uziq
+492|3422
about £40. i recently upgraded my iphone 7 in near-mint condition after having it for 2 years and brand new ones can be had on ebay for £150.

i got the iphone XS because the size of the XR/XS plus is just ridiculous. if i wanted a tablet i’d buy one.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Buying expensive phones is pretty ridiculous imo. I still use a $170 Android from 2017 and don't think I am missing anything. I can also drop or leave the phone around d without getting rattled about it.

Phones are like GPUs nowadays. Very expensive top end models that aren't much better than the midrange ones that cost way less.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3422
depends what you consider a worthy tech purchase. i haven't bought a GPU or any desktop hardware in 5+ years. i use my phone every single day, all day long at work (podcasts, music, handy translation and transcribing, etc). so a £700 phone that will be used every day for the next 2–3 years strikes me as a considerably better investment than a $1,000 desktop PC so i can lamely paw at fortnite for 4 hours a week.

do the phones need such powerful hardware? probably not. i never game on my phone or use anything graphics-intensive. the fast processing and great camera are a nice everyday bonus, though. i guess i think of it more in a day-to-day use value than a hardware-performance one. do you need your fancy desktop PC to browse bf2s?

Last edited by uziq (2019-05-20 04:48:22)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX
On the plus side my larger phone is less prone to falling out of my pocket, and once my sister gets hers set up she'll be able to facetime the cat while at work.
$400 for a phone isn't a big deal, the last one lasted five years.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

uziq wrote:

depends what you consider a worthy tech purchase. i haven't bought a GPU or any desktop hardware in 5+ years. i use my phone every single day, all day long at work (podcasts, music, handy translation and transcribing, etc). so a £700 phone that will be used every day for the next 2–3 years strikes me as a considerably better investment than a $1,000 desktop PC so i can lamely paw at fortnite for 4 hours a week.

do the phones need such powerful hardware? probably not. i never game on my phone or use anything graphics-intensive. the fast processing and great camera are a nice everyday bonus, though. i guess i think of it more in a day-to-day use value than a hardware-performance one. do you need your fancy desktop PC to browse bf2s?
All good points. I think for me a large part of it is that I expect to drop it often because I do drop my phone every so often. I also just leave the thing lying around all the time and lose it. I don't want to spend a lot of money on something I don't want to be responsible for. If that makes sense.
uziq
+492|3422
the only upside of phones becoming unnecessarily yuuuuge now is that i never leave mine around, or lose it. lots of phone cases are now designed as card/ticket holders, too, so people basically treat them as a wallet. if you're the sort of person who has been prone to losing his wallet, obviously that's not a fix. but i can't think when i've ever been out, drunk or whatever, and have just ... left my phone somewhere. this reminds me of people who don't buy expensive sunglasses or prescriptions because they 'lose' them. seriously? it's something you have on your person at all times ...

failing that, phone insurance, especially if you have it on your home policy, is really not that expensive; and all iphones have a 'find my phone' feature that is really hard to disable in the case of the phone being stolen by someone.

anyone remember that stat that bf2 used to have that showed you the value per hour of the game? would love to see that metric for lots of everyday consumer tech.

Last edited by uziq (2019-05-21 03:56:50)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I don't buy expensive watches or glasses because they're no value to me and they get routinely destroyed.
uziq
+492|3422
i spend out on glasses and shoes, as well as coats in winter, because it's something i will wear probably every day. comfort and quality are important. the thought of cheap prescription glasses with those little plastic nose pads ...
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England
I buy expensive sunglasses and always end up regretting it because the lenses scratch so easily.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5758|Catherine Black

uziq wrote:

i spend out on glasses and shoes, as well as coats in winter, because it's something i will wear probably every day. comfort and quality are important. the thought of cheap prescription glasses with those little plastic nose pads ...
ever thought about lasik?
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
uziq
+492|3422
no, actually. i quite like wearing glasses (for now). i might consider it later in life. i kind of like having the option of glasses or contacts. i will never become a person that wears lens-less glasses frames. i have to read and focus my eyes for 8–10 hours a day just for my job so i would hate to fuck with my sight in any way and introduce a discomfort.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
My eyes are pure bangin'. "you're gonna lose your eyesight sitting in front of that computer all day" said my dad, when I was probably 14. 12 years later, still 20/20. Not having to worry about contacts/glasses is really nice, and I've heard nothing but good things from people who've had it done. it'd be uncomfortable for a while, sure, but book a holiday off work.
uziq
+492|3422
glasses/contacts aren't really a worry, i don't think. they can improve a person's appearance if done right. they go well as formal accessories. i don't really think of it as some crippling disability that needs to be fixed. literally 80% of people in my industry and social milieu have glasses, anyway. we are book nerds.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I wouldn't consider lasik, lasik doesn't improve eyesight, just means you don't need to wear glassses.
With glasses my eyesight is better than 20/20, according to my optician doing visually intensive things exercises the visual centres of the brain
I need to wear some kind of glasses for safety most of the time, and I can't count the number of times something has pinged off my glasses when doing something for which I wouldn't have considered putting on safety glasses.

I did know someone who had her eyes permanently fucked by lasik, the technician mixed up the paperwork and put someone elses numbers in the machine.
uziq
+492|3422
sounds like a very handsome payout. but yes, no amount of compensation would recompense for my eyesight. lasik does sound extremely safe and cost-effective now, but i just quite ... like glasses. could be worse. could be into moustaches and groomed beards.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America
I have anxiety that I will get into a car accident and the airbag will ram or otherwise break my glasses into my face and eyeballs.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

weird fear, but okay.

I'm probably going to get lasik within the next few years.  As uzi mentioned, it's cheap and safe and pretty effective now.

Dil, how can lasik not improve eyesight if the result is no need for glasses? It reshapes the cornea. By your same logic, glasses or contacts don't improve eyesight either.  So what would you call it then?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Lasik does reshape the cornea but imperfectly and causes scarring and damage, so yes you'll be able to ditch glasses for distance vision but your vision will be less clear than if you were wearing glasses. Peripheral vision is pretty well guaranteed to be worse.
You'll have a period of shit vision, then a long period of shit night vision.
This assumes everything goes perfectly.

In the long run your lenses will stiffen, your muscles weaken and you'll inevitably have different glasses for different purposes.

So basically you're buying a few years of not wearing glasses with poorer vision, and risking complications.

I'm fine with wearing glasses as they give protection from injury and UV. If my eyesight were perfect I'd have to wear safety or sunglasses most of the time so for me lasik is pointless and risky.

But I'm thoroughly risk averse and my weird fear is having an eyeball sucked out by a vacuum cleaner.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2019-05-22 18:26:32)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Dilbert_X wrote:

On the plus side my larger phone is less prone to falling out of my pocket, and once my sister gets hers set up she'll be able to facetime the cat while at work.
$400 for a phone isn't a big deal, the last one lasted five years.
So setting fingerprint recognition for my index finger doesn't by default recognise my thumb too? FML.

Also, tying rebars is harder than it looks on youtube? Who knew?
uziq
+492|3422
my phone has faceID now. i found it creepy at first -- especially the additional feature to only activate it when you give your phone 'attention', i.e. are looking squarely at the camera -- but it's actually so fucking useful. any password for any website, any purchase in a shop, etc... just look at your phone. don't have to type anything. i don't miss fingerprint recognition at all. the best thing about the faceID is that any notifications just show a generic 'new notification' message on your default locked screen, and expand and show the content of those notifications when your face/eyes are present. worth every bit of having my face on a database somewhere in palo alto.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
At a recent event I was at a girl was showing off her faceid phone, her sister - who is a few years apart and is different - was able to open it no problem.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

Dilbert_X wrote:

At a recent event I was at a girl was showing off her faceid phone, her sister - who is a few years apart and is different - was able to open it no problem.
The police in America are now putting phones in the face of people they arrest to get access to their phones
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

The police in America are now putting phones in the face of people they arrest to get access to their phones
still illegal for them to force you to enter a pin or use a pattern
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

are you still filling your mind with sputum from the likes of stefan molyneaux and milo, or did you step back from the edge?
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
I was definitely never a molyneaux'r, and I barely sided with milo on anything, but I've completely denounced him since then. dude's an idiot. I'm all about my boi Thaddeus Russell atm.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard