DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America
Fusion was near the top of my list when buying a car. Always been a Focus/Fiesta fan, too. Just didn't have the tank capacity/MPG combo I was looking for.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England
Nearly every car I see on the road here in new york is an import. I saw a Chevy Cruze for the first time yesterday. I know new york isn't the whole country, but we are the largest auto market and the only american vehicles I see on the road are pickups or mid/full size SUVs. They're throwing in the towel and embracing comparative advantage.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX
Western companies just can't make the money on small cars, due to labour rates etc.
Assembly labour doesn't vary much with vehicle size.

That and US car-makers are well behind every curve due to entrenched conservatism, risk-aversion and boofhead mindset.
Try standing up at a meeting at a US auto-maker and saying the next model should be smaller, slower and more fuel-efficient than the previous model.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Western companies just can't make the money on small cars, due to labour rates etc.
Assembly labour doesn't vary much with vehicle size.

That and US car-makers are well behind every curve due to entrenched conservatism, risk-aversion and boofhead mindset.
Try standing up at a meeting at a US auto-maker and saying the next model should be smaller, slower and more fuel-efficient than the previous model.
You'd be laughed out of the room. They are making noise about going electric soon, but it probably has more to do with seeing how fast Teslas can go than anything to do with fuel efficiency. Electric motors are far superior for torque and acceleration (and ghastly for tires).

Also, Musk saved them billions on R&D by releasing his patents.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
In other news, over 600 miles I've managed 30.4 mpg with my new Impreza. My old Ford Explorer averaged 15.6. #winning
-Frederick Bastiat
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6443|6 6 4 oh, I forget

So the roof decidec to shed its skin. Now I got 6ft of wet and muy heavy snow in front of the porch. Fuck me.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Use a blowtorch
-Frederick Bastiat
Ultrafunkula

Was thinking of using the pressure washer or ask a local garrison if they could lend me some napalm. Then I picked up the shovel and now I got a slim path.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
That's why people moved out of the land of always winter
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Ultrafunkula

Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5758|Catherine Black
I would put a post in AOG but dead forum. Anyone been playing apex?
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
uziq
+492|3422
simply cannot care about these battle royale games. i feel like they've gradually removed the suspense and long build-up that (original/beta) day-z did so well.

not to mention they are all over-monetised as shit.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
All valid points but BR is a competent different genre than whatever the dayz mod was. You should give it a bash, it's got hints of quake in its dna.
Ultrafunkula

uziq wrote:

simply cannot care about these battle royale games. i feel like they've gradually removed the suspense and long build-up that (original/beta) day-z did so well.

not to mention they are all over-monetised as shit.
That mod was amazing in the beginning. Especially the fear and nuisance of getting bit to death and having to run for 25min to your dead body for all the junk you collected. That only made the effort of staying alive quite something. Plus getting revenge if some player killed you for that ghillie suit you just found. The br games have evolved quite a bit after that mod and now imo they just look like a massive cod game with some new features for adhd kids. Not my cup of anything.
uziq
+492|3422

Finray wrote:

All valid points but BR is a competent different genre than whatever the dayz mod was. You should give it a bash, it's got hints of quake in its dna.
lmao no it does not. spoken like someone who has never played quake at a decent level. hopping around or hiding in bushes is not what quake is about. neither is spamming structure building. quake is primarily a 1v1 game built around tight map control, timing, and using a wide range of very different and very situational weapons (which all take a good learning curve to get good with). fortnite is nothing the fuck like it at all.
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6679|England. Stoke
TBF he was referring to apex not fortnite.
I played a few games of it the other it seems ok actually
uziq
+492|3422
oh, my bad in that case.

i just started up cs:go for the first time in ages and i don't even recognise valve games anymore. whatever happened to minimal, sleek, unassuming menus? the splash image with a tiny little minimal menu? that entire aesthetic was great. now it takes you 10 minutes to even learn the menus and diving structure. it's the same with dota2. jesus christ does the next generation of gamers all have extreme ADHD?

i actually really miss that minimal, camo-green steam aesthetic that was around in the days of cs 1.5/6/cz. such a sexy time to have a gaming pc. that and xfire.

also, it's truly sad how much these games have been monetised. jesus christ half of the screen in cs:go now is basically retail space. £8 for a ticket for a gaming tournament, promoted as prominently on the home screen as your own gamer profile. i'm sure i sound old and outdated as fuck but that is heavily lame.

Last edited by uziq (2019-02-18 12:51:44)

uziq
+492|3422
just watched a few gameplay videos of apex. literally nothing like quake in movement, weapons, aiming ... anything. i mean yeah, sure, it's like quake in that you have guns and you need to shoot people with them. the engine/movement reminds me a bit of battlefield bad company or something. perhaps mixed with that super fail parkour game that came out a few years ago and died without a trace, the one that let you slide around and haul yourself up ledges. because, yeah, that's what arena shooters like quake always missed! bulky and uninterruptible animations!

Last edited by uziq (2019-02-18 13:24:35)

Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
fortnite is for children and sucks complete ass
uziq
+492|3422
all of those battle royale games seem designed for children. they are extremely short attention span and gimmicky. they seem to be designed from the ground up for cash-stores, skins, loot crates, etc. i honestly can't imagine a bunch of adult dudes sitting down to get 'serious' about fortnite or that apex shit like a bunch of guys could fall into a squad back in the days of bf2.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro

uziq wrote:

just watched a few gameplay videos of apex. literally nothing like quake in movement, weapons, aiming ... anything. i mean yeah, sure, it's like quake in that you have guns and you need to shoot people with them. the engine/movement reminds me a bit of battlefield bad company or something. perhaps mixed with that super fail parkour game that came out a few years ago and died without a trace, the one that let you slide around and haul yourself up ledges. because, yeah, that's what arena shooters like quake always missed! bulky and uninterruptible animations!
that response btw is exactly why I worded that like I did. It has "hints of quake in its dna", not referencing any specific trait of the game, I was more referencing how it feels to play. you speed around the map launching yourself off stuff and sliding about to keep your momentum up, there's no fall damage, everything feels so fluid, you just bomb about the place. there's variety in the weaponry, the sound engine is just absolutely perfect, the game runs smooth as fuck, it's just a great experience overall. a breath of fresh air compared to the rest of the shit the gaming industry is churning out.

Last edited by Finray (2019-02-18 14:09:36)

Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
it's free give it a download and try it out you grumpy old bastard
uziq
+492|3422
at this point i need to spend about £600 before i can get into any current-gen game and none of them are worth an ordinary £40 retail price.
uziq
+492|3422

Finray wrote:

uziq wrote:

that response btw is exactly why I worded that like I did. It has "hints of quake in its dna", not referencing any specific trait of the game, I was more referencing how it feels to play. you speed around the map launching yourself off stuff and sliding about to keep your momentum up, there's no fall damage, everything feels so fluid, you just bomb about the place. there's variety in the weaponry, the sound engine is just absolutely perfect, the game runs smooth as fuck, it's just a great experience overall. a breath of fresh air compared to the rest of the shit the gaming industry is churning out.
and it's sad that this rabid praise is for a game that is basically managing to get the absolute basics right that games had in 1995. smooth movement! an engine that doesn't make you feel like you're carrying water barrels on your back! weapons with personality!
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro

uziq wrote:

Finray wrote:

uziq wrote:

and it's sad that this rabid praise is for a game that is basically managing to get the absolute basics right that games had in 1995. smooth movement! an engine that doesn't make you feel like you're carrying water barrels on your back! weapons with personality!
I completely agree, gaming is in a horrible state, but honestly, apex is a diamond in the rough.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard