Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX

uziq wrote:

you've never been in an environment with people who have taken cocaine? i think you are either naive or sheltered.
Sure I have, I've been offered cocaine a few times, I just dispute the idea that everyone queuing for the lavatory is lining up to do coke, could it be they need to use the lavatory, you know like 100% of people do?
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Why wouldn't some of them be doing both.
Pocshy2.0
+23|3340

Jay wrote:

3 more interviews this week, two I would consider dream positions in construction management for big firms. Fingers crossed!
Nice! Good luck. With the number of interviews coming down the pipeline it's only a matter of time until you snag one.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

Pocshy2.0 wrote:

Jay wrote:

3 more interviews this week, two I would consider dream positions in construction management for big firms. Fingers crossed!
Nice! Good luck. With the number of interviews coming down the pipeline it's only a matter of time until you snag one.
I was scolded at my last job for being too talkative for my bosses taste. Bitch, me being talkative and friendly is why I have connections. Total misallocation of resources. They should've had me out trying to bring in work instead of depending on their 3-4 clients. I don't see them lasting much longer.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I've worked a few places where managers take some perverse pleasure in putting people in the wrong role, putting suitable people down and pouring resources into bringing the wrong people up. Its not just my bitterness talking either, although it has affected me.

We had a visit from one of the techies at one of our defence customers. He independently volunteered that he agreed with me that developing a major weapons defence system which depended absolutely on the reliability of the cheapest shitty chinese components (the first batch literally fell apart when we opened the box) was probably not a smart thing but management had decided and that was that.

I think my company is melting down. The CEO has hired management consultants to tell him what to do, my manager is looking super-stressed, he can't even address himself to getting the AC to work. Management seems to be hands off now.

Also, we have a crèche on site. Now people think its OK to walk around during work hours showing off the cuteness of their damn kid and spreading nappy-shit smell throughout the office. The HR manager goes to the crèche to play with other people's kids whenever she feels like it, as does the production supervisor and various other staff. Meantime the whole place is out of control.

Thirdly, if we're hiring telesales girls could we hire some that aren't morbidly obese? I guess the first step would be to replace the telesales supervisor with someone who isn't herself several orders of magnitude beyond morbid obesity, she's like an elephant. I'd say she has a chip on her shoulder but then she has no defined shoulders so probably not. This dumb fat bitch fired the most personable of them all and replaced her with an even fatter one. I feel sorry for these girls, it would be a whole lot easier to bear if they could stop smiling at me.

I think I might be in luck though, someone got made redundant so I could probably make a pitch for his office. I recently moved a bit further away from the shop floor and closer to the finance girls so maybe its a bit early to go for another move. Then again, who dares wins.

I have a few jobs to apply for, which I don't especially want but they could be useful leverage on pay and working environment.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2017-02-25 17:29:08)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
My first boss retired last year. He was a super nice and knowledgeable guy and he immediately threw me into a project management role, sink or swim, and I did really well. Unfortunately,  he retired last January and I got moved to a new group.

This guy is a brilliant engineer but he trusts no one. If he could produce all the work himself he would stay in the office 24/7 and do it. Problem is he's the worst manager I've ever worked for. He didn't even speak to me for the first month I was in his group. If you were to ask him a question to tap his knowledge he would mock you for not knowing already. Didn't let me know about standards, just moved me down to an entry level position and gave me hell when my first project for him wasn't perfectly up to his standards. December rolled around and he got no bonus so out comes the axe at the first opportunity.

I made a lot of friends at the company and enjoyed the work, but now that I've had a chance to step back, I put up with a lot I shouldn't have had to. Fuck them.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5148|Sydney
I work for a good company. There's quite a bit of pressure on the top performers when revenue is down for the day/week, but we all get treated well and some people are on some seriously good money for what is essentially experience and certification.
Pocshy2.0
+23|3340

Jay wrote:

This guy is a brilliant engineer but he trusts no one. If he could produce all the work himself he would stay in the office 24/7 and do it. Problem is he's the worst manager I've ever worked for. He didn't even speak to me for the first month I was in his group. If you were to ask him a question to tap his knowledge he would mock you for not knowing already.
I have a manager like this. Although it's not so much that she trusts nobody, but more that it takes a really long time to earn her trust. You end up in a situation where she pretty much only delegates work to her 3-4 most trusted employees, and everyone else kind of has a role as a subordinate to those 3-4 people. It's a weird informal team lead kind of arrangement. Not good.

Last edited by Pocshy2.0 (2017-02-26 11:56:08)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

If he could produce all the work himself he would stay in the office 24/7 and do it.
Me too. I don't like dealing with people, its really tiring explaining what you want in detail, documenting it, having people go away and do the wrong thing, then them being upset and butt-hurt when they have to do it again because they didn't pay attention or have some mental illness.

A good example was last week, instructions were written down very clearly.

- Use part set A and carry out test 1 using a limit of 90% of 5200
- Use part set B and carry out test 2 using a limit of 6600
Don't fuck it up because these are the only parts we have and it'll be weeks to get new ones.

"I used part set B and carried out test 1 and a limit of 90% of 6600! Part set A and carried out test 2 using a limit of 5200+6600 = 11800 ! Here are the results! Didn't I do well!"

Then there are low-level egotists who think they know best. I've run into a good number of mechanics and technicians who substitute their own numbers for no clear reason other than to make themselves feel big.

"The manual says torque to 100Nm then continue 20 degrees, but I don't do that, I torque to 80Nm then continue 30 degrees. I've like torqued loads of nuts so I know what I'm talking about OK?"

"Thanks, I'll get someone else, or just do it myself"

"Oh, think you're better than me do ya? Because you've got a degree and shit? Well I'm the expert on nuts so fuck you"
Its wearing.

Problem is he's the worst manager I've ever worked for.
Maybe so. And it takes a bloody long time to earn my trust.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2017-02-26 19:15:22)

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America
I made a well-reasoned argument citing various specifics of our protocols as to why a certain small error doesn't require a full-scale several-hour investigation, which will not result in correcting the reason the error happens. However, this non-value added activity has just been "how it's done" with this other department for ages. My argument was swiftly disregarded. Motherfuck it.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Management is awesome. I've pretty well given up trying to inject any sense into anything.

The general manager still writes everything down in his notebook longhand.
The production supervisor manages production with a heap of papers which are more Tippex than paper.

We have computers people....
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Got a job offer! $15k pay bump over previous job, but with slightly worse benefits. Two more interviews next week
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

Jay wrote:

Got a job offer! $15k pay bump over previous job, but with slightly worse benefits. Two more interviews next week
whats the net increase minus bennies.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Cybargs wrote:

Jay wrote:

whats the net increase minus bennies.
I mean, it's nothing major, a 15 minute longer workday, starting from scratch building up vacation time above 2 weeks, though I would get 2 more sick days. Health insurance I get through my wife anyway because she works for a huge company.

Overall, it's roughly the same as my old firm and pretty typical for my industry.

I have an interview on Tuesday with a firm that is closer to home. It's a 20 minute drive to the office rather than the 15 minute drive plus 60 minute train ride I've been dealing with for 4 years, and would keep doing if I took the offer in hand. Saving $4,000/yr on train tickets and 2 hours on my daily commute is pretty huge to me. Fingers crossed!
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686
I would much rather work closer to home lol.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
You need to stay within the Marchetti constant
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marchetti's_constant
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
It's just the nature of where I live to have long commutes. The railroad today is roughly the same that it was 150 years ago.
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
for someone who makes so much money you sure did choose to live in a shitty area. no sewers and an Abraham Lincoln railroad
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney

Cybargs wrote:

I would much rather work closer to home lol.
Same.
uziq
+492|3422
my next commute will be a 7 minute walk.
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
Mine is about a ten minute bus ride and 12 or so minutes walk all up. I'm pretty happy with that. And I live in a good part of the city's inner west.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

Jaekus wrote:

Mine is about a ten minute bus ride and 12 or so minutes walk all up. I'm pretty happy with that. And I live in a good part of the city's inner west.
>inner west
>good

pick one.

poor choice from moving out of crowie
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
Don't knock it till you've tried it. My commute has cut in half and I live in a better house on a street right near Parramatta Rd.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6651|Disaster Free Zone

Jaekus wrote:

on a street right near Parramatta Rd.
Is something to be happy about?

That's about the worst road in Sydney.
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
It's convenient with the bus lane all the way to work. And then times I drive aren't always very busy (evenings, etc).

This is turning into a FWP thread.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard