Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
What concerns me more than teachers is the narcissistic assholes I've known who went into medicine purely for the money and prestige, they don't give a fuck about people thats for sure.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
you can read about unhappy well-bred men being forced into years of drudgery in their ‘expected’ paths through law or medicine school in the 19th century. it’s nothing new. william james, possibly america’s greatest thinker, had an existential crisis and depression when forced to do medicine; henry james, possibly the greatest man of letters, somewhat unbelievably did his time at harvard law school. those professions are always going to be full of the children of the well-to-do who would rather be something else.

on the other hand paying a physician enough to have a waterfront property in two different cities probably has something to do with attracting a fair share of shysters.

Last edited by uziq (2018-12-11 00:40:34)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
These were people who were attracted by the money as children.

I tire of hearing medical people say "I toil to help people, I do it for the love of the people" at $1000+/hr

I'm also tired of seeing people paying a fortune for shit advice. Many experts are really not, often they're 20 years out of date.
uziq
+492|3422
i don't have a problem with doctors being paid towards the top of the national payscale. i don't think that contravenes their hippocratic oath or ideals. it's a bit like earlier when you raised the fact that the CEOs of charities live nice lifestyles as some 'proof' of their venality and hypocrisy. if you want to attract the most superior talent, you do have to basically compete with a national labour market; and i'd rather have well-paid and happy doctors than shoddy ones because all the smart young people were dragged into being electricians or surveyors.

it's a matter of degree rather than principle. physicians in the states aren't just at the top of the salary scale -- half of them are veritable health entrepreneurs.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
By 'nice lifestyle' I'm talking about charities where the directors pocket half the turnover and live like kings.

Obviously its a matter of degree. Doctors charging $500 for poking their head around a door and asking "Everything going OK?" as a technician does their work is theft.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Saturday I will be volunteering at a local soup kitchen. And on Christmas day, I will be helping with a feast at a local Lutheran church. Very excited.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Thought I had a nasty, incurable and contagious disease.
Turns out I was wrong.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Explain
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
No thanks.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6745|Moscow, Russia
ow.
can we at least play a guessing game?

herpes?
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
No games
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6745|Moscow, Russia
No fun.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
No-one said life was fun.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Hiv?

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2018-12-20 05:16:34)

coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6679|England. Stoke
I'm going for Hepatitis.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Leprosy
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I said no games.
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6679|England. Stoke
Why even post about it then?
Is it attention seeking syndrome?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Polio
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6593|Little Bentcock
Golden Staph
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Well anyway, I'm going to take it to be the gypsies warning.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I got an Amazon Echo Plus and a bunch of smart light bulbs. So I can turn off my lights with my voice now. Amazing. I am going to get more smart devices.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Still waiting for a Joi.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I got an Amazon Echo Plus and a bunch of smart light bulbs. So I can turn off my lights with my voice now. Amazing. I am going to get more smart devices.
Did you already set them up? I've heard a lot of horror stories from people doing DIY Smart Home installs.  I'm interested to hear your experience.

You could even say i'm hoping that you'll keep us updated.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Did you already set them up? I've heard a lot of horror stories from people doing DIY Smart Home installs.  I'm interested to hear your experience.

You could even say i'm hoping that you'll keep us updated.
Well first off my parents bought me the wrong one from Best Buy. They bought me the second generation Echo which was $89.99, they should have bought me the second generation echo plus. Same exact box and look but one says plus and cost $149.99 alone but $149.99 with a free bulb on Amazon.com. Anyway the Echo plus has a built in hub that works with almost everything. The regular echo doesn't have a built in hub and you instead have to buy and set up a hub device. I think each different manufacturer has their own hubs if they even decide to make a hub and not just use the Amazon on board hub. Once you have the echo plus linked to your Amazon account, Amazon will let you know if you need a hub or not to run whatever you want to buy. After I got the Echo Plus, I haven't seen a product that needs a hub since. If you go to Best Buy, they have an entire section of Echo devices and shit that works with it too.

tl;dr Get the Echo Plus

Setting everything up was super easy. You just need to connect the free phone app to your Echo. If you don't ever feel like talking to your echo, you can use the app to do things too and the app is pretty snappy. I didn't have to fuck with the bulbs to put them into pairing mode or anything as soon as they were screwed in and power went to it, the Echo picked them up and let my phone know. When you set up the bulbs, you can tell the Echo which room you are putting it in so you can control your "bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, living room" etc. independently. You can dime the lights or turn off each light individually. So I can say "dim light 1 5%" or "dim bedroom lights 50%".

tl;dr very easy to set up and use.

Also be careful when you go to buy some smart home device. Google has their competing Google Home device. Google also owns Nest which makes a ton of smart devices. Nest says their shit works with the Echo but probably not as well as it should be since it is a competing platform so just stick with Amazon Echo only devices for best support.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard