SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

not only is their voice heard, it's disproportionately louder than other voices.  Because it's not enough that Wyoming voters are just as important as California voters - they are actually 3.6x as important.
You don't understand. They live in the real part of America. Not the northeast where the colonies are. The real part that was settled 80 years later.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5354|London, England

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

not only is their voice heard, it's disproportionately louder than other voices.  Because it's not enough that Wyoming voters are just as important as California voters - they are actually 3.6x as important.
It impacts me too. You did pick the most extreme example though
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6628|949

yep, for a reason.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I have a bigger problem with almost every state being winner takes all. No matter who I vote for in this state the democrat will receive my allotted electoral vote.

I honestly don't mind a place like Wyoming or North Dakota having a stronger vote, I get why it was set up that way. I just want proportional distribution.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6102|eXtreme to the maX
Sounds to me like you want communism, and if you want change then you hate the constitution

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2017-02-25 03:44:48)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6677|Disaster Free Zone

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

The Senate is more extreme, and precisely why you don't need or should want the electoral college.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6628|949

DrunkFace wrote:

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

The Senate is more extreme, and precisely why you don't need or should want the electoral college.
The Senate actually makes sense though - 2 voting members for each state, because each state is an equal 1 of 50 in the Union.  We have the House of Representatives that is elected proportionally.  I understand the reasons why we have a bicameral legislature and agree with the general architecture of the lower House being proportional the Senate being equal.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6628|949

The Hatred Runs Deep in Macbeth's Hometown

Officials cited zoning issues as the reason for rejecting an application to construct a mosque in Bayonne, NJ, Monday night, but it was religion -- and the allegation that Islam promotes violence -- that was the undercurrent of a heated six-hour zoning board meeting that culminated 18 months of debate.

When Muslim men gathered in a corner of the room at Bayonne High School to pray before the meeting began, opponents of the mosque began the Christian Lord's Prayer in response. When a supporter of the mosque said discriminating against Muslims is akin to saying, "Catholics are rapists," he was shouted down.

And when an opponent, Ledia Elraheb, took the podium to loudly read what she described as violent passages from the Koran, the Bayonne zoning board chairman allowed her to continue until she yelled, "How many children have died under this so-called religion?"

Another resident, John White, called for an ideological test, saying the Muslims should be asked about their beliefs before getting a house of worship. "What do they believe?" he asked.
Fucking terrible.  Asked about beliefs, chanting the Lord's Prayer while Muslims were praying...we are going backward as a country.

Residents raised questions about security and who will monitor the Muslims' comings and goings. Opposition fliers circulating in town have referenced Sept. 11 with the word, "remember." And the presidential inauguration of Donald Trump was not far from anyone’s mind -- someone wore a "Make America Great Again" hat, and there was a brief "Trump! Trump!" chant before the meeting began. The anti-mosque Facebook page opposed to this project also posted a video of Trump calling for the closure of some mosques.
Macbeth, what's your opinion on this?
uziq
+492|3448
the country has taken a huge leap back in tolerance, bigotry and hysterical irrationality. your media are to blame for profiting from a climate of action-thriller hollywood sensationalism (their alternative mode when they're not being pious and enlightened liberals).
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716
I supported it being built and assumed it was ultimately going to be. I am not surprised it was stopped considering what my hometown is like.

The complaints about parking were legitimate but all of the rest about putting it in a residential neighborhood was straight up racism. The town has 20ish churches sandwiched between homes or resting on residential corners. The mosque was going to be put on a place where there is a an empty warehouse anyway.

I wouldn't be surpirsed if they build it someplace else in the city in a few years. Bayonne is being gentrified being hard right now. The NIMBY crowd is losing everywhere else in Bayonne.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716

uziq wrote:

the country has taken a huge leap back in tolerance, bigotry and hysterical irrationality.
I still didn't see this ever happening. Aside from this mosque thing, my hometown is very well integrated. I see a lot more interracial couples all over the place especially among young people. If you had asked me a year ago what I thought about racism in the U.S., I would have said the country is better than it has ever been and still improving more.

I had no idea there were so many people with quietly seething rage all around us though.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
All the muzzies should move back to Brooklyn or Newark amirite? Maybe East Orange or Elizabeth
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716
Idk about East orange or Elizabeth. I know Jersey City has a big Arab population though
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
They're getting priced out of Jersey City by the bankers
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716

Jay wrote:

They're getting priced out of Jersey City by the bankers
Everyone is. They keep building out of downtown JC and slowly turn it into west Manhattan.

Funny when people complain about Goldman Sachs and bring up Wall Street. Their HQ is in Jersey City.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
And the rest are up by Grand Central Station. The only thing actually left on Wall Street is the trading floor of NYSE.
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6712
Good.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6712
Good.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716
Great job, Mr. President. Hope he follows it up with more.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6768|PNW

It's just that I seem to remember Trump being critical for a long time about getting involved in Syria. Also that his supporters during his campaign loved to float the notion that Hillary would anger Russia by getting involved and start WW3.

Also that it's damned convenient this distraction pops up while Trump is unpopular and the Republicans are trying to slip their sketchy agenda under the table. Even some conservatives are calling false flag.

e: Twitter sues US government after order over anti-Trump account

May be easier to mute stuff like companies fighting back against strong-arm tactics to the loud tune of cruise missile rain.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716
Obama and Bush both ran on withdrawing from international affairs but went onto invade and drone all over the place. It seems like every president decides to go down the path of intervention and entanglement since once you are in the driver's seat it seems like the best course to take.

Trump supporters are dumb fucks. What else is new?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
There's no point getting worked up about something Trump said in the past - it has no bearing on the present or future.

Its good that he blew up an airforce base in Syria, shame it was an illegal act of unilateral aggression not sanctioned by congress or the UN.
Was it:
a) Because he was upset about children being killed? Because being nerve-gassed to death is completely different from burning them to cinders with incindiaries, blowing them to bits with high explosive and shrapnel or the old favourite - burying them in rubble and giving them the freedom to suffocate
b) Because he wants to head off the idea he has a close relationship with Russia - if he bombed their ally he can't be best pals or owe them his entire fortune right?
c) Because if Syria has Sarin then chances are Hezbollah do too. Now is a good time to let Hezbollah know if they use it the US military will obliterate them from orbit before Israel does.
d) It seemed like a good idea at the time.

I think we can expect a lot more of this.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716
This is the first time I have been proud to call Trump my president.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
“Policies which are steeped in political correctness have been imposed in the name of a self-proclaimed, so-called intellectual elite who have nothing to contribute to our country neither economically nor culturally despite their best intentions,” he said.
http://www.breitbart.com/london/2017/04 … ration-eu/
This is not the first time I've agreed with an Austrian.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard