Announcement

Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/nf43FxS
Discuss.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,597|4064|eXtreme to the maX
And yet white Christian military veterans are America's most effective terrorists.
Your virus system is infected with windows. Please to be giving me your credit card details urgently
Adams_BJ
Warman is a hermaphrodite.
+2,025|4580|Little Bentcock
shh you'll upset the status quo
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,615|4695|Oxferd
Doesn't help your effectiveness when you announce your plans to shoot people on yikyak.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/6644/Xj4f2.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,597|4064|eXtreme to the maX
Here's the king of announcing stupidity in advance.

Your virus system is infected with windows. Please to be giving me your credit card details urgently
SuperJail Warden
Member
+176|1677
Black teens in Chicago Facebook Live the kidnapping and torture of a white man for voting for Trump. Jesus Christ, these people need to be put down.

https://www.facebook.com/10001015744738 … 418732303/
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+626|4249|Washington St.
Wasn't it the black community that failed to show up and vote this time?
SuperJail Warden
Member
+176|1677
Yup and they will be the first to bitch when Trump cuts their benefits. Literally the only person on my facebook who was proud of not voting was a black guy.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+282|4733|Moscow, Russia
would somebody from murica or australia please explain to me how could this be viewed as racist by any sane person?

i mean i don't normally bother with this, because for a russkie like myself this whole issue a far far away thing happening among people who had a history like nothing i ever came into contact with, but this one is just insane - and it's on every news page i open for the last few days.

what the actual fuck?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DmxhK90VsAAZU79.jpg
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+1,961|3316|London, England
Because they exaggerated her facial features to make them more stereotypically black. i.e. big lips and frizzy hair.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Member
+176|1677
The problem is probably that Serena is pictured with a head of nappy hair with ape features meanwhile the Black Japanese lady got white washed into a petite blonde.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+282|4733|Moscow, Russia

Jay wrote:

Because they exaggerated her facial features to make them more stereotypically black. i.e. big lips and frizzy hair.
so, anything that's stereotypically black is automatically racist?

SuperJail Warden wrote:

The problem is probably that Serena is pictured with a head of nappy hair with ape features meanwhile the Black Japanese lady got white washed into a petite blonde.
that other one is a japanese lady? lol, okay.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
SuperJail Warden
Member
+176|1677
The girl she played against is black and Japanese. You would assume she was just black if you didn't know she was mixed. Once you know she is half Japanese, you notice her facial features are Japanese.
uziq
Member
+140|1410

Shahter wrote:

would somebody from murica or australia please explain to me how could this be viewed as racist by any sane person?

i mean i don't normally bother with this, because for a russkie like myself this whole issue a far far away thing happening among people who had a history like nothing i ever came into contact with, but this one is just insane - and it's on every news page i open for the last few days.

what the actual fuck?

TODO: FIX GAL IMAGES
it directly partakes in a history of depictions of 'blackness' which was used in racist literature, basically. that style of depicting a black woman very consciously plays on images and tropes of black people that have been peddled by racists in the past. it's not that picking out *any* stereotypical feature makes something racist. that's an incredibly naive attitude. it's to do with context. those sorts of stereotypical depictions have appeared throughout the 19th and 20th centuries specifically in the context of race hate literature that aimed to demonise or dehumanise black people and trivialise their concerns.

what you're basically saying is, 'i just don't understand why all the butthurt about this piccanninnie thing?' or 'what's wrong with depicting a jew with a big crooked nose in a cartoon - don't many jews have big crooked noses?' the cartoon is essentially quoting racism. the cartoonist knew what he was doing when he drew it. if you go to any black history museum or exhibit about the history of racism or slavery in america, you will always see these same repeated images.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/tim_archer/loony-toons/scrub9.jpg

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/wikiality/images/9/98/AntiSemiticCartoon.gif/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/411?cb=20080921012414

Last edited by uziq (2018-09-14 07:48:18)

uziq
Member
+140|1410

SuperJail Warden wrote:

The girl she played against is black and Japanese. You would assume she was just black if you didn't know she was mixed. Once you know she is half Japanese, you notice her facial features are Japanese.
the girl looks predominantly japanese, not black. her surname is osaka ffs.

https://static.ffx.io/images/$zoom_0.191%2C$multiply_1%2C$ratio_1.776846%2C$width_1059%2C$x_0%2C$y_28/t_crop_custom/w_768/t_sharpen%2Cq_auto%2Cf_auto/f58657e11885416d1d93c3f736af2cbd37b1a76a

Last edited by uziq (2018-09-14 07:42:38)

SuperJail Warden
Member
+176|1677
Now that they found marijuana in the guy who got shot's apartment, the lady cop is going to change her story to "smelled weed". Her lawyers got this one in the bag.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+1,961|3316|London, England

Shahter wrote:

Jay wrote:

Because they exaggerated her facial features to make them more stereotypically black. i.e. big lips and frizzy hair.
so, anything that's stereotypically black is automatically racist?
Yes, because it's been used as putdowns for a very long time in this country. Same goes for Australian aboriginees.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
Member
+140|1410

Jay wrote:

Shahter wrote:

Jay wrote:

Because they exaggerated her facial features to make them more stereotypically black. i.e. big lips and frizzy hair.
so, anything that's stereotypically black is automatically racist?
Yes, because it's been used as putdowns for a very long time in this country. Same goes for Australian aboriginees.
https://ferris.edu/jimcrow/
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+282|4733|Moscow, Russia

Jay wrote:

Shahter wrote:

so, anything that's stereotypically black is automatically racist?
Yes, because it's been used as putdowns for a very long time in this country. Same goes for Australian aboriginees.

uziq wrote:

what you're basically saying is, 'i just don't understand why all the butthurt about this piccanninnie thing?' or 'what's wrong with depicting a jew with a big crooked nose in a cartoon - don't many jews have big crooked noses?' the cartoon is essentially quoting racism.
right. so, basically, by these standarts it's impossible to draw a caricature of a black person, or jewish person or <put any other group which had been stereotipically pictrured in the past here> that wouldn't be racist of anti-smitic or what not, huh? there's always a context of the kind you described, is there not? serena, for example, is black, brutish, with big lips and has frizzy hair - how do you draw a cartoon of her omitting those features which would still be recognizably about her?
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
SuperJail Warden
Member
+176|1677
You can make her look like a brute without making her look like an ape. If they gave her a guy figure and face, people wouldn't complain about racism since those are traits unique to her as a person and not a stereotype of all black people.
uziq
Member
+140|1410
i'm sorry but the cartoon was racist, it knowingly alluded to a history of racist cartoons that have been used explicitly in contexts of race-hate.

all cartoons are caricatures. nobody is denying a cartoonist a right to caricature a person. serena could easily have been pilloried for her bullying and unprofessional behaviour on the court that day. she is a target ripe for satire. but to portray her in the imagery of a mammie from the porch of an 18th century plantation represents a horrific own goal on the cartoonist's part. every single reader in america, especially african-american readers, would have recognised immediately the signifiers in that cartoon. they all allude and point to one thing.

stop being obtuse.

also nice job describing an athletically built woman as 'brutish'. kind of giving yourself away a bit there. i wonder if you'd describe djokovic as a 'brute'.

Last edited by uziq (2018-09-14 10:05:52)

SuperJail Warden
Member
+176|1677
Interestingly legitimate political cartoonist managed to avoid making racist cartoons by deciding almost in unison to make fun of Obama by making him tall and lanky and/or with big ears. The ears thing is something used against Bush too when they drew him short with big ears. Neither man had big ears though.
uziq
Member
+140|1410
precisely. very good point. cartoonists and satirists know what they are doing when they choose how to caricature a person. their craft and trade has a history.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+282|4733|Moscow, Russia
i dunno. it still seems to me that any king of carucature depicting serena in a recognizable way could be judged racist by the standarts you gave here.

p.s. djokovic brutish? no, i don't think so. amelie mauresmo kinda is though, imo, and she's not black afaik
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+282|4733|Moscow, Russia
black, big lips, frizzy hair.

racist?

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/WOB579_17HpKdm4jDD6wdoW7KClyjkTozyqoqGxeSCo1D_iHcMKCsbULOLFe_xmHCKdBdO13QyT8D1RoYLRu8Hyhz4nNX_QzMV5kL59-FpF5_QFkwZX7Co1D6TA0Wg
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
SuperJail Warden
Member
+176|1677
No, that looks fine to me. I am not even 100% certain the cartoon is anti-Obama.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2018 Jeff Minard