DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America
There is nothing more British than a good whinge. They're ensuring ample supply for the future.
uziq
+492|3422
bit strange to say that. is that meant to be a national stereotype? you live in a country with a 24/7 news outrage cycle with pundits crying foul every time your public figures queef 140 characters on twitter. are we especially whingey?

the brexit party is pure boiled-down protest vote, anti-establishment politics. it has no manifesto. it has no policies. it has no actual organisation. it’s a hastily arranged (and suspiciously funded) thing there to hoover up all the brexiter/right-wing dissatisfaction in time for the european elections (elections both major parties were not expecting and thus have not planned for at all; we were supposed to be out by now, not fielding candidates for more european politics). there is so much frustration – and fear – around now that the brexit party will probably handily sweep to victory and win most MEP seats.

farage is well at home in this scenario. he has been in europe as an elected MEP (never actually a successfully elected MP at home) for years. he sits there, abuses their expenses and funding, abstains on most votes, and goes elsewhere. he’s under investigation at home and abroad for his funding sources/abuses.
uziq
+492|3422

SuperJail Warden wrote:

So what's up with the Brexit party? I know a lot of the leave the EU stuff was a reaction against the refugee crisis but that has mostly fallen off. Why are people still hell bent on leaving the EU?
and you have to bear in mind that the EU is viewed the same way in economically depressed, post-industrial areas of europe in the same way that the democratic party, wall street and hillary are viewed by hicks in the rust belt. it’s seen as a thing for bankers and elites used to inflict economic violence against the working class.

they’re not alone in thinking this. the trendy fabian left once also viewed europe as a tool for international finance that would strip away wealth and with it local identity. prominent politicians in the UK like tony benn (left as they come) rallied against the EU in the 70s/80s. it’s why our official labour opposition have been so piss poor at combatting the immigrant-fearing populist-right thing. they haven’t got a clue what they even think about it, seeing as the EU has been a solidly pro-business centrist affair.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX
Americans are the whiniest people on earth TBH.

Even now he Brexit party is in the lead, at this point the British people get what they deserve frankly.
If its economic armageddon then so be it, when the average moron can't afford to live maybe they'll wake up.

What to do with the self-interested fucks who have generated a wave of populism to support their agenda I don't know.
Treason would be my suggestion.
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/n … -tax-haven

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2019-05-23 02:05:57)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
there's nothing even remotely like a tucker carlson figure on british television, let alone the bill o'reilly's of the past (should i even mention glenn beck? didn't that guy cry in public over political frustrations more than once?) and don't even get me started on the 101 identikit outraged-liberal pundits like bill maher or stephen colbert or jon stewart... americans are giant fucking whingebags.

the european elections are a weird one. farage and UKIP have barely ever made a dent in a normal general election. they have never been a political force in the houses of parliament or local councils. voter turn-out for european parliament elections have been very low. i would be willing to bet that most of the people who are motivated to vote for the brexit party in this election have never voted in a european parliamentary election before.

it is essentially a purely symbolic gesture, voting for a party/figure who has never previously had any success in general elections. both major parties, who have all the actual power to enact change, are going to pull in <10% of the votes. one guy with a few banners and placards and a party that didn't exist 3 months ago is going to get 30%. furthermore, he is campaigning for a seat in a parliament that he actively denigrates, and has no intention of participating constructively in. we are living in strange times.

Last edited by uziq (2019-05-23 02:25:22)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
A bit like Gerry Adams then.
DesertFox-
I'm not talking about media figures and politicians, but average people. British people love a good moan about shit like the weather or improper queuing. I'm fully on board with the comparison of media, though. The Fox News sphere revolves around politics of grievance, pre-dating the network back to white people complaining about welfare queens driving Cadillacs. I never really watched Maher, but the Stewart and Colbert choice seems out of place. You could probably say John Oliver nowadays for a better example when he focuses on a mainstream issue like the Drumpf one. It is also my understanding that liberal politics Twitter is an awful place. I don't think it's necessarily recent, but getting elected to Congress with no relevant experience now also seems to be a point of pride among "government is the problem" types.
uziq
+492|3422
we like to moan about the weather and 'improper queuing'? wtf? did you get your knowledge of britain from an askreddit thread or something? don't forget that we all drink tea 5 times a day and have awful dentition! i don't think i've moaned about a queue in my whole life.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England
https://youtu.be/CTartgZ6n9Q

Last edited by Jay (2019-05-23 06:00:09)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3422
yes, a very strange national stereotype that is played up to for comedic effect. great evidence that we are all, in fact, obsessed with queuing.

i take it you eat hamburgers everyday, sleep with a gun and are never abroad without a fanny pack?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England
Guilty
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6679|England. Stoke
DesertFox-
I wouldn't offer Uzi as the stereotypical Briton. It is a stereotype, yes.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6601|949

uziq wrote:

yes, a very strange national stereotype that is played up to for comedic effect. great evidence that we are all, in fact, obsessed with queuing.

i take it you eat hamburgers everyday, sleep with a gun and are never abroad without a fanny pack?
fanny packs are utilitarian as fuck tho. It just makes sense. I like to wear mine across my chest to protect my virginity.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
If they're big enough they can deter surprise buttsex.
uziq
+492|3422

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

uziq wrote:

fanny packs are utilitarian as fuck tho. It just makes sense. I like to wear mine across my chest to protect my virginity.
ironically everyone between 17-23 here wears shoulder-slung fanny packs, the original 'anti-fashion' accessory, as some centrepiece. i think they're all meant to insinuate that the wearer is some cool rave-god drug dealer. the whole fashion is absurd. kids dressing like n*sync but with a druggy and decidedly post-tumblr twist. weird. i am getting old, i'm fine with that fact.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Good luck with Prime Minister Boris Johnson. The first time I ever heard of him is when people on here made fun of him and his disheveled look while Mayor of London in the halcyon days of the Bush administration.

What is it with conservative old white English speaking voters picking the most clownish leader they can?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3422
if BJ becomes prime minister (he probably will), i will consider it an absolute national nadir. he is a joke. i literally cannot respect a political party and a country that makes this buffoon into its leader.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6601|949

uziq wrote:

if BJ becomes prime minister (he probably will), i will consider it an absolute national nadir. he is a joke. i literally cannot respect a political party and a country that makes this buffoon into its leader.
welcome to the club!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
So what is with all of these populist parties making their way into government and the EU parliament? And why are they all corrupt and incompetent? It seems like every time a populist takes power in a democracy, they immediately begin just looting the place or rigging the next election to further loot the place. Where is the nationalist projects and aggression from these people? Where is the ambition to create a New Order or something.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

SuperJail Warden wrote:

So what is with all of these populist parties making their way into government and the EU parliament? And why are they all corrupt and incompetent? It seems like every time a populist takes power in a democracy, they immediately begin just looting the place or rigging the next election to further loot the place. Where is the nationalist projects and aggression from these people? Where is the ambition to create a New Order or something.
I guess anyone with intelligence and ambition would instead graft themselves to the existing political structure to get things done and that the incompetent populist are only in power due to flaws in the electorate rather than merit or power.
uziq
+492|3422
Larssen
+99|1857
I thought I knew and understood the history of the Chernobyl disaster until I watched the new HBO drama series about the subject. It's an entirely different experience to see the anxiety, horror and human cost of the event visualised. Simply reading about it doesn't do it justice. Some historical inaccuracies notwithstanding, it's an incredibly well made retelling of the story. Some things I didn't know about either, like the risk of a larger secondary explosion.

Honestly it's also made me reconsider support for nuclear energy production. Not because I don't think it's safe or consider a repeat of chernobyl in any way likely - but because the cost in the event of disaster is just too high a price to pay. I remember thinking Merkel was an idiot for aiming to close all nuclear plants in Germany after Fukushima, but perhaps she had the right idea all along.

Last edited by Larssen (2019-06-16 01:00:12)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Short summary: Electrical Engineer thought Mechanical Engineering and Nuclear Reactor Physics were simple stuff.

The cost of coal power is a lot higher and we'll all be paying it quite soon.
uziq
+492|3422

Larssen wrote:

I thought I knew and understood the history of the Chernobyl disaster until I watched the new HBO drama series about the subject. It's an entirely different experience to see the anxiety, horror and human cost of the event visualised. Simply reading about it doesn't do it justice. Some historical inaccuracies notwithstanding, it's an incredibly well made retelling of the story. Some things I didn't know about either, like the risk of a larger secondary explosion.

Honestly it's also made me reconsider support for nuclear energy production. Not because I don't think it's safe or consider a repeat of chernobyl in any way likely - but because the cost in the event of disaster is just too high a price to pay. I remember thinking Merkel was an idiot for aiming to close all nuclear plants in Germany after Fukushima, but perhaps she had the right idea all along.
the show was dishonest and problematic. all the stuff about the party apparatus and Bad Evil Communism was face-slappingly stupid and on the nose. the attention to detail and re-enactment stuff was very well done, but the ‘message’ and fake dramatic foils (female scientist saves the day against wrongheaded male ‘experts’) etc were hammy as fuck.

merkel pretty much was an idiot to close down all the nuclear reactors after fukushima.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard