Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5346|London, England

SuperJail Warden wrote:

The jobs will get automated eventually and the country will just be left with another set of mouths to feed thanks to immigration.

Look, I am not opposed to a lot of the suggested changes to immigration regarding change migration, the lottery, e-verify, and border security. When it comes to DACA though, there is such malice and cruelty towards these people that it makes the whole discussion around immigration repulsive to me. I rather continue to let people stream across the border unopposed and eat all the problems that go along with that than go along with cutting these people's throats like so many on right want to do.
I agree, but I can also see the law and orders side on the subject. If you don't make an example people will just keep doing it. Every generation will have another round of dreamers. Yes, it's ridiculous to send people to a country they don't really belong in, but it's their parents fault for expecting sympathy.

I think we should increase legal immigration of all types. Perhaps you deport the dreamers but then move them to the front of the line to come back. Disruptive, yes, but I think both sides would accept it.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3708
Appeals to "law and order" is always bullshit. People always pick and choose what they want and will skirt around the law to get get something or do something that appeals to them because they think they are special or deserve it. It is a bullshit phrase just like appeals to "state's right" when convenient. If you want to disincentivize future illegal immigration just say that instead falling back on tropes and buzzwords.

Anyway I can see the argument regarding future illegal immigration. Like I said, I am okay with enhanced border security. I think the wall is stupid but if it gets a general amnesty then I think it is worth it.

Deporting the DACA people and putting them in a line just hurts these people for no good reason. I don't support fucking these people over in order to make a political point. That is the sort of cruelty I was talking about earlier. It won't make any citizen's life any better.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6094|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

its crazy to me that people are worried that low-skilled, uneducated immigrants who can't speak english will take their jobs.
I don't know many people who have gone through our school system and don't feel they are above picking fruit in a field or working in a slaughterhouse. I certainly wouldn't want to do those jobs. If we block immigration I don't think the jobs would be taken by American-born people unless wages rose astronomically, but then they'd just be automated.
Why shouldn't the wages rise until the balance between available labour and the price of fruit and meat balances out? Shouldn't the free market be allowed to run its course?
How would it be if 'someone' decided that Americans deserved cheaper air-conditioning systems, that HVAC engineers wages were too high, that $10/hr was a more realistic wage and the immigration blocks must be lifted until wages came down to that level?
Allowing in a flood of illegals has destroyed wages in relatively low-skilled labour markets, and entirely distorted the working of the free market, its like having an experiment in a bell-jar with a hole in it. Its been entirely deliberate and because it doesn't directly affect you, in fact there's a benefit you seem fine with it - except Ken has noticed the H1 issue and seems a little concerned - maybe its a bit close to the bone for him.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

its crazy to me that people are worried that low-skilled, uneducated immigrants who can't speak english will take their jobs.
I don't know many people who have gone through our school system and don't feel they are above picking fruit in a field or working in a slaughterhouse. I certainly wouldn't want to do those jobs. If we block immigration I don't think the jobs would be taken by American-born people unless wages rose astronomically, but then they'd just be automated.
Why shouldn't the wages rise until the balance between available labour and the price of fruit and meat balances out? Shouldn't the free market be allowed to run its course?
How would it be if 'someone' decided that Americans deserved cheaper air-conditioning systems, that HVAC engineers wages were too high, that $10/hr was a more realistic wage and the immigration blocks must be lifted until wages came down to that level?
Allowing in a flood of illegals has destroyed wages in relatively low-skilled labour markets, and entirely distorted the working of the free market, its like having an experiment in a bell-jar with a hole in it. Its been entirely deliberate and because it doesn't directly affect you, in fact there's a benefit you seem fine with it - except Ken has noticed the H1 issue and seems a little concerned - maybe its a bit close to the bone for him.
I don't have a problem with wages rising and the higher prices that come with that, as long as it's market driven and not artificially inflated by politics a la the $15/hr minimum wage stupidity.

My point was that native born Americans feel entitled to a cushy life and the vast majority don't want to do grunt work like picking crops in a field. For the unskilled, welfare pays less but doesn't require any effort. Fuck working piecework when you can sit on your ass playing video games while some migrant picks your cherries for you. Farmers need migrant workers because they honestly can't get anyone else to do the labor. Yes, they should improve working conditions to make it more attractive to native born Americans, but at the end of the day there's only so much they can do. Harvest time is fast paced, backbreaking work and it's not steady. There's an entire segment of our population that essentially live like gypsies following the crop harvests all over the country. Try getting someone that was sold the American Dream story their entire life to live that life.

We can't even fill positions in the skilled trades, let alone unskilled labor. We have a multi-million person shortage in the skilled trades, welders, mechanics, electricians are all in short supply and they make really good money. Too many people going to college, but that's a different topic.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Appeals to "law and order" is always bullshit. People always pick and choose what they want and will skirt around the law to get get something or do something that appeals to them because they think they are special or deserve it. It is a bullshit phrase just like appeals to "state's right" when convenient. If you want to disincentivize future illegal immigration just say that instead falling back on tropes and buzzwords.

Anyway I can see the argument regarding future illegal immigration. Like I said, I am okay with enhanced border security. I think the wall is stupid but if it gets a general amnesty then I think it is worth it.

Deporting the DACA people and putting them in a line just hurts these people for no good reason. I don't support fucking these people over in order to make a political point. That is the sort of cruelty I was talking about earlier. It won't make any citizen's life any better.
The wall is completely asinine.

When you do a general amnesty it becomes expected. They did one under Reagan and one under Clinton and yet here we are again.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3708
Deporting a bunch of people already living here will not make living in America less mathematically better than living in some crappy third world country for potential illegal immigrants. People will still keep trying to come here illegally no matter what we did with the current group short of gassing them. Mass deportations will just upset people who are otherwise open to changing immigration laws in a more conservative way.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6141|what

Milliom dollar question - Is Mueller going to indict Trump on obstruction of justice and collusion with Russia?
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

I don't have a problem with wages rising and the higher prices that come with that, as long as it's market driven and not artificially inflated by politics a la the $15/hr minimum wage stupidity.

My point was that native born Americans feel entitled to a cushy life and the vast majority don't want to do grunt work like picking crops in a field. For the unskilled, welfare pays less but doesn't require any effort. Fuck working piecework when you can sit on your ass playing video games while some migrant picks your cherries for you. Farmers need migrant workers because they honestly can't get anyone else to do the labor. Yes, they should improve working conditions to make it more attractive to native born Americans, but at the end of the day there's only so much they can do. Harvest time is fast paced, backbreaking work and it's not steady. There's an entire segment of our population that essentially live like gypsies following the crop harvests all over the country. Try getting someone that was sold the American Dream story their entire life to live that life.

We can't even fill positions in the skilled trades, let alone unskilled labor. We have a multi-million person shortage in the skilled trades, welders, mechanics, electricians are all in short supply and they make really good money. Too many people going to college, but that's a different topic.
I would create some variant of minimum basic income which required people to work 20-30 hrs/wk for their benefits. Their remaining time they can do what they like, do more work, run a micro-business or whatever. Giving people dole and then making it hard to do minimal discretionary work on top is asinine. They have no pathway out of the benefits trap. And give people who work full time an additional tax break on their initial income to balance it out.
Otherwise yes all the old codgers I know say its impossible to get a young person to push anything heavier than a computer mouse.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

AussieReaper wrote:

Milliom dollar question - Is Mueller going to indict Trump on obstruction of justice and collusion with Russia?
One way or another I predict Trump will be out in a year, to avoid facing impeachment or in a sulk when he's left powerless after the mid-terms.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Deporting a bunch of people already living here will not make living in America less mathematically better than living in some crappy third world country for potential illegal immigrants. People will still keep trying to come here illegally no matter what we did with the current group short of gassing them. Mass deportations will just upset people who are otherwise open to changing immigration laws in a more conservative way.
It will discourage the next group.
Travelling to America only to be sent straight back home would be mathematically worse than staying at home.
Which is a shame because I actually like hispanic girls.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3708
Really happy that John Bolton is the next National Security Adviser. Maybe we can finally bomb Iran.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Why would you want to bomb Iran? Saudis did 9/11 and Iran offered to help America catch them.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3708
John Bolton was a good pick for national security adviser. It is funny that the guy who most wants war in the current administration is a Bolton.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
He just wants a war, any war, he doesn't care who its with.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3708
I am disappointed that this president won't start a war to base Battlefield 7 off of.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6702|Purplicious Wisconsin

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I am disappointed that this president won't start a war to base Battlefield 7 off of.
That would decrease his chances of reelection, only a war we didn't start may not hurt him.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The last war the US was involved in which it didn't itself trigger was WW1
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6673|United States of America
I get your point, but how would you argue the US triggered WW2?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
http://www.independent.org/news/article.asp?id=1930
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Events_le … arl_Harbor

The US could have just stayed out of the Japan-China business, but a war with Japan suited them.
DesertFox-
Still not quite buying it; that just seems normal Imperialism 101. It sounds like Japan was wanting to aggressively expand and did so for years beforehand, but someone eventually tried to lightly urge them to knock it off. Japan wasn't the tiny nation backed into a corner and forced to attack. Japan was the spoiled kid told "no" for the first time in their life.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Well, no-one 'lightly urged' the US to knock it off, having seized numerous islands across the region, and the Philippines.

And as spoiled kids go, how much of a tantrum does the US throw if Middle-Eastern oil supplies are even mildly disrupted? I can think of a couple of wars triggered.
How much foot-stamping and wailing would there be if the US were subjected to a total oil embargo and the man-whales of the mid-West only had two years fuel for their F150s?

Embargoing oil to Japan was an obvious and known trigger, they had no choice but to go to war.
Really its comparable to strangling someone then when they kick you in the balls characterising their behaviour as the worst possible infamy.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2018-08-13 02:11:31)

DesertFox-
This isn't about the US, though. Japan was late to the party. If Japan had been able to claim "FIRST!!!!1!!!" on all those places as the European powers had, they wouldn't have run into nearly as much trouble.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
But its the US which imposed the oil embargo - triggering the war, so apparently the US made it about the US.
DesertFox-

Dilbert_X wrote:

But its the US which imposed the oil embargo - triggering the war causing Japan to opt for planning a secret attack as the first strike in expanding its wars to include the US, so apparently the US made it about the US.
FTFY
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

DesertFox- wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

But its the US which imposed the oil embargo - triggering the war causing Japan to opt for planning a secret attack as the first strike in expanding its wars to include the US, so apparently the US made it about the US.
FTFY
You do know that military attacks are usually planned in secret?
If you back someone into a corner and choke off their lifeblood there is inevitably a reaction, the US was fully aware of this when they blockaded Japan's entire oil supply, its a reasonable conclusion the US wanted a war with Japan.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard