KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

Jay wrote:

It would also probably blow your mind that there's no sales tax on unprepared food, or clothing purchases less than $100.
depends on the jurisdiction.  Some states charge tax on raw goods and clothing.  Some states have weird laws regarding having a nexus in the state.  Something as simple as having a sales agent travel through the state for more than 2 days can establish nexus in that state.  It's fucking complicated, and the reason large companies have whole divisions dedicated to sales tax compliance.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708

Jay wrote:

It would also probably blow your mind that there's no sales tax on unprepared food, or clothing purchases less than $100.
oh gee we have the exam same thing too!

Cept for clothes.

Jay wrote:

There's also no sales tax if the seller has no physical presence in the state they are selling in.
We don't have differing state taxes on income (none) and sales (collected by feds, given to state). Everyone pays the same rate regardless where they live.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6167|Sydney | ♥

State level tax sounds so annoying... I'd hate to be looking at the menu and trying to work out how much it actually cost due to state tax and tipping.

I look at a menu here, I know how much I'll be paying, and tap my card. I haven't carried cash in so long
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jay wrote:

depends on the jurisdiction.  Some states charge tax on raw goods and clothing.  Some states have weird laws regarding having a nexus in the state.  Something as simple as having a sales agent travel through the state for more than 2 days can establish nexus in that state.  It's fucking complicated, and the reason large companies have whole divisions dedicated to sales tax compliance.
More retardation, you're just digging yourself deeper.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

But sales tax can be fairly maddening to deal with when you're trying to get actual work done. If I don't have my accounting software present, I have to throw the address at the state site and it spews back the location code with whatever flavor-of-the-month the combined state/local tax rate is set to. Can never trust documents that've been sitting around longer than a quart of milk.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

But sales tax can be fairly maddening to deal with when you're trying to get actual work done. If I don't have my accounting software present, I have to throw the address at the state site and it spews back the location code with whatever flavor-of-the-month the combined state/local tax rate is set to. Can never trust documents that've been sitting around longer than a quart of milk.
or as jay would say

hurr durr stupid foriengers cant math.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

tazz. wrote:

State level tax sounds so annoying... I'd hate to be looking at the menu and trying to work out how much it actually cost due to state tax and tipping.

I look at a menu here, I know how much I'll be paying, and tap my card. I haven't carried cash in so long
It's almost like we are a confederation of quasi-independent states held together by a federal government.  I think you could even use the term "United States" to accurately describe America.

If you think state level tax is bad, come to the US so you can experience county and city taxes too!

@newbie: there are plenty of easy to use sites where you just plug in a zip code and get the tax rate.  You shouldn't need accounting software to understand how much tax to charge.

@dilbert: yeah, explaining how things work here is really digging me into a hole.  This just in: United States tax code is a clusterfuck.  In other news, the sky is blue, water is wet, and Judas grabbed the Romans while Jesus slept. Oh and we are the City on a Hill.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England
What's the page count on the federal tax code now? 74,000 pages or so?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

@newbie: there are plenty of easy to use sites where you just plug in a zip code and get the tax rate.  You shouldn't need accounting software to understand how much tax to charge.
I already said that I use the state site to get sales tax rate feedback from time to time. Two problems that you may not be seeing though:

1) Taxing by zip code is a really bad idea. There may be multiple taxing districts per zip code. Overcharge and anger the customer. Undercharge and tempt an audit.
2) Inputting address, city/zip takes time that adds up the more you have to do it. That's why I prefer automation.

My basic complaint was the overhead that can be involved in dealing with these.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

tazz. wrote:

It's almost like we are a confederation of quasi-independent states held together by a federal government.  I think you could even use the term "United States" to accurately describe America.

If you think state level tax is bad, come to the US so you can experience county and city taxes too!
You act like Australia isn't a federal system either.

We do have a benefit of having 6 states and a smaller population, but a long time ago they all agreed to have the same tax rates since a lot of states were had tax flight. We even got the states to agree that sales tax should be handed to the federal government and redistributed back. Same rates 4 everyone.

If the EU can figure out a universal sales tax/vat i'm pretty sure you guys can too.

Last edited by Cybargs (2017-05-12 19:59:12)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Cybargs wrote:

If the EU can figure out a universal sales tax/vat i'm pretty sure you guys can too.
Well realistically probably not.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712
Most of the things about America that Jay rushes to defend exist not because a new system would be difficult to understand but because there just isn't a willpower among our leadership and a big segment of our population to change things. A lot of people profit on dysfunction here.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Cybargs wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

tazz. wrote:

You act like Australia isn't a federal system either.

We do have a benefit of having 6 states and a smaller population, but a long time ago they all agreed to have the same tax rates since a lot of states were had tax flight. We even got the states to agree that sales tax should be handed to the federal government and redistributed back. Same rates 4 everyone.

Competition between the state's is healthy. Your state's seem superfluous.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712
Competition between the state's often results in seeing which state can gut environmental regulations and worker protections the fastest. It is a problem rather than a benefit.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
You mean it puts limits on overreach?
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712
I don't think standardized occupational licensing and clean water are forms of centralized tyranny.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

You mean it puts limits on overreach?
Nothing says 'freedom' better than a race to the bottom.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Pretty sure if one could create a utopia via legislation we would've figured it out at least once in the past few thousand years. One person's bright idea is invariably another's nightmare.
-Frederick Bastiat
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5476|Bolingbrook, Illinois
I can't believe this place is still alive.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6706|Purplicious Wisconsin

HaiBai wrote:

I can't believe this place is still alive.
"What is dead may never die"
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

Pretty sure if one could create a utopia via legislation we would've figured it out at least once in the past few thousand years. One person's bright idea is invariably another's nightmare.
Just another thing to add to the list of things which are unpossible.
There are few things more frightening than the thought of progress eh?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Jay wrote:

Who says we have to live in a utopia for educated, reasonable people to generally agree that, for example, industrial runoff in drinking water is undesirable? Why is this insubstantial "if utopia, then" point even a talking point for any counterargument? In a perfect world, we could cleanly power civilization with bottled traces of wild unicorn farts.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Jay wrote:

Who says we have to live in a utopia for educated, reasonable people to generally agree that, for example, industrial runoff in drinking water is undesirable? Why is this insubstantial "if utopia, then" point even a talking point for any counterargument? In a perfect world, we could cleanly power civilization with bottled traces of wild unicorn farts.
Why must you stoop to reductio ad absurdum in order to make your point? Of course no one wants untreated industrial runoff in their drinking water. This does not make all regulation necessary or valid. How is the unemployment rate in Seattle going to look after the $15 minimum wage goes into effect?
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Yours is the 'reductio ad absurdum' argument.
"In a perfect world its possible we could not live 200 years in the past, adopt the metric system, agree on anything at all, have more than two political parties in government, but its never going to happen because no country has done it in the history of the world ever and never will"
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

How is the unemployment rate in Seattle going to look after the $15 minimum wage goes into effect?
Dunno, like Australia which already has that and has a 5% unemployment rate?

I guess 5% then.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard