KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6603|949

Dilbert_X wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Fine. But Lady Gaga's movie should have won.
But black people were oppressed 200 years ago.

I would say all the productive output of slavery is outweighed by having to be polite about Spike Lee films.

If I could I'd go back in time and sink all the slaver ships just for that.
The 13th amendment (abolishing slavery in the US) was ratified by Mississippi in 1995. The Civil Rights Act (outlawing discrimination based on race, among other things) was passed in 1964.  People's mothers and grandfathers lived through de-jure segregation, and people today live through de-facto segregation.  There are people alive who have been beaten, spat on, arrested and had many other horrible things done to them for things like trying to drink from a water fountain or trying to buy a house or trying to date a girl.  As long as imbeciles like you fail to understand the impact and inter-generational trauma of very recent history, and fail to account for very real (and very legal, and very UNCOOL) racism as it currently exists, and as long as imbeciles like you counter any push back to the status quo with ignorant statements like "duuuude, slavery happened 200 years ago, get over it bro", we will continue to have this conversation, and black people will continue to complain about their unfair treatment, both perceived and realized.
uziq
+492|3423
dilbert comes out with this shit all the time. he is a typical 'black people are using slavery as an excuse' type.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I would say all the productive output of slavery is outweighed by having to be polite about Spike Lee films.

The 13th amendment (abolishing slavery in the US) was ratified by Mississippi in 1995. The Civil Rights Act (outlawing discrimination based on race, among other things) was passed in 1964.  People's mothers and grandfathers lived through de-jure segregation, and people today live through de-facto segregation.  There are people alive who have been beaten, spat on, arrested and had many other horrible things done to them for things like trying to drink from a water fountain or trying to buy a house or trying to date a girl.  As long as imbeciles like you fail to understand the impact and inter-generational trauma of very recent history, and fail to account for very real (and very legal, and very UNCOOL) racism as it currently exists, and as long as imbeciles like you counter any push back to the status quo with ignorant statements like "duuuude, slavery happened 200 years ago, get over it bro", we will continue to have this conversation, and black people will continue to complain about their unfair treatment, both perceived and realized.
I have been in rooms with dozens of black kids before. Most of them were respectful, kind, and intelligent. A bunch of them were rude and very aggressive though. The black admins told us "that's just their culture. They have hard lives". I don't buy that argument or yours about historical injustice. If there are plenty of kids in the same room from the same neighborhood who are great kids, the rest of them don't have an excuse.

When I used to teach in the Spanish ghetto, it was the black students who were always problems. Plenty of pleasant immigrant children with hard lives too. When I taught kids in Newark, it was like a zoo. I teach in the suburbs now and again the suburban black kids in nice neighborhoods are still a problem. Same negative behavior, and taste as the ghetto kids.

I admit I have always been aggressive towards black people and I do play up the half white thing and upbringing to my benefit with work and (white) women. But I did go through a phase on here when I was incredibly critical of police and treatment of black people. I actually went into Newark with high hopes and plans to help and got a rude awakening about black culture.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6077|eXtreme to the maX

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I think black people wearing clothes is cultural appropriation, they shouldn't be allowed to.

They're free to return to Africa whenever they like, and yet they never do, bizarre no?

You'd think they'd hate being surrounded by their oppressors, but apparently they like it better than living amongst their peers.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2019-02-27 00:15:12)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3423
you really are an obtuse fucking moron. what's depressing is you're just as boneheaded and wrong about scientific as well as social facts.

you need to move out of your parents' house and work on becoming a less bitter and maladjusted person.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5329|London, England

SuperJail Warden wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

I have been in rooms with dozens of black kids before. Most of them were respectful, kind, and intelligent. A bunch of them were rude and very aggressive though. The black admins told us "that's just their culture. They have hard lives". I don't buy that argument or yours about historical injustice. If there are plenty of kids in the same room from the same neighborhood who are great kids, the rest of them don't have an excuse.

When I used to teach in the Spanish ghetto, it was the black students who were always problems. Plenty of pleasant immigrant children with hard lives too. When I taught kids in Newark, it was like a zoo. I teach in the suburbs now and again the suburban black kids in nice neighborhoods are still a problem. Same negative behavior, and taste as the ghetto kids.

I admit I have always been aggressive towards black people and I do play up the half white thing and upbringing to my benefit with work and (white) women. But I did go through a phase on here when I was incredibly critical of police and treatment of black people. I actually went into Newark with high hopes and plans to help and got a rude awakening about black culture.
Black Rednecks and White Liberals https://www.amazon.com/dp/1594031436/re … DCbVM6NCE0
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Going to need a tl;dr, Jay.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5329|London, England
I discussed it a bit in d&st but it basically boils down to the lie that black culture is organic and unique to ghetto people. It was just the white redneck culture that they picked up when living and working with the rednecks down south and took north with them to the cities. It's a celebration of ignorance clothed in the language and history of the black pride movement. Any criticism made by white people is taken as a badge of honor and proof of white privilege. The kids that drive you nuts have immense social pressure from their peers to not "act white". It's not really solvable unless successful blacks show them that ignorance doesn't get them anywhere, but when they do they are called Uncle Tom's and sellouts by the people who make a lot of money creating division and distrust i.e. Farrakhans and Sharptons and the like. Malcolm X was the worst possible thing to happen to black people and he's treated like a demigod.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Going to need a tl;dr, Jay.
It's a Sowell book so probably some sweeping libertarian claims left unexplained beyond mere statement, cherrypicking, and argumentation against caricatured opinion.

Blues Brothers - longer than I remembered / 10
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6603|949

not a fan of Thomas Sowell at all.  He likes to take simple observations and spin them in to some grand narrative.  Often it's a stretch, sometimes it's not well developed, and rarely he simply puts forward an explanation but doesn't offer any evidence.

I'm sure he and Ben Carson and Jason Whitlock get along very well.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

I discussed it a bit in d&st but it basically boils down to the lie that black culture is organic and unique to ghetto people. It was just the white redneck culture that they picked up when living and working with the rednecks down south and took north with them to the cities. It's a celebration of ignorance clothed in the language and history of the black pride movement. Any criticism made by white people is taken as a badge of honor and proof of white privilege. The kids that drive you nuts have immense social pressure from their peers to not "act white". It's not really solvable unless successful blacks show them that ignorance doesn't get them anywhere, but when they do they are called Uncle Tom's and sellouts by the people who make a lot of money creating division and distrust i.e. Farrakhans and Sharptons and the like. Malcolm X was the worst possible thing to happen to black people and he's treated like a demigod.
Once everything is someone else's fault and its passed down the generations its hard to unpick.
The Jews could take a lesson here, they've been playing that card for about 2,000 years.
uziq
+492|3423
except they haven't. you really don't know your history.
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6680|England. Stoke

uziq wrote:

except they haven't. you really don't know your history.
No he just hates Jews and Blacks and everyone else, but then claims everyone else is playing the victim card, whilst blaming them for the shitty life he leads...
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I've never blamed anyone for anything, they have been complaining about being victimised for about 2,000 years
https://www.kabbalah.info/bb/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Why-Do-People-Hate-Jews-Infographic_800x3397.png
http://www.kabbalah.info/bb/why-do-people-hate-jews/

Of course its irrational anti-semtism though.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2019-03-01 00:54:03)

uziq
+492|3423
great piece of propaganda. you have a weird paucity of imagination and sympathy when it comes to peoples who have suffered historically. sorry but i’m not going to be a dick to a black person whose grandmother lost everything in a tulsa race riot or a jew whose grandparents can remember pogroms. neither black directors making political films nor jews being touchy about anti-semitism personally bother me.

it’s a little weird that you take such a personal affront to it all. you making out that the jews are complaining about being slaves to the pharaohs or black people talking about being taken from the shores of west africa is disingenuous in the extreme. no one is relying upon a perceived ill from “2,000 years ago”. the shit is very real and has happened in our time.

ever heard the saying ‘injustice plus time does not equal justice’? doesn’t that have some personal relevance for you, hm?

btw, spike lee’s movies aren’t great but they’re better than that asinine wonder woman shit you’re into.

Last edited by uziq (2019-03-01 01:43:05)

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
It bothers me that the "rates" of anti-Semitic acts are not expressed as rates.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I remember when I went to Rutgers there was this massive Jewish center right on the main campus street next the student center. Almost 20% of the undergrad population was Jewish too. There were always dueling Israel-Palenstein rallies in front of the student center.

I could see how people would be annoyed by that. I never had any issues with Jewish people though and they usually are enthusiastic to teach you about their culture.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

uziq wrote:

btw, spike lee’s movies aren’t great but they’re better than that asinine wonder woman shit you’re into.
I do think the focus on plugging all these comic book movies into some IKEA timeline in some way hobbles their individuality. It would probably be awkward for Wonder Woman to sit at the pompous Justice League table with Batman and Superman after she spent a vacation beheading rapist soldiers at some military occupation.
uziq
+492|3423

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I remember when I went to Rutgers there was this massive Jewish center right on the main campus street next the student center. Almost 20% of the undergrad population was Jewish too. There were always dueling Israel-Palenstein rallies in front of the student center.

I could see how people would be annoyed by that. I never had any issues with Jewish people though and they usually are enthusiastic to teach you about their culture.
i actually don’t understand why people would be annoyed about two groups being affected by an issue and campaigning about it? isn’t that a healthy democracy where people protest and voice their opinions? at worst the whole situation simply doesn’t apply to you — in which case why sweat it? makes about as much sense as being upset that people are wearing yellow vests in france.

Last edited by uziq (2019-03-01 08:54:07)

uziq
+492|3423

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

uziq wrote:

I do think the focus on plugging all these comic book movies into some IKEA timeline in some way hobbles their individuality. It would probably be awkward for Wonder Woman to sit at the pompous Justice League table with Batman and Superman after she spent a vacation beheading rapist soldiers at some military occupation.
i honestly have no time for people who make serious critiques of comic franchise movies or express disappointment at their ‘direction’. reminds me of star wars nerds. that shit never was good, it never was art, it was never anything more than an entertaining space opera to extract maximal cash. being disappointed that your giant franchise isn’t being scrupulous about artistic values and integrity seems slightly misplaced.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

uziq wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

i actually don’t understand why people would be annoyed about two groups being affected by an issue and campaigning about it? isn’t that a healthy democracy where people protest and voice their opinions? at worst the whole situation simply doesn’t apply to you — in which case why sweat it? makes about as much sense as being upset that people are wearing yellow vests in france.
The thing about it that was annoying was that there was always drama about it. Investigations, allegations of intimidation, bullying etc. They had writers for the school paper whose sole job was to investigate and shame people accused of antisemitism. And there is a problem when an ethnic territorial dispute on the other side of the world is sucking up all the air in New Jersey campus politics.

That said, I support the Israeli side anyway.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

uziq wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

uziq wrote:

i honestly have no time for people who make serious critiques of comic franchise movies or express disappointment at their ‘direction’. reminds me of star wars nerds. that shit never was good, it never was art, it was never anything more than an entertaining space opera to extract maximal cash. being disappointed that your giant franchise isn’t being scrupulous about artistic values and integrity seems slightly misplaced.
I think I mention too much nerd shit in my class because I just had a 14 year old nerd out and ask me a bunch of comic book questions before class. The shitty part is that I knew all of the answers too.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6603|949

i feel that way about the oscars - it absolutely boggles my mind that people follow an industry and actors, watch a show dedicated to giving out industry awards, and actively root for or against certain actors to win awards and then take up space writing about it.

"Today, in the National Pig Association's Annual Awards, the Golden Swine goes to.....Farmer Roy from the Oink Oink farm, for his prized 700llb pot belly, 'Sue-ey'.  Everyone give a round of applause. Come up here Roy, let's hear a speech!"

"First and foremost I'd like to thank our Lord and savoir Jesus Christ, through him all things are possible.  Thanks to my fertilizer rep for giving me the ability to create some great feed, thank you to my farmhands for treating Sue-ey with white gloves, and thank you to my wife for putting up with the long days and my obsession to my craft.  They say if you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig, but gosh darn if I didn't just prove those city slickers wrong with this big win today."
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6746|Moscow, Russia
i've never been able to watch that freak show. tried a few times, but just couldn't make myself sit through it.
what could one possibly be watching that crap for?
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6603|949

i think a lot of people watch it to have something to talk about with their coworkers or acquaintances the next day.  Banal small talk conversation starters when you run in to Karen at the water cooler.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard