War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6684|Purplicious Wisconsin

DesertFox- wrote:

I recently read this profile of a national leader.

"His primary rules were: never allow the public to cool off; never admit a fault or wrong; never concede that there may be some good in your enemy; never leave room for alternatives; never accept blame; concentrate on one enemy at a time and blame him for everything that goes wrong; people will believe a big lie sooner than a little one; and if you repeat it frequently enough people will sooner or later believe it."

Spoiler (highlight to read):
It's Hitler, if that wasn't blatantly obvious by the "big lie", but it sure as shit sounds like Trump
Lol
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6679|England. Stoke

coke wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

I recently read this profile of a national leader.

"His primary rules were: concentrate on one enemy at a time and blame him for everything that goes wrong."

Spoiler (highlight to read):
It's Hitler, if that wasn't blatantly obvious by the "big lie", but it sure as shit sounds like Trump
TBH though he fucked up big time on this one.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I think it's sadly telling that a lot of American right-wingers will just assume something like this, whether or not it's made up, is about Trump and still jump in to defend him. Seen it a lot, and I still don't really know how to feel about it. Mostly disappointed, I suppose.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

coke wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

The last time a holy site in Jerusalem was actually destroyed was in the time of Herod, since then nothing AFAIK.
Except messianic jews have been agitating and attempting to destroy the Temple Mount.

So why would you not trust the Palestinians to look after holy sites in Jerusalem, when they have done nothing, but trust the jews when a core tenet of their fairy stories is that the muslims third holiest site must be destroyed and they've been actively working towards it?
How have they been actively working towards destroying it exactly?
In June 1969 an Australian tried to set fire to Al-Aqsa;
on April 11, 1982 a Jew hid in the Dome of the Rock and sprayed gunfire, killing 2 Palestinians and wounding 44;
in 1974, 1977 and 1983 groups led by Yoel Lerner conspired to blow up both the Dome of the Rock and Al-Aqsa;
on 26 January 1984 Waqf guards detected members of B'nei Yehuda, a messianic cult of former gangsters turned mystics based in Lifta, trying to infiltrate the area to blow it up.
On 12 October 1990 Palestinian Muslims protested violently the intention of some extremist Jews to lay a cornerstone on the site for a New Temple as a prelude to the destruction of the Muslim mosques. The attempt was blocked by Israeli authorities.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_Mount
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
There's no war on Christmas but efforts to minimize the Christian aspect of it is misguided at best.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

the complaints about stripping the christian aspect out of a co-opted pagan holiday are more constant, louder and more annoying than any effort to actually strip the christian aspect out of christmas.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
You have to be careful wishing people merry Christmas because Muslims might be offended.
uziq
+492|3422
you really don't. jesus is a prophet in islam.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I can't make up my mind between the Roman and Greek gods.
Leaning towards Greek at present.
uziq
+492|3422
they are mostly the same pantheon. depends how much you like etruscan culture. romans had a more impersonal concept of their gods. the greek gods were like a squabbling shapeshifting reality tv show.

but jesus is considered a real historical personage in islam, of real importance in the history of abrahamic religions; muslims accept that he performed miracles. there is no moderate muslim who will be offended about someone celebrating the birth of jesus (the invention of the idea of the 'birth' of jesus as a child isn't actually much older than islam itself). this idea that islam somehow has a unique problem accepting the existence of the other two religions that grew from the same root is a little bit nonsensical. in any case, the idea of a festival on the winter solstice was kicking around in the middle-east for a long time before islam and christianity (cf. the sol invictus roman cult centred around a syrian sun deity, elagabalus). the idea of a christmas celebration is not exactly alien.

There's no war on Christmas but efforts to minimize the Christian aspect of it is misguided at best.
culturally, there's no quarrel that christmas is the christian's terrain. but it wasn't part of early christian religion and had little significance for the first 400 years of its theology. christmas was invented at about the time that the (supposed) person of jesus began to pass out of collective memory. and the church fathers had a ready local tradition to seize upon when shopping around for extant festivals/calendar dates. modern christmas is full of 'pagan' imagery in the sense of european-germanic imagery: trees, ruddy cheeked men with white beards, etc. but the actual pagan roots of christmas come from middle-east sun cults. no shit that the solstices and harvest periods were a big deal in the cradle of agricultural civilisation.

Last edited by uziq (2018-12-12 02:01:45)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I wonder if you could sell a show where some reality TV Trump clone devours a former lover and gives birth from his forehead.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
You wouldn't have to, it would sell itself.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
My school took down the Christmas tree we had in the lobby because it made Muslim students uncomfortable. That's funny considering Muslims probably shouldn't even be a thing in a western nation.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
You keep making these claims about what "should" and "shouldn't" be in the West, but there's no basis in fact for it.
uziq
+492|3422
he's just trolling. i think he comes here for glib satisfaction when his job is particularly unsatisfying.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

DesertFox- wrote:

You keep making these claims about what "should" and "shouldn't" be in the West, but there's no basis in fact for it.
The fact is that when the Muslim population of a place becomes a certain size, they start agitating for political and group rights and accommodations.

This isn't allowed for other religous groups in Islamic nations and considering our deep cultural unrest and division, we should avoid trying to add more cultural debate and confusion.
uziq
+492|3422
who cares what religious groups are allowed in islamic nations? they have their own political ideology and legal structure.

we should become more illiberal in our western democracies because they are so in islamic theocracies? great argument.

macbeth: we should not allow muslims in our countries and our way of life.

macbeth: they are our enemies.

macbeth: we must become more like muslim countries in our treatment of muslims.

Last edited by uziq (2018-12-12 05:30:48)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Islam is an unique threat to western civilization. We can't have a bunch of people living among us with such an extreme world view. Their religion explicitly calls for confrontation with and destruction of non-muslims.
uziq
+492|3422
who has the extreme world view? the muslim family living in massachusetts? they are not the same people as the cleric in saudi arabia. is the mild-mannered southern episcopalian the same as the latter-day prophet in his waco spread?

didn't black militants call for the same thing during the civil rights era?

Last edited by uziq (2018-12-12 07:50:59)

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
On a different note, it was interesting to read the UN report on austerity in the UK a while back. It did remind me of the Brits on here were saying back in the day.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

who has the extreme world view? the muslim family living in massachusetts? they are not the same people as the cleric in saudi arabia. is the mild-mannered southern episcopalian the same as the latter-day prophet in his waco spread?

didn't black militants call for the same thing during the civil rights era?
Is it intolerant to be intolerant of the intolerant? I say no.

We have two options:

Be intolerant of muslims and other groups whose intention is not to assimilate but to dominate, maintain our otherwise tolerant culture and take the criticism.

Tolerate muslims etc who seek to impose their views over everyone elses, and end up in a less tolerant situation than before.

I'm fine with option 1. If muslims don't like it they're free to live in muslim countries or pick another cult.
Its fine to be intolerant of Nazis, white supremacists etc, I'm fine with not tolerating brown supremacists too, they aren't a special case.

"But they just want to quietly get along"
They don't, as soon as they achieve critical mass in a country they seek to dominate they start agitating and throwing their weight around.
"the muslim family living in massachusetts" will quietly support the cleric in Saudi Arabia.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2018-12-12 23:22:08)

uziq
+492|3422
sigh
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I'm sure the people of Strasbourg are congratulating themselves on being so tolerant as you sigh away.
uziq
+492|3422
the perp had a long history of street crime, petty theft, vagrancy. he was known to the police. it’s not surprising to me that criminal youths of an algerian background find a convenient ‘radical’ islamic shell for their disaffection. most of the people interviewed about it on the news here were also from the algerian community and seemed like normal, you know, moderate french people.

as often happens in cases like this, the local religious community are equally puzzled: this person never turned up to our services, they say; they’ve never been observant; never seemed particularly religious or committed to any idea before.

funny isn’t it? almost like your foamy mouthed view of the world isn’t accurate. i think the citizens of strasbourg are more reasonable than you.

Last edited by uziq (2018-12-13 02:04:53)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Many people have long histories of petty crime but don't turn to mass-murder for their salvation.

The fact is Islam has a pretty large underbelly which espouses spree killing of unbelievers, which the moderates seem to do very little about.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard