Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

uziq wrote:

her parents sent her to school in montauk where their second home is. first home is in manhattan. the dad runs his own centre at stanford for half the year.

very nouveau riche. pot kettle ... black?
No one sends their kids to school in Montauk. It's a beach town that shuts down in the winter. There's like 20 people who live there in the winter.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3422
i'm sure you know best jay. where are you sending your kid to school?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

i'm sure you know best jay. where are you sending your kid to school?
Right across the street.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3422
poor thing. he never stood a chance.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Right now he's sitting in my lap watching Super Why while I make fun of you on the internet. It's a good Saturday morning
-Frederick Bastiat
Pocshy2.0
+23|3340

Jay wrote:

Right now he's sitting in my lap watching Super Why while I make fun of you on the internet. It's a good Saturday morning
Only 5 more years until he realizes what dad does on Saturday mornings. Cherish it.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Jay slowly makes it up his stairs and into his bedroom. The bed he once shared with his wife now host a collection of leg exercise equipment. He rolls into bed and lays on his back staring up in the air. As he doozes off into sleep his tells himself one final thing: "Macbeth was right about everything"

The end.
Jay wakes up coughing and weezing as he usually does. His heart races when he sees the time. It was 10AM. His stolen cellphone's alarm didn't go off. It was damaged when he lost feeling in his oversized fingers once and dropped it. Jay briefly thinks he is having a heart attack but his heart rate drops after a few minutes.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America
BF2s has been awful full of bickering lately. Brings back all the warm feelings of the days gone by.
mkxiii
online bf2s mek evasion
+509|6206|Uk
Lets all be friends

#BFF2s

Last edited by mkxiii (2016-12-19 17:11:25)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6122|what

DesertFox- wrote:

BF2s has been awful full of bickering lately. Brings back all the warm feelings of the days gone by.
Agreed. +1
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5148|Sydney
Well I'm drinking a beer right now.

Cheers cunce!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Christmas shopping is all done for me. Can't wait to give out the gifts. The best part of Christmas is the look on the face of the person when you give them something they will love.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6260|Washington St.

SuperJail Warden wrote:

The best part of Christmas is the look on the face of the person when you give them something they will love.
feyg
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
why do you hate Christmas?
DesertFox-
Have you guys experienced the phenomenon where people you interact with conflate remembering things with being smart? I have a IMO pretty good memory for details (which often manifests as movie quotes and useless facts I've read) but there have been several instances where I've been called over to fix a problem others can't or answer some question, even though nothing would lead you to believe I know anything about it. I will be the first to tell people that I just recall certain things, but am as dumb as a box of rocks. I still find it strange that this occurs with such frequency.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Christmas shopping is all done for me. Can't wait to give out the gifts. The best part of Christmas is the look on the face of the person when you give them something they will love.
I gave a Lego set to the Salvation Army Christmas thing.

In my mind I have a picture of some poor little kid opening it, and his parents selling it to buy crack.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

DesertFox- wrote:

Have you guys experienced the phenomenon where people you interact with conflate remembering things with being smart? I have a IMO pretty good memory for details (which often manifests as movie quotes and useless facts I've read) but there have been several instances where I've been called over to fix a problem others can't or answer some question, even though nothing would lead you to believe I know anything about it. I will be the first to tell people that I just recall certain things, but am as dumb as a box of rocks. I still find it strange that this occurs with such frequency.
Memory is usually a sign of intelligence
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3422

Jay wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

being able to retain trivia is impressive in bars and pub quizzes but not generally a sign of intelligence, which involves applying knowledge in dynamic ways.

ditto being able to cram for an exam and practice rote memorisation doesn't mean you'll be able to problem solve or think analytically. memory in itself is not that useful without critical skills and processes of selectivity. what you get is ferocious autists with eidetic memory who are good for tv specials.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

DesertFox- wrote:

being able to retain trivia is impressive in bars and pub quizzes but not generally a sign of intelligence, which involves applying knowledge in dynamic ways.

ditto being able to cram for an exam and practice rote memorisation doesn't mean you'll be able to problem solve or think analytically. memory in itself is not that useful without critical skills and processes of selectivity. what you get is ferocious autists with eidetic memory who are good for tv specials.
Sure, but if you have a good memory it helps with analogies and connections. You can't apply past knowledge if you can't remember it.
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6601|949

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I agree. I hate putting a list together for myself. I LOVE giving gifts.  My favorite part too
DesertFox-

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

Sure, but if you have a good memory it helps with analogies and connections. You can't apply past knowledge if you can't remember it.
The thing that precipitated my post was some problem at work where I remembered some semi-obscure part of our SOPs that we could use in our situation that was somewhat similar to a different problem a couple years ago. It's just irksome to me when people say "How can you remember that?" in situations where I'm like "how can you not?!" It's like some people just don't learn from their experiences.

I concur with Zeek though about the difference. To me, it's like how my uncles all remember every player who has ever been on a sports team, but that's nothing impressive that you would consider "intelligent", though a lot of people I run into fail to make that distinction.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
There's some correlation, but many people can remember a lot of useless information like sports stats without being able to apply it in the most basic way.
My sister memorised all the questions and answers in a trivial pursuit box but can't learn fractions for example.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
How often does she play trivia pursuit vs needing to do functions?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
The point is she can rote learn factlets but can't stretch her brain to pick up simple stuff.
uziq
+492|3422

SuperJail Warden wrote:

How often does she play trivia pursuit vs needing to do functions?
learning fractions and their method has multiple real-world applications. it can be useful.

whilst someone from a pragmatic point of view may end up playing trivial pursuit with relatives more often than using fractions, the point is they're only ever going to be good at getting high scores at trivial pursuit. those facts aren't leading anywhere.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard