KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6601|949

Jay wrote:

I have a celtic cross on my leg wrapped in thorns. It was supposed to be barbed wire, as in, stay away, christianity sucks, but I got it in Georgia and the tattoo artist was religious and refused to do the barbed wire. When people see it now, they assume I'm religious and compliment it, so it works out I guess. When you're 19, militant atheism is cool and shocking. When you're approaching 40 it's embarrassing. Thank you Mr. Religious Tattoo Artist, you saved me from having it removed with a laser.
One of my brothers has a celtic cross tattooed on him. He also has the anti-swastika tattoos that were all the rage in the punk scene on both forearms.  He left for boot camp with no tattoos and came back with I think 5. Teenagers make dumb decisions.  He has had to wear long sleeves to every job he's had since he got out of the Marines.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
The only teachers I know that have tattoos are the gym and art teachers. The art teacher has two big colorful sleeves, pink hair streaks, and a nose ring. Art teacher as fuck.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5327|London, England

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jay wrote:

I have a celtic cross on my leg wrapped in thorns. It was supposed to be barbed wire, as in, stay away, christianity sucks, but I got it in Georgia and the tattoo artist was religious and refused to do the barbed wire. When people see it now, they assume I'm religious and compliment it, so it works out I guess. When you're 19, militant atheism is cool and shocking. When you're approaching 40 it's embarrassing. Thank you Mr. Religious Tattoo Artist, you saved me from having it removed with a laser.
One of my brothers has a celtic cross tattooed on him. He also has the anti-swastika tattoos that were all the rage in the punk scene on both forearms.  He left for boot camp with no tattoos and came back with I think 5. Teenagers make dumb decisions.  He has had to wear long sleeves to every job he's had since he got out of the Marines.
I left the army with 3, but the other two are on my chest and upper back so people only see them if I'm swimming.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX
I have none!
Thinking about "Nobody gets my organs"

Today I saw some old dear clonk some other old dears car with her car and drive off.
I noted the rego and gave my business card to the latter.
Not all superheroes wear capes I guess.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2019-01-29 01:49:09)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422

SuperJail Warden wrote:

doesn't he have the pepsi logo on his leg or am i thinking of someone else?
poseidon had the grateful dead logo.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5758|Catherine Black

Dilbert_X wrote:

I have none!
Thinking about "Nobody gets my organs"
Is that just a meme or do you not wanna donate your stuff?
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
https://i.gifer.com/Avnb.gif
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6443|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Ultrafunkula wrote:

Mitch wrote:

Graduated nursing school. Working as an RN now. Feelsgoodman.
Congrats! I'm finally getting a formal degree of sorts in IT. Shoulda done this 10 years ago when I started in IT, but oh well... Doing 8 online courses and basically that's it. Also applied to a BBA school, but of course that thing was the second most popular choice that ppl clicked on... Still waiting further info on the process of that. Feels kinda odd to be studying after a 20 year break
Got the certificate today for the IT degree. Good thing old farts can do stuff like this too with small effort. I'm also eligible for a 395€ scholarship since this is a new field for me. Nice little bonus to waste on the 40th bday this spring. Now to look at some new stuff to study. AWS looks like good stuff to learn.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6601|949

nice, i took a certificate program last year for web development.  Having literally zero experience in any type of coding beyond some very simple visual basic, it was like drinking from a fire hose at first.  It took 6 months but it was a nice skill to add to the repertoire.  The only issues I didn't like was that the realtime database we used was firebase, which isn't THAT widely used, and even though we had a crash course in CSS, we relied heavily on bootstrap for the framework.

I'd be interested in taking another course, but the time sink was pretty rough.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America
I'd be interested in learning anything about coding. I don't know how specifically it could help my career at all, but it seems it could be an asset to know something like that as a bit of future-proofing. People already think I'm a computer whiz because I can actually competently use Excel and understand basic logical functions.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

It's not a bad skill to pick up even if you have no immediate practical use for it. You already mentioned future proofing, and some concepts carry from language to language. I picked up a bunch during college, but I don't think it's a job I'd particularly enjoy unless it was in relation to games.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Every kid is learning coding, there will be a dearth of people willing and able to pick up hand tools.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
There's a bunch of kids who aren't smart enough to be anything else but wrench turners.
uziq
+492|3422
coding is useful but it's one of those jobs with a dangerous overlap with labour markets like india, where people have passable english language skills and will do the same coding for lots cheaper. of course there's a huge market for certain types of coder/data scientist in the west, and that's not going to change anytime soon, but in general i would say most of the donkey-work of coding, like all IT jobs, is going to be massively undercut by developing labour abroad (especially as their education and english language skills improve).

the wrench turning comment reminds me of a funny bit by stanhope:

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6601|949

uziq wrote:

coding is useful but it's one of those jobs with a dangerous overlap with labour markets like india, where people have passable english language skills and will do the same coding for lots cheaper. of course there's a huge market for certain types of coder/data scientist in the west, and that's not going to change anytime soon, but in general i would say most of the donkey-work of coding, like all IT jobs, is going to be massively undercut by developing labour abroad (especially as their education and english language skills improve).

the wrench turning comment reminds me of a funny bit by stanhope:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsPDT5qHtZ4
kind of, but passable english and being able to properly use syntax and language in coding are huge differences.  Look at the nonsense SEO threads here for example - yes, there are english words strung together in sentences, but they are no means coherent or approaching a level beyond a 10 year-old's grasp of the language.

The concepts and logic can be taught to anyone with half a brain, and as mentioned above by others, there are numerous logical and constructive elements that can be useful in other areas, but people already have issues with using and revising code that hasn't been developed in house; outsourcing exacerbates that frustration.

I think most of the "donkey work" as you so eloquently put it will be replaced by code modules and snippets, but those may be put together by developing labor!  There's been a huge push to migrate native applications to the web (and "cloud"), so there's a lot of opportunity in the web dev world.  I was far more interested in the backend mechanics and integration than writing a cool javascript program, but it all was good learning.
uziq
+492|3422
i mean passable english and just-as-good coding skills. the passable english part meaning that there's relatively little obstacle to off-shoring lots of routine coding or technical work. i didn't mean to imply that being able to understand latin grammar means you can code fluently lol.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I heard China produces more engineers per year than the U.S. does. I am sure they are lower quality but China is trying to build it up too.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6601|949

I heard China has 4x the population of the U.S.

Made in China 2025 is a real plan.  They are trying to accelerate from a majority manufacturing economy into more tech and services.

One of the benefits of an strong centralized, authoritarian government is they can enact years-long plans on a massive scale and control the execution of that plan.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
In engineering terms the Chinese are around level with the rest of the world, and central planning means they can run mega-projects.

India could remain third-world forever.
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6443|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Plus China already has a massive wall. The US doesn't.

Some companies in Finland have started to bring back their IT from India. They're fed up with the crap quality they're getting. When I was working for a big global IT company the guys over here were depressed on mondays since they had to fix the shit the offshore folks had done over weekend. The ppl changing over there was insane. They weren't interested in training the staff. When someone continued to do lousy work they just got the next guy standing outside the door and said bye to the last one.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I heard China has 4x the population of the U.S.

Made in China 2025 is a real plan.  They are trying to accelerate from a majority manufacturing economy into more tech and services.

One of the benefits of an strong centralized, authoritarian government is they can enact years-long plans on a massive scale and control the execution of that plan.
They also misallocate and squander tremendous amounts of both human and material resources. Sure, they get stuff done, but it's inefficient, brute force, and completely inelegant. Quality control is completely absent because the end result of a finished product they can put in a report as progress is the only thing that matters to bureaucrats.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
In our capitalist country we just don't build anything useful anymore period.

I like the concept of a Green New Deal. Weather proofing older homes, flood walls, sewers etc. would be a fantastic thing to do.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

In our capitalist country we just don't build anything useful anymore period.

I like the concept of a Green New Deal. Weather proofing older homes, flood walls, sewers etc. would be a fantastic thing to do.
All of that stuff is already being done. There are already state agencies that subsidize home improvements to make them more energy efficient. People get rebates when they install energy star rated appliances. It just doesn't get headlines because it's not sexy and the money is spent by the millions rather than trillions.

Most of this stuff gets taken care of in the building code. Most municipalities, NYC included, take the International Building Code as their own, including the International Energy Code. Whenever someone submits work for a permit it's required to comply with the building codes. This code sets standards for everything from ventilation, to fire protection, to framing and insulation. Again, this is not sexy stuff that will "remake the world" but it already exists and has been implemented. It's boring incremental change, but it's already occurring.

David Brooks and his desire for big grandiose projects like the Three Gorges Dam can suck a dick. Real progress is made every day, he just wants some big gesture that he can feel proud of as an American. Look around, our cities are wondrously complex and surprisingly efficient. He just can't see the millions of people working every day to improve and maintain everything because he's an elitist piece of shit that turns his nose up at the sorts that perform the work. We have no more rivers to dam and nearly every green energy project gets NIMBY'd to death. The greatest infrastructure project approved in the past dozen years was a stupid train through the california central valley that will lose money hand over fist for its entire lifespan.

Last edited by Jay (2019-02-07 08:50:05)

-Frederick Bastiat
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America
We're still not doing nearly enough to compensate for how inefficient our lives are. Hell, Ford stopped making sedans because people are back on this godawful SUV/crossover craze. There may not be any new TVA style projects, but it's going to cost a pretty penny to properly maintain our existing infrastructure to where it should be.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

DesertFox- wrote:

We're still not doing nearly enough to compensate for how inefficient our lives are. Hell, Ford stopped making sedans because people are back on this godawful SUV/crossover craze. There may not be any new TVA style projects, but it's going to cost a pretty penny to properly maintain our existing infrastructure to where it should be.
No, Ford stopped making sedans because Americans don't buy Ford sedans. Do you want a Taurus? When was the last time you saw an American sedan on the highway and didn't automatically assume it was an undercover cop?
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard