uziq
+492|3422

thepilot91 wrote:

Wall of text, but suprisingly low acid factor

You are however right and unfortunately I can't find (or search) for the old thread where this was discussed, but I recall myself calling it the best hope we got, and recall you saying "it will never succeed/pass 1.6/greater than TF2/along those lines" and whether you think it stinks or not it grew up to be a pretty fucking successful game/skin simulator.
i will 100% stand by my statement that the tf2 pro scene (especially seasons 1–4 or thereabouts) were much better than cs:go's scene. again, it goes back to my point about scenes being created organically from the bottom-up by active gamers (and tf2 had the tfc roots there, culturally) or summoned from the top by organisations/institutions with big money (like cs:go). also, obviously tf2's hat simulator/open market model seeded cs:go's success in a very direct way. but the team fortress 2 pro-scene, especially pre-hats and f2p, was a real genuine community, and not a bunch of fanboys buying 'pro team' merchandise and swinging banners in a giant auditorium.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

so the scene was better because it was created organically and the community was genuine, and CS GO scene isn't because it wasn't and the community isn't?

I liked american football better when it was a bunch of blue-collar lunks sponsored by their local soap company palling around in muddy fields with leather jockstraps on their heads playing in front of the local ironworkers union too. This whole multibillion dollar sports industry where players are excorciated by their megarich owners for having an opinion about anything just taints the SANCTITY and CAMARADERIE of the game.
uziq
+492|3422
yore an idiote.

i’m obviously not appealing to some spurious sense of ‘authenticity’ or fetishising the past just-because. sorry that i preferred gaming when the leagues were community-oriented, communities regularly interacted on IRC/forums, and the games themselves weren’t micro-economies to sell merch.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

no need to apologize for your own personal tastes. There's certainly a sheen that is off-putting when money gets thrown all around in ESPORTS (and the resulting pay-for-play and cheating that is inevitable when money is involved), but I think there's a difference between the Golden State Warriors starting an Overwatch team because they see it as a money-making venture and a way to appeal to tha MILLENIALS!, and the vibrant community-driven scene that a lot of CS GO teams were built on.

The fact that money was introduced shouldn't be some automatic disqualifier for how genuine a community is, because the money isn't being spread evenly.

I heard there's a lot of interaction on twitch! Haha....but that kind of leads to another point - you shouldn't be poo-pooing a community just because it outgrows the core base of players.  Surely the authenticity and motivations of players and teams change as money is added but would you rather have the game you love be some tight knight community of 200 people who all know each other and do it soley for the recognition of those 200 playesr and the LOVE OF THE GAME, or would you rather see that community of 200 people grow to a point where the players are earning a living playing the game they love and some random dude on the street knows who the best teams are?

I like seeing things I'm interested in being successful, and I'm not going to get cranky over the fact that it's now the CS GO Ryzen Benq Major Championship, with Red Bull as the Official gaming drink of Team Liquid [RAZR]

I acknowledge that a push to design games solely for the benefit of monied tournaments and viewership is a bad way for the gaming community, just like games designed with micro-transactions as the basis for the developer/publisher to make residual money are the fucking scourge of gaming.
uziq
+492|3422
bit of a fallacious argument tbh. ‘200 people’ and obscurity aren’t the alternatives to streaming-spectator culture. tf2 pre-f2p was incredibly popular. maybe not cs:go numbers but the scene was in rude health.
thepilot91
+64|6206|Åland!
But CS:GO did make it, bigtime, bigger than any other FPS in the competetive scene.
uziq
+492|3422
i have absolutely no desire to play it. i did my time on the earlier cs games and gaming felt like more of an 'alive' hobby to me then. of course that's partly my own sentimentality but i think (pc) gaming has lost some of its character from the 90s/00s now that it has gone 'mainstream'.
thepilot91
+64|6206|Åland!
DEFENITELY more mainstream and commercialized now yes, but CSGO made it contrary to your strong toxic disbelief a couple of years back, you don't have to play it, just admit you were wrong <3
uziq
+492|3422
i'd call that a pyrrhic victory. also, yes, i cannot prognosticate and predict the future. cs:go is a very different game now than then.
bennisboy
+829|6616|Poundland
I thought this place got shut down! What's going on?
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6684|Purplicious Wisconsin

bennisboy wrote:

I thought this place got shut down! What's going on?
It was saved by Donald Trump, our President and savior.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6592|Little Bentcock
Uziq still flinging dem big words
Steve-0
Karma limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+214|3930|SL,UT

peace out bros

i wish i knew how to make a snuff video. i'd make one of me, but my wife would make a claim of intellectual property.

if she knew about this site
JdeFalconr
Lex Luthor, King of Australia
+72|6512|Sammamish, WA
Not sure CS:GO has much on the Starcraft scene in Korea.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Starcraft scene is largely confined to Korea though. CS GO has teams all over the world
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

Adams_BJ wrote:

Uziq still flinging dem big words
The worst part?

FOR HIM THEY'RE SMALL WORDS
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6591|London, England
I can’t beleive this is still going.

Twats
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
We got this shit on lock
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

woo-can-duh 4 lyf
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6443|6 6 4 oh, I forget

jsnipy wrote:

woo-can-duh 4 lyf
Bawitdaba, to you to snipy.
Ultrafunkula

And hi Mek-stick!
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6592|Little Bentcock
I like how we don't go through a page an hour like we used to. Makes it much easier to catch up on the month's events.
Ultrafunkula

Addums, your registration day
Mekstizzle
WALKER
Where’s everyone else, I’m guessing dead. I was just looking at really old posts, we really were society’s lowest rung

I miss that
Mekstizzle
WALKER
Ha...I was such a knob, not as much as Uzique but close. Actually not that close at all

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard