Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England
Internet news sites are staffed with people in their mid-twenties writing clickbait and native ads and making slave wages so that the site makes enough money to support the few high paid editorial writers. Wading through shit to find a diamond is not even worth it a lot of the time.

Also, if you want to read without ads use feedly or greader.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3422
almost all of the best news sites and print sources today are owned by private wealth or are maintained by funds, anyway. we're almost back to an old-school patronage system for 'noble' endeavours. even the guardian is in loads of debt. the london review of books – arguably the finest source in the world for essay-length comment and criticism from leading academics and public intellectuals – is maintained by the editors' family fortune in the fur trade, ffs.

the whole adblock/web ads thing is a silly canard. if you want good writing to continue, you're going to have to pay for it at some point.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
What do you guys think of YouTube demonetizing right wingers and changing their algorithm to bury conservative media? From what I understand of the issue, right wing YouTubers were able to get their videos linked from barely or tangentially videos which then lead to them dominating rankings.

An example: You watch a Battlefield V video and then YouTube autoplays a video by a right wingers complaining about feminism in Battlefield V. Then next one up is a video about feminism and how it is ruining America and so on. Now YouTube is making sure if you watch a video showing Battlefield V gameplay, your next one up is more BFV gameplay instead of politics.

How do you feel about that?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3422
yeah it seems to me like youtube has been one of the driving forces behind the right-wing/alt-right/alt-light. it has been one of the main platforms for their figures to build a following and connect with an audience. i think it’s just a typical trope that right-wing demagogues like to complain about being censored.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

BF5 has been a soapbox for knee-jerk rants on youtube for awhile now. On one of the last videos I watched on it, people were celebrating the game's commercial disappointment because they don't like women in it. That autoplay links from this to directly political stuff is completely unsurprising.

That said, the majority of game videos I've seen there aren't colored by alt-right and -leaning political commentary. But the game channels that do have this seem to be somehow connected to a network of rabbit holes which will eventually send you to some meninist/mgtow or gun rights circle-jerk.
uziq
+492|3422
a lot of bad film-making and game-design has coincided with some truly awful attempts to shoe-horn in right-on identity politics groupthink. no surprise that all those angry shut-ins and sad-sacks make the leap to connect their crappy franchise movies' and games' failures to liberal politics. too bad ghostbusters wasn't funny and battlefield games are gambling simulators.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Whenever my little local rag runs an article on Trump etc on its website its immediately swamped with pro-Trump neo-con ranting.
I'd like to know if its bots or real people.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

my local rag has the same problem. It's kind of an in-joke with people who read (and don't share those same views). Usually it's people being racist against mexicans. It's really a terrible little newspaper too
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
If YouTube is censoring conservatives, they're not doing a very good job. Watch one popular video vaguely political and your recommendations are full of Jordan Peterson and Ben Shapiro.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard