uziq
+492|3445
http://thelancet.com/journals/lanpsy/ar … xt?rss=yes

2nd para neatly summarises my whole point.

me and my anecdotes whilst you talk about 'brains being fried' like it's the norm. such a cuck.

Last edited by uziq (2017-03-08 04:24:21)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6099|eXtreme to the maX
You linked the lancet for an article about mushrooms, which weren't part of the discussion until you brought them in to try to recover your loss.

Pretty sure personality disorders, depression and schizophrenia are a little more serious than feeling a bit twitchy before your first cuppa.
Once unlocked does schizophrenia go away after a few days cold turkey?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3445
read the first two paragraphs of the link above and save your hysterical bluster.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

http://thelancet.com/journals/lanpsy/ar … xt?rss=yes

2nd para neatly summarises my whole point.

me and my anecdotes whilst you talk about 'brains being fried' like it's the norm. such a cuck.
You're really going to say that MDMA, Ketamine and LSD are 'safe' but coffee isn't?

Still waiting for a direct comparison between LSD and caffeine.
uziq
+492|3445
yes i am really saying they are all safe. would they be considered for medical practice if they weren't? your counter examples are people overdosing on MDMA in clubs or people with schizophrenia taking LSD. wow great reasoning.

also i never said caffeine was 'unsafe'. i said it was 'more harmful'. there's a huge difference. caffeine is literally more toxic than psilocybin, and is more work for your body to metabolise, with greater adverse physiological effects. sorry if that's inconvenient for your little 'moral hierarchy' of drugs.

you can overdose on caffeine relatively easy (much easier than lsd or mushrooms). weird how you cite the horror stories and malpractice of consumption with drugs like MDMA but defend caffeine (drink a few red bulls and go for a jog and tell me how harmless your drug is).

again, i'm linking medical research. your argument rests on the fact you like a cup of tea a day. well, many people like to smoke a spliff a day and claim it's harmless. would you listen to them or would you link to the lancet if it made claims otherwise? lol.

Last edited by uziq (2017-03-08 09:41:54)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6625|949

I was taking a preworkout drink that contains something stupid like 150mg of caffeine.  I had to stop taking it because it was fucking me up.  Seriously.  I would go workout at 5pm and couldn't go to bed until like 2am.  I don't drink coffee or energy drinks or soda so my body wasn't used to such a high dosage of caffeine. 

Fuck that shit.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6709

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I was taking a preworkout drink that contains something stupid like 150mg of caffeine.  I had to stop taking it because it was fucking me up.  Seriously.  I would go workout at 5pm and couldn't go to bed until like 2am.  I don't drink coffee or energy drinks or soda so my body wasn't used to such a high dosage of caffeine. 

Fuck that shit.
how did you not know pre-workout had caffine lol.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6625|949

Did I say I didn't know it had caffeine? I mean, it's actually listed right on the label...I wasn't just shooting in the dark when I said it had something like 150mg of caffeine.  It also has creatine and beta alanine and some other stuff i can't remember.

Would love to see you post your muscles you little twerp. Am also worried about your future as a lawyer with your lack of critical understanding. 

Let me know if you need a personal trainer and a tutor. I'm pretty cheap, but I'd probably also steal your imaginary asian gf.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6709

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Did I say I didn't know it had caffeine? I mean, it's actually listed right on the label...I wasn't just shooting in the dark when I said it had something like 150mg of caffeine.  It also has creatine and beta alanine and some other stuff i can't remember.

Would love to see you post your muscles you little twerp. Am also worried about your future as a lawyer with your lack of critical understanding. 

Let me know if you need a personal trainer and a tutor. I'm pretty cheap, but I'd probably also steal your imaginary asian gf.
you need some KY there ken?
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6625|949

huh?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5351|London, England
Yay! Interviewed yesterday and starting Monday. Guess I nailed it. Yay for a raise and a two hours shorter daily commute!
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

derp derp derp.
So basically your arguments are:
Crack cocaine is  hard drug, cocaine is not quite as severe in its effect so therefore it must be a soft drug"
"LSD and DMT are less harmful than caffeine - which causes actual measurable harm, here is an article which proves it by saying mushrooms are pretty safe"
There's some disconnect in your head.

Would the medical community be recommending dangerous drugs for therapeutic purposes? Of course, they prescribe opiates all the time, and I bet they make as much money from treating side effects as they do from treating underlying conditions.

Have a big block of cheese and go for a swim. So cheese is harmful? Of course if you're dumb enough to knock back one of these stupid Brawndo drinks before exercise you're going to suffer.

Your argument rests on the fact that you enjoy taking hard drugs and you'll bend the facts to justify your aberrant lifestyle.

Still waiting for you to post something which shows caffeine is measurably more harmful than LSD.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

Yay! Interviewed yesterday and starting Monday. Guess I nailed it. Yay for a raise and a two hours shorter daily commute!
Congrats - clearly they'll take anyone.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6685

Dilbert_X wrote:

So cheese is harmful?
Actually, now that you mention it...
uziq
+492|3445

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

derp derp derp.
So basically your arguments are:
Crack cocaine is  hard drug, cocaine is not quite as severe in its effect so therefore it must be a soft drug"
"LSD and DMT are less harmful than caffeine - which causes actual measurable harm, here is an article which proves it by saying mushrooms are pretty safe"
There's some disconnect in your head.

Would the medical community be recommending dangerous drugs for therapeutic purposes? Of course, they prescribe opiates all the time, and I bet they make as much money from treating side effects as they do from treating underlying conditions.

Have a big block of cheese and go for a swim. So cheese is harmful? Of course if you're dumb enough to knock back one of these stupid Brawndo drinks before exercise you're going to suffer.

Your argument rests on the fact that you enjoy taking hard drugs and you'll bend the facts to justify your aberrant lifestyle.

Still waiting for you to post something which shows caffeine is measurably more harmful than LSD.
my point to finray was very simple.

drugs that give intense highs don't necessarily equal more harm. that isn't a connection. caffeine is more physiologically harmful than LSD. LSD and mushrooms are the least toxic drugs out there, in terms of chemical metabolism and physical effects, dependencies, adverse reactions, addiction potential, etc. as the lancet said in one sentence, they are "physiologically safe". that's why they are being considered for medical purposes. (incidentally your definition of harm doesn't seem that interested in medical aspects of harm like addiction; yours boils down to 'can cause mental states that will make me uncomfortable and are vaguely threatening'). that was my whole point: drugs that cause extreme alterations in consciousness don't necessarily tally with extreme costs.

also none of those drugs cause anxiety or depression. you just heap side effects on them out of hysteria. they are being researched to cure or ameliorate serious clinical depression ffs. there is nothing in their neurochemical mechanism to cause depression. at least with cocaine and party drugs you can argue they fuck with your seratonin levels. you are talking utter nonsense.

you say i want to justify my hard drugs lifestyle but all i've said is that crack is patently worse than regular cocaine. i said the majority of people can take regular cocaine and it's not part of a 'hard drugs' lifestyle, which you were using as a smear. i know you live in this manichean tabloid world where your daily caffeine kick strictly ISNT addiction and MUST be harmless whereas all illegal drugs are CRAVEN and RUIN LIVES but i'm afraid it just isn't black and white like that.

i've never had an addiction except to caffeine btw. i would struggle to give it up. i imagine people who smoke feel the same way. i'm not trying to justify any 'aberrant' lifestyles as i don't lead one. taking a few lines every 2-3 months at a party does not make me some drug zombie. i don't think there's any question that cocaine is harmful for you, but then again we all do and consume things we know are bad for us – alcohol chief among them.

Last edited by uziq (2017-03-09 01:35:32)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
All I've asked you to do is show me a study which shows that caffeine is more harmful than LSD, and how cocaine is not a hard drug when by every definition - except yours - it is.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5171|Sydney

Dilbert_X wrote:

All I've asked you to do is show me a study which shows that caffeine is more harmful than LSD, and how cocaine is not a hard drug when by every definition - except yours - it is.
Do you know how to google?

https://thisjustgetsmetonormal.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/drug_safety_and_dependence.png

If you care to read once again, he said
i said the majority of people can take regular cocaine and it's not part of a 'hard drugs' lifestyle
Lifestyle.

Sometimes (ok, most of the time) I think you're just stupid on purpose.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Once again, we aren't discussing dependence or LD50, we talking about actual measurable harm.

Yes its very hard to OD on marijuana, in terms of actual harm its pretty high.

Here is the chart derpzique posted

http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/file … l-harm.png
It seems both LSD and Cannabis produce measurable harm, its a shame caffeine isn't on there.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2017-03-09 04:51:11)

Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5171|Sydney
He was talking about chemical harm, ie. toxicity. You just decided to talk about something else.

Surely it's not that hard for someone your age to keep up with a normal discussion involving pretty common English?
uziq
+492|3445
how the fuck do you measure the 'harm' of a drug if you are cancelling out its chemical toxicity, its dependence ratio, and its lethal dose? haha. convenient how you don't want to pay attention to those.

my w h o l e point to finray was that drugs associated with extreme experiences and powerful and profound trips can be basically harmless to you as far as medicine and biochemistry are concerned. LSD and mushrooms are well known as having the least 'footprint' or 'comedown' of any psychoactive substance. that's all i said. you talking anecdotally about schizophrenia is really just pointless to argue with.

Last edited by uziq (2017-03-09 06:46:15)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
No, we're talking about actual harm on a day-to-day basis for an average user.

Lethal toxicity ratio? How many people are actually killed by coffee or LSD? Its pretty well none. Water has a low lethal toxicity ratio. Drink 10 litres of water and you'll be dead, but no-one would say water causes actual measurable harm for the average user.

Dependence ratio? Dependence does not equal harm. I'm dependent on Facebook, it doesn't cause me actual measurable harm.

Uzique brought up 'actual measurable harm' but has produced nothing whatever to support his argument which makes any sense.
As a lit grad he confuses risk and harm, and conflates dependence with harm.
I'd say that he can't construct a coherent argument is because coke has caused measurable harm to his little brain.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2017-03-09 12:41:27)

uziq
+492|3445
'day-to-day harm for an average user of LSD or mushrooms'? do you know what the fuck you are talking about?

LSD and psilocybin metabolises very quickly and leaves the body. neither carry physical risks from toxicity or overdose. neither are toxic to the body. neither leave one with a physical hangover, a comedown, let alone an addiction or dependency. i.e. the effects of both are entirely transient, a 'trip', which may be unpleasant and emotional and challenging, but is very much a 'trip': you come back to where you started with no harm done. this was my only point to finray: everyday drugs like caffeine (and alcohol and tobacco, yes) incur a much bigger 'cost', i.e. harm, whereas these drugs are totally non-toxic. you won't get a headache withdrawing from them and you won't get a hangover.

my point was that caffeine technically does do more harm and involve more 'work' for your body to metabolise and process. caffeine is more toxic. the physical side-effects of consuming caffeine and the complications if you consume >300mg a day are multiple, involving cardiovascular health, bone and muscle health, and even fertility. the adverse physical effects – the HARM of caffeine is precisely why it comes with health warnings for children and women pregnant with a child. it has a PHYSIOLOGICAL EFFECT. what you can't seem to understand is that LSD and mushrooms have NO physiological effect; a fit and healthy person, with no pre-existing mental health issues, can take a normal dose of them and suffer NO harm. this is why acid and mushrooms are being researched and recommended – in the lancet, by john hopkins university, in uk policy debates – as CURES and MEDICINE for depression. you really can't seem to get your head around that. caffeine is a STIMULANT: all stimulants have costs. they incur a debt, they put you in a hole, they mess with your serotonin and dopamine levels; your brain gets 'fried', to use your language. acid and mushrooms have almost ZERO metabolic footprint.

so to recapitulate. the known and well-documented risks and adverse side-effects of high caffeine use (i'll say > 300mg or 4-5+ cups a day):

CARDIOVASCULAR

(-) Caffeine is a vasoconstrictor and stimulant.

(-) Caffeine often increases blood pressure by contracting the heart and blood vessels in non-habitual users. Effects usually subside after 3 – 4 h.

(-) Caffeine changes the electro-physiological activity of the heart, increasing conductivity, even in limited doses.

(-) Heavy caffeine consumption raises (by about 2 mmol/L)the plasma levels of homocystine, a risk factor for heart disease.

(-) Caffeine raises plasma epinephrine and norepinephrine levels in non-habitual users.

(-) Coffee intake may raise serum cholesterol levels. Intakes of 5+ cups of unfiltered have been shown to raise cholesterol levels by 0.5 – 1.0 mmol/L (20 – 40 mg/dL).

GASTROINTESTINAL

(-) Caffeine stimulates gastric secretion. Some individuals are sensitive to caffeine and suffer ill effects such as acid indigestion, heartburn, abdominal pain, gas or constipation to varying degrees.

(-) Coffee can cause emesis (vomiting)

(-) Caffeine inhibits vassopressin, it acts as a powerful diuretic (it increases urination.)

(-) Liver metabolism is effected by methylxanthines such as caffeine. It increases the levels of cyclic AMP and decreases the level of branched chain and aromatic amino acids in plasma.

MUSCULAR/SKELETAL

(-) Caffeine can mobilize calcium from cells and may lead to bone mass loss.

(-) Caffeine consumption is a risk factor for osteoporosis.

(-) Caffeine affects skeletal muscle contractility.

(-) Tremor is a common side effect of caffeine consumption.

REPRODUCTIVE

(-) Caffeine, particularly in doses of 300mg (3 cups of coffee) or more per day, can result in both male and female infertility.

(-) In animal tests, high caffeine consumption was associated in poor pregnancy outcome: spontaneous abortion, congenital malformations, fetal growth retardation, and residual effects in the newborn.

RESPIRATORY

(-) Caffeine stimulates respiration. This effect is mediated by the neurotransmitters dopamine and seratonin.
caffeine is addictive. people are putting themselves through this physical process every single day. a person will take acid or mushrooms once in their life, perhaps, and attain a new spiritual perspective. 'day to day harm'? nobody takes psychedelics on a day-to-day basis. they are non-addictive and have the LOWEST abuse potential of ANY drug. nobody is doing mushrooms one a week or taking acid at every party they go to; they are not party drugs.

the ONLY long-term harmful effects of hallucinogens are persistent psychoses such as schizophrenia. these present in a fractional number of people with pre-existing mental health issues or genetic predisposition, the same slice of unfortunate people who will suffer persistent psychoses from weed use. weed has now been medically approved in most of the united states so evidently the medical profession considers these percentage to be infinitesimally low. you talk about these nightmare psychotic scenarios as if they are common for acid users. it is disingenuous in the extreme.

Last edited by uziq (2017-03-09 13:16:38)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

how the fuck do you measure the 'harm' of a drug if you are cancelling out its chemical toxicity, its dependence ratio, and its lethal dose? haha. convenient how you don't want to pay attention to those.

my w h o l e point to finray was that drugs associated with extreme experiences and powerful and profound trips can be basically harmless to you as far as medicine and biochemistry are concerned. LSD and mushrooms are well known as having the least 'footprint' or 'comedown' of any psychoactive substance. that's all i said. you talking anecdotally about schizophrenia is really just pointless to argue with.
LSD is 'harmless', caffeine causes 'actual measurable harm'

OK dude, party on.
uziq
+492|3445
The pharmacology of LSD is indeed quite complex, which may, in part, explain why its mechanisms of action remain unclear. LSD is physiologically well tolerated and there is no evidence for long-lasting effects on brain and other parts of the human organism ... hallucinogen re- search did indeed lead to the discovery of serotonin, brain second-messenger systems, and a variety of other re- search techniques such as prepulse inhibition and the use of animals for detection of activation of specific subrecep- tors. The research of LSD faded after these advancements and also because the clinical promises failed to be realized while illicit use of hallucinogens pressured governments into taking police action against such use. Government funding of research dried up, as well, and a generation of scientists moved on to other topics. Today, LSD and other hallucinogens are once again being evaluated for spe- cific purposes, such as for treatment of cluster headache and as tools in therapy for working with those suffering from anxiety provoking end-of-life issues and for post- traumatic stress disorder. As these new studies move for- ward, it is hoped that this present paper will be a roadmap for also securing the data missing from our knowledge of the pharmacology of LSD.
http://www.maps.org/research-archive/w3 … 3067_1.pdf

The massive popularity of caffeine has created a need to discover the possible inflictions on the human body. By delving into the biochemical characteristics of caffeine, findings on its structure and chemical properties have led to findings on its function, absorption in the body and metabolism. The neurophysiological benefits of caffeine are brief and ironically could lead to health disadvantages. Therefore in order to obtain the benefits consumption should be limited to moderate doses. The neurophysiological health disadvantages of caffeine include anxiety and panic attacks and hallucinations brought about by above moderate doses of caffeine. In addition to this caffeine may impair learning and memory. However, most alarming is the similarity of caffeine to other drugs such as morphine, heroin, ethanol, and most importantly to cocaine. Caffeine shows the most similarity to cocaine and reinforces cocaine-seeking behavior after elimination of the drug. This finding strengthens the argument that the potential of caffeine dependence is high and awareness of this should be created.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3198027/

the fact there are even discussions dovetailing with terms such as 'dependence', 'withdrawal', 'abuse' etc. in discussions of caffeine should make it obvious enough that stimulants are physiologically and psychologically harmful in a way that psychedelics are not. can you get the image of people having bad trips out of your mind for one second and actually look at the matter plainly? to quote john hopkins, "psilocybin is not regarded as addictive or as toxic to the brain, liver, or other organs." you LITERALLY cannot say that about caffeine without contradicting all of the medical evidence.

Last edited by uziq (2017-03-09 13:13:54)

uziq
+492|3445
Many reports exist about psychiatric complications following LSD ingestion outside the research setting. The most common unpleasant reaction is an episode of anxiety or panic (with severe, terrifying thoughts and feelings, fear of losing control, fear of insanity or death, and despair)—the “bad trip” [15]. Other complicated reactions may include temporary paranoid ideation and, as after-effects in the days following a LSD experience, temporary depressive mood swings and/or increase of psychic instability [17,61].
Crucially, there is a lack of evidence that other complications will routinely occur or persist in healthy persons taking LSD in a familiar surrounding. Cohen [8], Malleson [9], and Gasser [11] observed approximately 10,000 patients safely treated with LSD as a psycholytic agent. Indeed, past clinical studies with LSD were completed reporting very few if any complications (cf. Table 1).
An extensive number of individuals participated in LSD research, with Passie [2] estimating some 10,000 patients participating in research of the 1950s and 1960s. The incidence of psychotic reactions, suicide attempts, and suicides during treatment with LSD, as noted in Table 1, appears comparable to the rate of complications during conventional psychotherapy.
derp derp. it's almost like what i said three pages ago: LSD can give you an unpleasant, transient experience, but has no lasting harm.

i've said enough anyway, if a shitload of lancet articles, john hopkins medical research and current scientific literature on the potential health benefits of LSD/mushrooms won't convince you, nothing will. enjoy needing to consume caffeine everyday, you irritable, infertile drug addict.

Last edited by uziq (2017-03-09 13:25:19)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard