Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5148|Sydney
Nice one.
uziq
+492|3422

DesertFox- wrote:

Grats.

Secondly, out of genuine curiousity, what sort of writing and research do you do, exactly? The closest relationships I have to people in a vaguely creative/publishing sort of field are involved on a like quasi-marketing level, so it is truly an area in which I have astounding ignorance.
i'm an editor which means i don't do anything with marketing or publicity, really. i commission new books, edit manuscripts, proofread, source and manage art direction, cost and contract book production/printing (including freelancers, graphic design, typesetting, indexing, etc.) and quality-check books before they go to print. i also do a shitload of author management, quasi-agent stuff, basically keeping a stable of writers happy, attending book launches, etc. i'll be doing the exact same job but working on academic journals rather than what we call 'trade' books (i.e. books intended to sell to a general audience).

my own writing and research is keeping up with my field for a PhD. was meant to start it something like 3 years ago but have been sidetracked with family stuff and just generally not wanting to deal with the soul-crushing isolation and stress of grad school on top of everything else. very much something i do want to do, though. moving into academic journal publishing is a nice sideways move to keep me involved in academia (also free access to paywalled journals, natch).

@pocshy, the institute has an office located in central bristol (some hipster city in the south-west of the UK; think banksy and massive attack). i'd prefer to move to a nice apartment in the city so that i have an airport on my doorstep (gf will be living in berlin for next 6 months and it's a 2 hour so hop on the plane away.) i don't mind relocating – it seems like a cool place to live.

Last edited by uziq (2017-02-11 18:32:00)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

My Visa card has no annual fee
but dilbert, we are talking about amex. My visa card also has no annual fees.  Imagine that
So why does anyone need an Amex?
Outside the US all I've ever heard anyone say is "FFS don't get an Amex"
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America
I remember a commercial in the 90s from a competitor warning you that some places don't take American Express.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

Dilbert_X wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

but dilbert, we are talking about amex. My visa card also has no annual fees.  Imagine that
Good thing I don't live outside the U.S.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

Dilbert_X wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

I use Amex all the time in Aus, HK, Taiwan and Japan... Don't know what you're on about.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

why does anyone need a credit card in general?  cybargs, what you are witnessing is unhappy men trying to make everyone else as miserable as they are.
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6144|Sydney | ♥

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

why does anyone need a credit card in general?  cybargs, what you are witnessing is unhappy men trying to make everyone else as miserable as they are.
Depends on the amount one makes purchases. Business credit cards are fantastic, especially if you're able to put a good amount of stock through and get points towards flights etc.

Personal credit cards are similar- you can earn points that can, depending on the amount you average spend, that can outweigh the cost of the card and provide yourself with savings, such as petrol or flights etc.

Personally I have a card for only two reasons: actually have a credit rating, and allow for myself to accrue interest on my money before it's used on a purchase, albeit a minute amount.
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

what you are witnessing is unhappy men trying to make everyone else as miserable as they are.
Obviously that's true, but in this case I'm just asking why anyone would use Amex in preference to Visa.

Personally I barely use my credit card, my personal spending is mostly through small retailers and I don't see the value of robbing them and splitting the proceeds with a faceless corporation.
I prefer to use my debit card, often I avoid the credit card surcharge which is more beneficial than points towards a toaster or something.
Plus the retailer often gives me a better price or deal in the first place when they know they're getting instant cash as opposed to funds when visa deigns to pass it on which can be a month or more.

My parents put $100k/year through their credit card, rack up the points and seem to get bugger all benefit.
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
AMEX has a better rewards system than other cards. That's why.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
They have a better rewards system because they rape the retailers harder, that's why retailers hate them and many don't accept Amex at all.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

Dilbert_X wrote:

They have a better rewards system because they rape the retailers harder, that's why retailers hate them and many don't accept Amex at all.
maybe not in shithole adelaide but i can use my amex 95% of places.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
My work accepts AMEX all the time. We don't pass on the surcharge.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6592|Little Bentcock
Amex is way expensive and most shops either won't take it or charge crazy surcharges for it.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Cybargs wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

maybe not in shithole adelaide but i can use my amex 95% of places.
Well of course crack dealers don't take Visa or Amex.
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
You know you're seeing a high class hooker when she takes AMEX.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
There are girls who take EFTPOS.
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
Wonder if they do cash out.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I guess you can ask.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
Reminds me of the the tanker that slipped over the rails in Baltimore and exploded a couple months ago

uziq
+492|3422
oh my god YO
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Looking through bed bath and beyond online. Excited about getting nice new things for my new apartment soon. Especially my home office.
uziq
+492|3422
you mean your parent's apartment? should be pretty cool inviting back those hot topic 17yo goth girls to your mom's maisonette.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I have a separate entrance, my own kitchen, two bathrooms, two bed rooms. Never see my parents.

This euphoria I am in must be the same feeling men get before they murder their wives for their life insurance

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard