unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I think 'Batman v Superman' was trying to do too many things at once. It also took itself way too seriously. Since sending Batman on a murderous rampage was apparently not gritty enough, they liberally applied dark video filters and rubble confetti to every other scene to drive in the point beyond what the depressing ham-script had already accomplished.

It felt like I was being treated to some sort of political propaganda with an identity crisis.

I also like how they avoided using 'vs.' in the title because that would just be silly, wouldn't it.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
BvS was made as a launching pad for a Justice League series to compete with the Avengers.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I know that. But it's like the whole thing could've been simplified to a poster of the two glowering at each other in the middle of an explosion while Wonder Woman does something useful in the background.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

The new Star Trek was very good. Better than the 2nd.

Hard to compare to the 1st though. I was pleasantly surprised by it.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Star Trek - 7/10 Formulaic Star Trek (and there's nothing wrong with that) - Try to make friends with everyone, unite with the friendly aliens to defeat the evil aliens. Chris Pine is now a good Kirk, and Jaylah was a lot of fun

Jason Bourne - 5/10 Handheld camera work was so jarring as to be completely distracting, and the story basically went nowhere, had nothing original, etc. The whole 'chase multiple people through crowds, tunnels, buildings etc without losing them' thing got a bit lame after the fourth or fifth time.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Was the guy who couldn't operate an emergency brake in this Star Trek movie?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Saw Suicide Squad  4/10

Expectations were low going into this and they still managed to disappoint.
Spoiler (highlight to read):
So in this movie Superman died somehow and the government gets worried that another "meta-human" is going to come along and cause mayhem and they won't have anything to stop it. So they decide to put together a team of "bad guys" and "meta-humans" who they could use to protect themselves and do dirty work with plausible deniability.

Alright so the movie starts at this super max prison and shows each of the suicide squad fighting with the guards and stuff. Then the government lady starts her bit where she introduces each one by showing them commit a really bad crime. The final member she introduces is a witch they found in the amazon forest cave.

Alright so the witch's back story was that an archaeologist roped down by herself into a amazon cave and found a small statue that had the witch locked in it. And when she broke the statue's head, the witch took over her body. The witch can teleport thousands of miles instantly and other stuff. Anyway the witch doesn't always control the scientist lady and sometimes she will be her normal self while the witch disappears somewhere.

The government lady explains to a bunch of generals that the Navy Seals rescued the girl who was controlled by the witch and the girl and navy seal leader fell in love. It is never explained why the Navy Seals were looking for this girl but whatever. They managed to find a way to control the witch by having her heart in a suitcase. How they found her heart or managed to get it into a suitcase is never explained but the government lady carries it around with her.

So they take the suicide squad out of prison and puts bombs in their neck and tells them they work for the government now. The night they put the suicide squad together, the witch decides to go evil and teleports to some office buildingwhere they have another statue in a closet with other stuff just sitting there.

The witch breaks off the head of the statue and lets her brother out and tells him they need to destroy humanity together. Why she waited so long to do all of this and not like 5 minutes after she took over the scientist isn't explained nor do they mention why she didn't teleport away with her heart when she got a chance. So the witch lets out her brother who goes into a NYC subway and starts absorbing people and destroying things.

that's the first half of movie. i'll explain the second half if anyone cares to read it but i can tell you it doesn't get any better.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I'm going to see it and I plan to enjoy it.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/63/51/36/635136ea77044270f515edc46293b1da.jpg

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2016-08-11 03:01:06)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
There are plenty of shots of her in shorts so you have that to look forward to.

Natural Born Killer 5/10

Awful, offensive, and dated. It's really tragic so many people died because of this terrible movie.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Yes, I enjoyed that part.

Suicide Squad - 6/10 - It just didn't quite work, Margot Robbie notwithstanding. There was nothing bad about it, its just the storyline has been used so many times already.
If Harley Quin is in the follow up I will watch it however, and I foresee many chubby Harley Quins at the next Comic-Con.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

Dilbert_X wrote:

Yes, I enjoyed that part.

Suicide Squad - 6/10 - It just didn't quite work, Margot Robbie notwithstanding. There was nothing bad about it, its just the storyline has been used so many times already.
If Harley Quin is in the follow up I will watch it however, and I foresee many chubby Harley Quins at the next Comic-Con.
Two big problems I had with it:

1. They are supposed to be bad guys but did nothing bad in the movie. Never killed civilians or stole etc. In fact the movie went out of its way to humanize them when it really shouldn't have. Like Deadshot caring for his daughter more than killing Batman or giving up his freedom to not kill Harley. He is supposed to be a sociopath hitman.

2. They shouldn't have had to face such a strong villain so quickly. If this girl was bringing about the end of the world, where was Batman, the Flash, etc.? It should have been a sort of spy movie where they had to do something nefarious or capture a terrorist instead of saving the world.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6651|Disaster Free Zone
Total Recall - 7  Classic 80s Arnie action, good family fun movie.

Total Recall - 5  Not a bad remake, visually looks nicer with todays technology. But the setup and story are a bit weaker and they keep throwing in fan service scenes to the original which don't really fit the story or pacing.

Bridge of Spies - 9  Not a huge fan of a lot of Hanks movies, but this is a must see. Based on the true story of prison exchange between the USA and USSR during the cold war. Story, pacing and acting are all great.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Two big problems I had with it:

1. They are supposed to be bad guys but did nothing bad in the movie. Never killed civilians or stole etc. In fact the movie went out of its way to humanize them when it really shouldn't have. Like Deadshot caring for his daughter more than killing Batman or giving up his freedom to not kill Harley. He is supposed to be a sociopath hitman.

2. They shouldn't have had to face such a strong villain so quickly. If this girl was bringing about the end of the world, where was Batman, the Flash, etc.? It should have been a sort of spy movie where they had to do something nefarious or capture a terrorist instead of saving the world.
I don't really care too much about plot holes in these kinds of films.

Here's another picture of Harley Quin

https://images-cdn.moviepilot.com/images/c_fill,h_232,w_480/t_mp_quality_gif/ltoryawalagcysnztpjn/rumor-harley-quinn-s-solo-movie-is-coming-in-2019-1093398.jpg

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2016-08-16 02:09:06)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Natural Born Killer 5/10

Awful, offensive, and dated. It's really tragic so many people died because of this terrible movie.
*allegedly

If it wasn't that, it would probably be something else. Doom, maybe.

SuperJail Warden wrote:

This is a problem with just about every comic book movie. Teen Titans: Alien demon boss turns the planet into a living hellscape. Justice League is apparently busy elsewhere. And where the heck are the Avengers when Magneto and the X-Men are tearing up a city? Just ignore it. You'll feel better.

I thought Batman vs. Superman went over the top on homicidal grit. Was Suicide Squad really that tame?
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Natural Born Killer 5/10

*allegedly

If it wasn't that, it would probably be something else. Doom, maybe.

SuperJail Warden wrote:

This is a problem with just about every comic book movie. Teen Titans: Alien demon boss turns the planet into a living hellscape. Justice League is apparently busy elsewhere. And where the heck are the Avengers when Magneto and the X-Men are tearing up a city? Just ignore it. You'll feel better.

I thought Batman vs. Superman went over the top on homicidal grit. Was Suicide Squad really that tame?
That's not a good counter example. The X-men series and Avengers exist in different universes as far as the movies go. Neither has made any reference to the other and have their own offshoots. The Flash, Batman, and Aquaman all show up in this movie.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Perhaps one case refuted film-wise, but my point still stands.

X-Men, Avengers, Spiderman, Fantastic 4, etc. all share the same horrible comic book universe. I was sure they mentioned Wolverine somewhere in the Avengers movies, but who can keep track of all the Easter eggs.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
We aren't supposed to talk about Fantastic 4.
uziq
+492|3422
i only just got around to seeing birdman.

it was good. i did enjoy it. i do like ed norton.

the ending reminded me of the sopranos. both are very self-aware and hyper-referential and in both cases the drama is both so genuinely 'staged' drama but then also in such a habit of undermining itself and pointing to the fact it's fake that you almost can't believe in a conventional ending.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I was surprised at how many people were convinced Spoiler (highlight to read):
that he flew at the end. It always seems to come up whenever I have a conversation about the film.
uziq
+492|3422
i guess that's the point of an ambiguous ending, hey.

i only noticed when i read up that you guys were talking about yet more shitty comic movies. quite apropos.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Today's shitty comic movies will be more relevant in 100 years than some two-bit actor agonising over his shitty career.
uziq
+492|3422
they will only be noted en bloc as signifying a period of 'franchise' movies hallmarked for creative bankruptcy, recombinant banality, and perhaps even the end of the hollywood studio system as once traditionally understood. last gasps sort of thing. the comic franchise idea is an incredibly conservative set-up. it's the sign of an industry that has lost confidence in itself and is hedging its bets to a certain degree.

birdman isn't a Great Movie. it's not going to be A Classic. it's fairly predictable that such a film exists, critiquing the current state of film culture around it. it's well written, well shot, well soundtracked, well acted. in short, it sets up the target of its satire from the start and executes itself impeccably well. it's hard to take objection to a high-quality movie that laments the state of so many low-quality movies. it's very easy to say that comic book movies are shit and forgettable – to do it in a way that is clever and memorable is what makes birdman a good movie.

Last edited by uziq (2016-08-21 04:18:42)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
re: birdman. I think people were more impressed with the long tracking shots than the story or acting being particularly good. it only got the oscar because there was nothing else good that year.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I see the current crop of team-based superhero films as the resurgence of positivism and faith in the better parts of humanity in a difficult world.

That they aren't backward looking and filled with obscure and self-referential quotes that only the dustiest academic would find amusing is irrelevant.

Here's another picture of Angel Dust to help move the discussion along.

https://i.imgur.com/WTerBAtl.jpg

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2016-08-21 06:27:54)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

Dilbert_X wrote:

I see the current crop of team-based superhero films as the resurgence of positivism and faith in the better parts of humanity in a difficult world.

That they aren't backward looking and filled with obscure and self-referential quotes that only the dustiest academic would find amusing is irrelevant.

Here's another picture of Angel Dust to help move the discussion along.

I didn't even recognize her when I first saw the movie. She got fat.
https://www.pkbaseline.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/gina-carano-weigh-in.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard