SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
House Republicans unveiled on Monday their long-awaited plan to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, scrapping the mandate for most Americans to have health insurance in favor of a new system of tax credits to induce people to buy insurance on the open market.
The House Republican bill would roll back the expansion of Medicaid that has provided coverage to more than 10 million people in 31 states, reducing federal payments for many new beneficiaries. It also would effectively scrap the unpopular requirement that people have insurance and eliminate tax penalties for those who go without. The requirement for larger employers to offer coverage to their full-time employees would also be eliminated.
People who let their insurance coverage lapse, however, would face a significant penalty. Insurers could increase their premiums by 30 percent, and in that sense, Republicans would replace a penalty for not having insurance with a new penalty for allowing insurance to lapse.

House Republican leaders said they would keep three popular provisions in the Affordable Care Act: the prohibition on denying coverage to people with pre-existing conditions, the ban on lifetime coverage caps and the rule allowing young people to remain on their parents’ health plans until age 26.

Republicans hope to undo other major parts of President Barack Obama’s signature domestic achievement, including income-based tax credits that help millions of Americans buy insurance, taxes on people with high incomes and the penalty for people who do not have health coverage.

Medicaid recipients’ open-ended entitlement to health care would be replaced by a per-person allotment to the states. And people with pre-existing medical conditions would face new uncertainties in a more deregulated insurance market.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/06/us/p … ealth.html

7 years to come up with a plan an the best they have is one that basically takes coverage away from millions. Combined with the $600 billion tax cut on high income earners they have planned, poor coal miners from PA to west Virginia are about to see some serious improvement in their life.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6735|Noizyland

https://i.imgur.com/5WDeX5N.jpg
"Well basically, I just copied the ObamaCare we have now. Then, I added some fins to lower wind resistance. And this racing stripe here I feel is pretty sharp."

So it's basically ObamaCare except it accomplishes less, benefits the rich more, and leaves more people without coverage. Brilliant, that's pretty much exactly what I expected from Trump and the GOP.

It's hard not to notice that Trump's fingerprints are far away from this, I would put money on him having absolutely nothing to do with it. I expect he found it all too difficult and just told Ryan to get something cobbled together that might score a pass mark. The result is a shit compromise that angers people who were opposed to ObamaCare because it's too similar to it and pisses off people who support ObamaCare by hobbling it. No-one wins. As per usual in the US health system.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6066|eXtreme to the maX
Poorly thought-out shit sandwiches are going to be the hallmark of this presidency.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6642|Disaster Free Zone

Ty wrote:

"Well basically, I just copied the ObamaCare we have now. Then, I added some fins to lower wind resistance. And this racing stripe here I feel is pretty sharp."

So it's basically ObamaCare except it accomplishes less, benefits the rich more, and leaves more people without coverage. Brilliant, that's pretty much exactly what I expected from Trump and the GOP.

It's hard not to notice that Trump's fingerprints are far away from this, I would put money on him having absolutely nothing to do with it. I expect he found it all too difficult and just told Ryan to get something cobbled together that might score a pass mark. The result is a shit compromise that angers people who were opposed to ObamaCare because it's too similar to it and pisses off people who support ObamaCare by hobbling it. No-one wins. As per usual in the US health system.
What do you mean no one wins? If you're earning 4million dollars a year you get a 200k tax cut. Winning!!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The important thing here is that poor people are going to suffer and die.
That's two wins right there.

If you add in that their kids are going to have bad outcomes through absolutely no fault of their own that's another win.

Extrapolating soon America will have one morbidly obese and very rich white man waited on by 50 billion dirt poor Mexicans.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
As a millennial it is really upsetting to hear about all of these disease epidemics coming back. Our generation is just doomed to have to deal with every bullshit crisis from history and new stuff too.

Climate change, epidemics/super bugs, economic inequality, Islamic terrorism, etc.

What's next?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
You can thank the boomer generation for fucking up many things, including disease control, for their own short-term benefit.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
Helping out a family member with some paperwork. They get insurance through the ACA marketplace and get a subsidy to pay their premiums. But the subsidy is instead called a "Premium Tax Credit" and gets deducted out somehow (its not entirely clear) from your income tax I think? I have to help this person because the IRS now needs some forms to deduct the credit or whatever.

What a pain in the ass. I really resent that I have to spend mental energy on this because we can't just have a national healthcare service to keep this all simple.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6593|949

PTC doesn't get deducted out, it just doesn't count as taxable income and can be a supplement to your tax return or help offset your tax burden. The credit shouldn't be deducted (because it's a credit, not a debit), it should go against the income or be provided in a lump sum when you file for the person. The IRS might need to know if the person is just now applying for the credit (lump sum) or whether they applied and received advanced payments (from the gov directly to the person's insurance company). If it's the former, it should be very straightforward. If it's the latter, you'll have to find out how much was paid out directly to the insurance company vs. the total amount of the credit.

Example: person pays $200/month for insurance. Due to low income, they qualify for a $1500 ACA PTC.

Scenario 1: The person claims this when filing taxes for the previous year, resulting in the government cutting them a check for $1200 (or reducing their tax burden by $1200)

Scenario 2: The person took advantage of the advanced payment and the Gov paid $100/month directly to the insurer.  In this case, the government would ask for proof of $100/month, and cut a check (or offset the tax burden) by $300 (the difference between 12 months of advance payments and the overall tax credit amount).
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

PTC doesn't get deducted out, it just doesn't count as taxable income and can be a supplement to your tax return or help offset your tax burden. The credit shouldn't be deducted (because it's a credit, not a debit), it should go against the income or be provided in a lump sum when you file for the person. The IRS might need to know if the person is just now applying for the credit (lump sum) or whether they applied and received advanced payments (from the gov directly to the person's insurance company). If it's the former, it should be very straightforward. If it's the latter, you'll have to find out how much was paid out directly to the insurance company vs. the total amount of the credit.

Example: person pays $200/month for insurance. Due to low income, they qualify for a $1500 ACA PTC.

Scenario 1: The person claims this when filing taxes for the previous year, resulting in the government cutting them a check for $1500 (or reducing their tax burden by $1500)

Scenario 2: The person took advantage of the advanced payment and the Gov paid $100/month directly to the insurer.  In this case, the government would ask for proof of $100/month, and cut a check (or offset the tax burden) by $300 (the difference between 12 months of advance payments and the overall tax credit amount).
Thank you for your response and clarification.

I watched a YouTube video and it guided us through how to fill this form out which is worrying. The IRS really should have made videos to guide people.

I hope you didn't Google this and already are familiar with it since time is valuable. If you already knew this...how? If you don't mind me asking of course.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6593|949

i've become something of an income tax expert in the last 5 years, due both to my own failures (massively underpaying for a few years, resulting in a significant tax bill) and my now convoluted finances (401K, IRA, administered trust).

I've spent a lot of time on taxes, which means i'm now the go to tax guy in my family.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

SuperJail Warden wrote:

The IRS really should have made videos to guide people.
The world is becoming retarded.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680

Dilbert_X wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I like the concept of a skills.gov site where they teach basic skills to people like how to make scrambled eggs, file your taxes, etc.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6593|949

pretty sure there are copious videos on the internet about how to make scrambled eggs. Tax law for an average American shouldn't be so archaic that it requires a skills-based site to comply.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I like the concept of a skills.gov site where they teach basic skills to people like how to make scrambled eggs, file your taxes, etc.
Why does it have to be in videos? Can people not focus unless there are moving images?
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6645|United States of America
I would not watch a video. Gifs are as far as I'll go. I like my how-to's a very particular way.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6732|PNW

I think the fact that youtubers feel obligated to stretch their youtube how-tos out into unnecessarily 10+ minute borefests might be a contributor to that. Sometimes a hero will post a timestamp of the actual content in the comments.

"Don't forget to like, comment and subscribe. And if you DIDN'T like this video, go ahead and mash that dislike button and let me know about it in the comments section. Also, you can click that bell so you can stay updated on my channel's newest content. Shout out to my twitch followers and patreons out there, and I'll leave a link to THOSE pages in the description box."

Yawn.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3680
My family member is actually upset that she couldn't stay on NJ Medicaid. It is the closest thing to free healthcare in America. No premiums, no deductables, no co-pays, free prescriptions, and even free dental. That is awesome.
uziq
+492|3413
can we just reiterate the basic fact that the richest country in the history of the world spends about 109x the average national budget on ‘defense’ and yet can’t promise its most desperate and needy the service of basic healthcare. that will never seem anything other than shocking to me. one tomahawk missile idly fired into the levant could take care of a lot of fatarses in indiana.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6645|United States of America
I feel personally attacked.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Why look after your own citizens when you can pay for Israelis to study the Torah for life?

https://blogs.reuters.com/faithworld/files/2014/03/yeshiva.jpg
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6670|England. Stoke
Hey look Dilbert's managed to mention "da jooz" again for no apparent reason.
uziq
+492|3413
he’d make a loyal labour voter.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Its funny that Uzique questions the occasional missile strike but not $6bn of 'aid' every single year.
I'm sure the US could use that money to solve the opioid crisis in about six months if they could be bothered.
uziq
+492|3413
my comment was about the huge military expenditure of the states (involving highly costly wars). the aid fund for israel is small peanuts in comparison. you’re the one distorting the issues, here, not me having a pro-zionist blindspot.

i wonder what proportion of your posts here in d&st over the years have involved, no matter how tangential the non sequitur, references to israel? a third? half?

Last edited by uziq (2019-06-03 04:28:20)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard