find out she's Paul Walker'd herself.
send her some crash accident photos from /r/gore.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6708|Oxferd Ohire
or any car fan group. every day another picture of a crashed mustang is posted
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6603|949

i thought the only people that bought mustangs were newly minted soldiers and poor people who think owning a mustang is *making it*.
DesertFox-
Hell if I know. It was like one of the $45k ones. She's tacked that on in addition to paying her student loans for some reason. I also learned that my perception of a normal car payment is like 1/3 of what the average is.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Mine is $291/mo
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6708|Oxferd Ohire
shit thats how much i pay for 6 months of insurance
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
My insurance for 2 cars is $242/mo. Yay New York
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

Jay wrote:

My insurance for 2 cars is $242/mo. Yay New York
It is not the liberals fault it snows and is really dense in our part of the country.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

DesertFox- wrote:

Its amazing how much people care about a number on a dial.
Tell her this is how she could end up
https://cdn.images.dailystar.co.uk/dynamic/162/photos/978000/620x/Kirsty-Smart-594788.jpg
https://i0.wp.com/i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/08/02/10/42E5131500000578-4752900-image-m-12_1501665138719.jpg
Its really bad for your instagram stream.

If she's too dumb to worry about her personal safety try showing her how much damage will be done to her precious shit-heap rear-wheel drive dinosaur car.
Take her to some car yards or police pounds to see some smashed cars, and ask the people there what sort of speed the cars were crashed at.
Its eye-opening how much damage is done at trivial speeds. 120MPH and there will only be fragments of the car and people.

Otherwise maybe its not a good idea to mess with Darwinian selection, its bad for the species as a whole.
Track days just make people drive faster and while everyone thinks they can manage a drift like on Fast and Furious in practice no-one can stay in control once a car lets go on a typical road.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2019-07-14 19:10:10)

DesertFox-
I think I mentioned last year how I found other coworkers of mine (who were also in their 20s or 30s) had pitifully low seatbelt usage. People in general just do not comprehend the forces involved in driving. When I'm coasting to a stop, I'll often look out the window as I'm still going 50, 40, 30 and look at just how slow that seems, despite still being potentially fatal depending on circumstances. We all know about the theory of risk compensating behavior and people rolling in SUVs think they're invincible nowadays. Unless people have close calls, I think it's like the idea of death penalty as a crime deterrent: people don't think they'll ever be in that situation.

It's frustrating.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Its easy to do the maths, a head-on crash or hitting a wall at 120 MPH/195kmh is equivalent to being dropped from 160m into concrete.

There was an interview with someone who was a live crash test dummy in the very early days of crash testing, everyone thinks they can 'brace themselves' but even at trivial speeds like 10-20MPH the forces are collosal, people are thrown around like rag dolls.
At 30MPH your seatbelt can burst your spleen or heart, no seatbelt means a broken neck or being thrown out of the vehicle.

But stupid is as stupid does, what can you do?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard