SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690

Pocshy2.0 wrote:

uziq wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Pocshy's PSU should be fine with just the components listed. Could probably even get away with a 400W.
was referring more to its bronze-rating and the fact its made by EVGA, a company whose PSUs are notorious for failure and issues, rather than its capacity.

would rather get a gold-rated modular PSU if i were going to spend that amount of moolah on a system. i've had a PSU brick an entire system once before – you really feel like an idiot for not spending that extra $50 when a power spike destroys a mobo and CPU.
Do you know what bronze and gold even mean? It is an efficiency rating. EVGA has been pretty solid for years. When was the last time you bought one? I know Corsair is still better, but EVGA isn't in the shits at all.

And I knew the keyboard is potentially not going to suit my preferences. I wanted to give it a try at the price point. I even said I would buy a mechanical if needed.

Thanks though?
I bought a gold rated EVGA psu after my thermaltake psu stared sparking. It is great so far. Is yours modular?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Pocshy2.0
+23|3341

uziq wrote:

oh and about the evga stuff, there's two issues that we're conflating. with regards to the rating stuff, yes it's an efficiency certificate, but a lower-rated PSU will generate more heat which will wear out the capacitors faster, heat up the ambient temp of your case, and normally the noise levels of the case fans, too. not to mention the fact that, depending on your energy costs and what sort of loads you will run it at, you could probably pay for the difference between the bronze->gold PSU taken over a year or two of inefficient energy consumption in your power bill.

the thing about EVGA is that, at least when i was into building PCs, their PSUs came near the bottom of the charts for voltage regulation, ripple, etc. again, you may say i'm being salty because i had a PSU fail on an old computer (not an EVGA PSU, fyi), but my point is that it's the sort of thing that only ever has to fail once and then all of your beautiful build is bricked. why go for the most inefficient and arguably one of the poorest constructed options when the difference is ultimately $40 bucks? again, don't give me some hackneyed analogies about cocaine use. i only buy that pure fish scale, hombre.
There's two issues you are conflating, 'hombre'. I don't know why the efficiency rating is even being discussed. Know what the difference between bronze and gold is? About 4%. I'll pony up the extra $5 a year. It'll hurt, but I'll make it.

Speaking of stretching an argument, "lower-rated PSU will generate more heat which will wear out the capacitors faster"? You mean that 4% that gets converted to heat and noise? Something tells me this build isn't going to last more than 15 years no matter what I buy. I think the tolerances alone will absorb it.

Keep buying "that pure fish scale."

Last edited by Pocshy2.0 (2017-02-25 15:38:30)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I wouldn't count on a computer built today being a subpar gaming machine in thirty years at the rate things are going in the gaming industry.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
The PSU is the cheapest part of the equation which has the potential to do the most damage if it fails.

Also IIRC there's some inverse correlation between efficiency and robustness for electronic reasons.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
uziq
+492|3422
don't worry, if it "isn't cutting it on the daily" he'll replace it
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6144|Sydney | ♥

uziq wrote:

uuuuum PSUs don't really 'show signs of failing'. they don't cough and splutter. a PSU failure happens once, it happens suddenly, and it takes out all of your shit.
yes and no. for psus that are young, i'd say definately. I'd say for high end quality psus that have existed in a build for 6+ years can cause weird shit to happen. bsods with messages that blame the ram, cpu, gfx (anything that uses power) but at the end of the day it's simply not giving what it used to, but hasn't exactly failed.

me personally, i've only ever purchased corsair or antec psus. I had a thermaltake one once in a home budget server, it's still working, but it just doesn't gel with me to risk upwards of $1500 behind a $30 psu. idk.
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
Pocshy2.0
+23|3341

uziq wrote:

don't worry, if it "isn't cutting it on the daily" he'll replace it
There are several signs that PSU is potentially going to fail soon. System instability, Performance instability, display problems. There are also a few warning shots before a full catastrophic failure in most cases. Overheating and wattage drops are the most common.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

EVGA Supernova GS 550W 220-GS-0550-V1 Fully Modular Power Supply ($80) has been generally well received by customers and reviewers. Low failure rate, good component QC, satisfies for 80+ gold penor even if not platinum or titanium.

He should be fine with the bronze model listed, but if he's expecting to constantly be having scrupulously monitor that thing throughout its lifetime, it would probably be better to exchange a few dollars for some peace of mind. I mean really, I wouldn't want possible fluctuations making it past overvoltage protection and getting into those top-notch components constantly nagging my thoughts while I'm trying to kill internet tanks.
uziq
+492|3422
not sure why we're still piddling over the details at this stage, my basic comment with regards to both the keyboard and PSU is that they're two parts i wouldn't want to cheap out on. clearly no expense has been spared with the GPU and other high-value, sensitive equipment. why would you go for a basic PSU? and again, trying a mid-range mech keyboard because you only want 'dip your toes' into the world of mechanical with a silly hybrid is dumb. pay the extra $30 and get a keyboard you will literally never replace again.

i'm not just extemporising and making up stuff about EVGA's PR disaster with PSUs. they had to recall a bunch a few years ago and some of their main models shipped with horrible voltage stats – very worrying for a brand that ordinarily carry a 'gamer gear' imprimatur (EVGA were my go-to manufacturer for graphics cards). anyway, in the hardware boards i used to visit back when i gave a shit about pc gaming, they had a bad rep. for e.g.:

https://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/1948592/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL
https://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/1948598/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL

again: i'm not making some sustained critique of EVGA in particular here. more the principle of stretching an extra $25 and getting the premium product. if you can afford the 'black edition' GPU i'm not sure why you'd skimp on the other details.

Last edited by uziq (2017-02-26 13:20:23)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I remember, but 2013 is ancient history. For all that, today's EVGA's PSUs occupy some of the top spots in hardware site review charts. I even remember back when choosing an EVGA card was laughed at. I don't think you're on a crusade against the company. Putting a little more money down on a higher-end PSU for a high-end rig isn't a bad idea at all. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that EVGA doesn't mean bottom tier.

If someone wanted to make an afternoon of it, they could peruse model OEMs at http://www.orionpsudb.com/ .
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Someone please explain the difference between IMAP and POP.

My Telco is trying to push everyone onto IMAP because its 'better'. Apart from allowing people to sync all their devices - I have two and am happy managing everything on my PC instead of twice - is there any actual difference or can I continue in my ignorance and use POP forever?

Is POP likely to really be phased out or are IMAP and POP just different ways of accessing the same database?
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6144|Sydney | ♥

IMAP is much better than POP for many reasons. You should change.

IMAP is a syncing tool, while POP is a downloading tool.

What this means is that with IMAP, you always have your folders, and emails. It syncs both ways between your local email client and the cloud. All your devices do this. You can move emails, download, delete, and it will sync to the cloud and all devices connected by IMAP.

POP downloads new emails to any devices that connect to the server. Once an email has been downloaded once, the client will flag that email for deletion at a determined length of time, usually two weeks. This allows for any other email client connecting to catch up and also download it. If a client doesn't connect within two weeks, that client will not get that email.

POP has been 'phasing out' for many companies since the early 2000s.

Personally I just use gmail with inbox. I can't be bothered with email clients like outlook, thunderbird, or the like.

I've come across many older folks who used to change their email each time they changed telco.... set them up with a gmail account and now they're happy as larry.

edit: one more thing, if you're going to use POP or IMAP, please use the SSL connections.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England
Phone says the micro SD card is corrupted. When I plug it in to my reader it shows only 24.2 gb of 103 gb. Any hope in saving the rest?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
SD cards are cheap just get another
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Yes, but i want the photos and other crap that I had on there. Is there any way to recover it?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6144|Sydney | ♥

Depends... If you used it as an extendable memory in android, and the phone can't read it, it's gone, as android will encrypt it.

If you used it as a portable SD card in android, then try plugging it into a computer.

Another plug to always backup your photos... Google photos is unlimited and free.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I found my high school year book. If I want to digitize it. I have a high resolution photography camera I can use. I am just not sure where to upload it. Does Facebook allow albums with dozens of images in it? How bad will FB compress it? I uploaded a video a while back and it made the thing look terrible.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Facebook is fine with pictures, many pictures of my cat prove the point.

Photography cameras are the best kind, as opposed to the other kind, you're better off finding a scanner.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I don't know why it's even a question of not using a scanner if we're talking about concern for quality.
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6144|Sydney | ♥

https://u.tazz.me/2017-03-31_16.06.28.jpg

Just realised the clouds on Google maps are real.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Windows Creators update changed my screen resolution and I can't figure out how to get it to fit correctly again. Great job, MS.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Windows 10 is actually OK.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Windows 10 made me have to buy a new video card. Do not recommend. Stay with Win 7.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
This a decent rig?

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16883101536

Looking to spend less than $1000. Will be used for autocad and the very occasional game, so will have to up the ram to 32.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard