unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

For R1, just because they're stealing plans to a superweapon doesn't mean that's all the movie had to be about. I kind of wanted to know more about what Hannibal-dad was going through at that research station. How Ghost Dog rebel got to be so paranoid and delusional all the time. What's up with the two quasi-Jedi? Why and how are they still guarding a temple on an Imperial world? Instead, they were chucked out and for most of the time we got to focus on cookie cutter guerilla girl and her block-of-wood love interest.

I don't even remember much of what TFA was about now. Just that Luke was looking at some chick like she just handed him a dead squirrel and a hobbit-haired Snape had it in for blinking consoles.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Well Ghost Dog Samurai was supposed to have a bigger part in the script but Ghost Dog did such a bad job acting the part they decided to cut it all out. I do think there could have been a lot of interesting story made about how Ghost Dog, Stereotypical Monks, and others were resisting the Empire. It was a pretty cool scene where they ambushed the imperial patrol. I didn't mind the scenes with Spunky British Girl and French Resistance Rebel. Though I think it was pretty lame how French Resistance Rebel somehow decided to spare the imperial weapon designer for some reason.

The more distance I get from TFA the more I have come to accept that it was a letdown. At least the prequels have their own flavor and feeling to them. TFA just reused a lot from the OT and didn't add too much.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

An interesting angle would be to start from the perspective of the temple guys trying to keep the peace between the populace and the paranoid Imperials while an extremist rebel cell operates nearby. Sort of like a messed up Space Afghanistan. Then it could have intersected the Spunky-France couple to suck the survivors of the Death Star test along on the plans mission, maybe at a place that actually had Bothans.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6684|Purplicious Wisconsin

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

An interesting angle would be to start from the perspective of the temple guys trying to keep the peace between the populace and the paranoid Imperials while an extremist rebel cell operates nearby. Sort of like a messed up Space Afghanistan. Then it could have intersected the Spunky-France couple to suck the survivors of the Death Star test along on the plans mission, maybe at a place that actually had Bothans.
The Bothans died for the information regarding the second death star.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I wonder how these guys sneaked onto an imperial base after all of that surely additional resources the empire's department of homeland security got to defend their data banks
https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/0/03/BothanNEGAS.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20061130130400
War Man
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

10/10, enough said.

Edit: okay, I will say I feel this film was better than the first, first impression wise. Granted, the first gave me quite the fantastic first impression and was enjoyable, but this film just takes it a step further and has a more compelling story. Even despite the cluster of stuff involved in this movie, it still somehow works.

Last edited by War Man (2017-05-06 03:07:13)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Some of the cameos and cultural references were funny, but I didn't think it had the zip of the original.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
War Man

Dilbert_X wrote:

Some of the cameos and cultural references were funny, but I didn't think it had the zip of the original.
What was the bar of your expectations for the first one compared to the second, out of curiosity? I have no problem with you preferring the first over the second, I am just curious if it was due to expectations for both films or something else.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The first one was unexpected and original, the second had no real originality - just a different story.

It did have Zoe Saldana though, so it was OK.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2017-05-06 22:41:20)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

Dilbert_X wrote:

https://img.usmagazine.com/social/zoe-saldana-zoom-661eabe1-dd45-4243-83b9-67f16a3178a2.jpg
???
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

https://imgur.com/enKbJSF.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
War Man

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

???
That's just a bad picture of her, she is quite attractive.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Wonder Woman 9.5/10
I deducted 0.5 as I didn't think the Amazon's outfits were skimpy enough. Not sure how the film-makers didn't know that the whole point of the Wonder Woman story is for the girls to run around in skimpy outfits.
Apart from that I thought it was pretty good.
War Man
Power Rangers (2017): 7/10

Was hoping for this to be a good film and was satisfied. It turned out entertaining and well-paced. I liked the characters and hope there is a sequel to continue the story just to see where this goes from here. The die hard fans of power rangers that hated this film can suck it. People who were pissed at the Krispy Kreme product placement I can understand. It was a little ridiculous but it actually made the movie hilarious and brought back the classic power rangers corniness in a way. I counted Krispy Kreme to be verbally said 7 times and rangers about 31 times, so cannot say Krispy Kreme was said more than rangers.

Spiderman: Homecomng 7.75/10. I was on the fence whether to give this a 7.5 or an 8 so....

Michael Keaton was an awesome villain and Tom Holland did a good job as 15 year old Peter Parker/Spiderman. I'm glad they skipped the origin story with Uncle Ben for this film. The film certainly has its laughs and entertainment and is worth watching. The ending was pretty funny, but the post-credits scene, oh God... lol. I laughed all the way towards the car with that one.

Last edited by War Man (2017-07-12 22:21:54)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

'Valerian' was like a revolving sushi bar of introduced and quickly abandoned characters, environments, and concepts. Unable to tell a watertight story even with its generous runtime. Mildly annoying inconsistencies and plot holes. Perpetually cold and disgruntled generic female sidekick, as a romantic interest point that is just there but never explained. Watchable for all that. Noticed a lot of Fifth Element before it dawned on me why that was.

3 bananas out of 2 pears
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Did a bunch of post from this thread disappear? Anyway I really want to see this movie.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
First Man 10/10
So much engineering nerdery.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Death Wish - The Bruce Willis version 5/10

The original film was piss poor, this remake better but still not a great film.

However it does raise the question, which has been raised a few times, if the Police aren't there to protect the average citizen - they aren't and they can't realistically be - but just mop up after the event what is the average citizen supposed to do?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5329|London, England
Defend your home with a short barrel 18 ga shotgun loaded with 00.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Black panther going to win best picture at the Oscars. I ain't even mad. The Oscars were trash before and will be even worse trash after three SJWs get done with it.
uziq
+492|3423
it hasn't been a very good year for mainstream hollywood movies. i can't remember really seeing any films that made me 'wow'.

i've been getting into this director lately. leviathan is a great movie.

Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6746|Moscow, Russia
you've got to be trolling there. leviathan? a great movie?
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
uziq
+492|3423
yes. it is very well directed, well written, well paced, and the cinematography is excellent. but you don’t like it because it doesn’t present ‘your’ russia? it’s great film making.
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6680|England. Stoke
Without having seen this.
I want to see brief review by both of you before I do watch it, "I'll wait".
[no spoilers]

Last edited by coke (2019-01-31 18:13:04)

uziq
+492|3423
it is by all consensus a solid movie. i think it’s similar to jacques audiard’s un prophete. it’s not too portentous or overblown. it’s not really even particularly about russia, which i guess is the stuff shahter can’t see past (the usual stuff about official corruption in putin’s early days of power, the intermingling and interdependence of church and state). it’s a film based on the classic western archetype of Job and a man whom god tests to the limit by taking away everything. the film is pretty obvious about this and is set in a sort of mythic-ancient landscape that isn’t really, and importantly, ‘russia’ at all.. but watch shahter call it terrible because a russian native director is ‘letting the side down’

i’d be intrigued to see his critique of the actual directing and cinematography.

i actually didn't realise it created such a furore in russia. lmao.

imagine living in a country so insecure about its image and place in the world that MINISTERS discuss average hollywood-level MOVIES in parliament.

eagerly awaiting british members of parliament debating the mean picture of england given in 'the favourite'.

Last edited by uziq (2019-02-01 01:41:14)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard