Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Congress could probably do a better job than the Presidents frat buddies tho?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3423
trump transferred from fordham to business school at wharton for a dumbshit BS degree. i highly doubt he ever joined a fraternity.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5329|London, England
Congress has ceded most of its power to the executive branch because most of the laws they try to tackle are too difficult to think completely through in a legislative context or would be unpopular. This should be their first hint they should back off, but hey, they have to pretend they're doing something. They pass laws to set up agencies staffed with career unelected bureaucrats that write the laws themselves and are only nominally overseen by the executive branch because they are essentially unfireable. If nothing else the regulations should be presented to Congress as advice and be proposed as individual bills rather than becoming law without real oversight.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I'm more worried about unelected demented ideologues controlling foreign policy, which seems to happen without any democratic oversight, I don't care what internal laws they foist on you.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2019-05-22 15:20:35)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6603|949

Jay wrote:

Congress has ceded most of its power to the executive branch because most of the laws they try to tackle are too difficult to think completely through in a legislative context or would be unpopular. This should be their first hint they should back off, but hey, they have to pretend they're doing something. They pass laws to set up agencies staffed with career unelected bureaucrats that write the laws themselves and are only nominally overseen by the executive branch because they are essentially unfireable. If nothing else the regulations should be presented to Congress as advice and be proposed as individual bills rather than becoming law without real oversight.
lobbyists push and edit most proposed legislation in congress. You've previously argued that having industry/specialized insight is crucial and a good thing because they have the technical knowledge required to address complex ideas.  Now it's the actual members of congress at fault for...trying to push through complex laws?

I tend to agree that in general laws are too complex, but is that really the fault of congress?

Congress has ceded a lot of power to the executive branch over the last 40 years or so because we haven't had a consistently divided government.  If the same party controls congress and the executive branch, there's no incentive for each branch to check the other.  And you can't have a proper discussion about the balance of power without recognizing that every president has taken steps to further consolidate executive power, and it sure seems like its grown exponentially since at least Reagan, with each successive president building on the expansion of the previous. It's a terrible precedent, and it's bizarre to me that congress allows for ideas like a strong unitary executive theory, executive orders, and using the guise of national security for executive overreach, regardless of party affiliation.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I know it is not nice to be in a reeducation camp. But can anyone blame China for putting their Muslims in some? Wherever Muslims like among non-Muslims, they resort to violence.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6603|949

i am currently looking at a private muslim school out the window of my work. Before they did the ribbon cutting ceremony, two people came over to introduce themselves. One was the director of the school, the other was their director of public outreach (that a K-8 school has a director of public outreach is a bit sad). They brought a gift basket with cookies and crackers and let us know they had an official grand opening scheduled for the upcoming weekend, and that all the surrounding businesses were invited.

The NZ mosque shooting was the friday before their grand opening. The day of the event the only noticeable difference was a private security guard hired by the school.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Why do they need their own school? Why can't they go to regular public school?
uziq
+492|3423
why do your beloved catholics need their own schools?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Everyone is welcome at a Catholic school and Catholics don't blow themselves up at Ariana Grande concerts
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Correct, catholics blow things up by remote control.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/ca/Hyde_Park_Bombing.jpg

https://s.newsweek.com/sites/www.newsweek.com/files/styles/embed_tablet/public/2017/03/24/city-london-ira.jpg

I wouldn't allow children to be exposed to religion before they're 21, no need for religious schools then.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6603|949

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Why do they need their own school? Why can't they go to regular public school?
probs worried about white males shooting them.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Everyone is welcome at a Catholic school and Catholics don't blow themselves up at Ariana Grande concerts
Sure, that's on the brochure. The reality is that Christian students from different Christian churches are heckled and bullied all the time at these Christian religious schools. By students and sometimes staff.
uziq
+492|3423
i think macbeth is just confused why the staff at the muslim school are handing out candy to the neighbouring community rather than enticing their own pupils into backrooms with it to diddle them like his beloved catholics do.

Last edited by uziq (2019-05-29 01:22:55)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Sure, that's on the brochure. The reality is that Christian students from different Christian churches are heckled and bullied all the time at these Christian religious schools. By students and sometimes staff.
I went to a Quaker school and half my class was Jewish. We had Muslims, Sikhs, and Hindus too and absolutely no one was bullied for their religion.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3423
it really depends on the denomination. quakers are most definitely not catholics. go to a WASP'y boarding school in new england and you'll probably get bullied for being irish catholic. go to a catholic school in illinois as a little prot plebe and the old nuns will give you a hard time. the point being that schools for specific religions are hardly new and hardly a mystery. what's the problem with sikhs or muslims having their own schools?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
No problem at all AS LONG AS ITS IN THEIR OWN COUNTRY!

Why do we allow subversive cults into western countries at all?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

it really depends on the denomination. quakers are most definitely not catholics. go to a WASP'y boarding school in new england and you'll probably get bullied for being irish catholic. go to a catholic school in illinois as a little prot plebe and the old nuns will give you a hard time. the point being that schools for specific religions are hardly new and hardly a mystery. what's the problem with sikhs or muslims having their own schools?
Honestly, because people of other faiths won't attend and they are thus more likely to perpetuate otherness. The same problem occurs with Yeshivas here in NYC. The Hassids live in their own insular world full of measles and poverty.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3423
i don't really think there's a fair equivalence between average mainstream muslims and hasidim. hasidim are hardcore and are rightly regarded as an insular (if not outwardly restrictive and cult-like) group. when's the last time a hasidim school headteacher went around to local goyim businesses to make friends?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

uziq wrote:

i don't really think there's a fair equivalence between average mainstream muslims and hasidim. hasidim are hardcore and are rightly regarded as an insular (if not outwardly restrictive and cult-like) group. when's the last time a hasidim school headteacher went around to local goyim businesses to make friends?
If you are sending your kid to a Muslim school you aren't a mainstream Muslim. Unless you believe Muslims are by default insular.

Today they want to attend their own schools. Tomorrow they will want more accommodations. Prayer rooms in public buildings for instance. Specific work breaks for praying.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

Dilbert_X wrote:

Because only in western countries do we tolerate this. In Islamic countries you can't even build a church but meanwhile we have to bend over backwards to accommodate Muslims every wish here.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

uziq wrote:

If you are sending your kid to a Muslim school you aren't a mainstream Muslim. Unless you believe Muslims are by default insular.

Today they want to attend their own schools. Tomorrow they will want more accommodations. Prayer rooms in public buildings for instance. Specific work breaks for praying.
So what? That's between them and their employer.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Because only in western countries do we tolerate this. In Islamic countries you can't even build a church but meanwhile we have to bend over backwards to accommodate Muslims every wish here.
Our country was founded on religious tolerance.
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3423

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

there are churches and places of christian worship in the majority of 'islamic countries'.

not to disagree that the west isn't more tolerant. but isn't that our whole strength and unique selling point? you want to critique islam's intolerance and ... become more intolerant ourselves? great plan.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

uziq wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

there are churches and places of christian worship in the majority of 'islamic countries'.

not to disagree that the west isn't more tolerant. but isn't that our whole strength and unique selling point? you want to critique islam's intolerance and ... become more intolerant ourselves? great plan.
Churches in Muslim countries routinely get blow up by Muslims. Churches in non-Muslim countries often get blown up by Muslims.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard