Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5354|London, England

SuperJail Warden wrote:

What makes you think people don't build personal connections in cities?

I don't live in the suburbs. My city has a population density of 11,000 people per square mile.
You might as well be in Staten Island. Sure as shit ain't high density like downtown Brooklyn or Manhattan.

Transience precludes lasting connections in most cases. People don't rent the same apartment for 50 years unless they have a grandfathered rent controlled one. They move around. Most people who live in NYC come from elsewhere and either move back, move to a different city, or move out to the suburbs.

You have millions of interactions every day with total strangers and everyone forms their own protective shell to shield themselves from the wanton assholeness of the people they interact with every day. Do you understand how tiring it is dealing with people who know they can do whatever they want because there are no social consequences? People here know they can be an asshole with impunity because they likely won't ever be seen the impacted person ever again. This anonymity is a blessing for people who feel like they are outsiders in "normal" society, but it has some major downsides.

As for services like power, lighting, roads, gas etc. I pay for that with my property taxes and utility bills so what do you care?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Also, the urbanist argument is made by every 20 something who moves to Brooklyn or San Francisco to live in the big city. Be original.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716
Staten Island has a density of 8000 people. My city has a density of 11,000.

The infrastructure to build things like highway exits to middle of nowhere places cost state money. It cost state money to rescue someone living in some trapped area because they didn't like being around people.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6628|949

SuperJail Warden wrote:

There are a lot of serious reasons to move into more urban areas. Suburbs and big houses are a waste of resources. I mean on a society level and not on a personal one like Jay is about to say.
Advertising a waste of resources.  Paying for packaging is inefficient.  Buying from a supermarket instead of the farmer directly is a waste of resources.

Let people live where they want.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716
Fine. When the forest is burning down don't ask me for help. I told them not to live near trees.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6287|Washington St.
Jay you got any sail covers lying around your yacht club? I need 11'. Can be used in decent condition, I don't want to pay $250 for a brand new one on my 40 y/o boat.

email ur reply back asap
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

pirana6 wrote:

Jay you got any sail covers lying around your yacht club? I need 11'. Can be used in decent condition, I don't want to pay $250 for a brand new one on my 40 y/o boat.

email ur reply back asap
Email sent
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6628|949

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Fine. When the forest is burning down don't ask me for help. I told them not to live near trees.
SoCal is one of the worst places for wildfires.  We have a "fire season" like some other parts of the world.  I have family friends who lost their house in the Laguna wildfires in 1994(?).  I'm familiar with the risk.  So are they.

don't live near trees
don't live near water
don't live near plains
don't live near fault zones
don't live near_____
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6681|United States of America
Noice. Managed to actually get tickets for Louis CK stopping in Chicago in the beginning of June.
CC-Marley
+407|6825

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

SoCal is one of the worst places for wildfires.  We have a "fire season" like some other parts of the world.  I have family friends who lost their house in the Laguna wildfires in 1994(?).  I'm familiar with the risk.  So are they.

don't live near trees
don't live near water
don't live near plains
don't live near fault zones
don't live near Humans
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6677|Disaster Free Zone

SuperJail Warden wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Sandy
Fuck off.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716
That is a once in a lifetime storm. Forest fires happen all the time in many places. People lose homes in California and elsewhere every year by the thousands.

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2016-05-09 19:23:02)

DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6677|Disaster Free Zone
Hurricanes hit NJ every second year. And every second week if you live further south.

Clearly you know nothing about fires. It takes almost a decade for areas to regenerate and create the required ground cover of dead wood and leaves for a new fire to spread. Live trees do not burn without another fuel source, and even when there is enough fuel you need specific circumstances for a fire to start and even more for that fire to threaten homes.

Yes fires happen every year, so do hurricanes. The really bad fires might happen once every decade or so, but the really bad fires which directly effect you is a once in a lifetime event.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716
Hurricanes don't hit NJ often. Whatever list you got that from probably list tropical storms as hurricanes or the leftovers of hurricanes as something.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6628|949

SuperJail Warden wrote:

That is a once in a lifetime storm. Forest fires happen all the time in many places. People lose homes in California and elsewhere every year by the thousands.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nor'easter

once in a lifetime
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Those are always fun
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
We get blizzards, tropical storms, hurricanes, heat waves and floods, the occasional tornado, and minor earthquakes that don't do any damage.
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6628|949

has anyone here ever ran with the bulls in Pamplona?  Gonna cross it off my list this year.  Any experience or insight is welcomed.

I will also be in London first or third week of July.  Accepting applications to buy beers for people.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6681|United States of America
I've heard the trick is don't get hit by the bulls.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3716
try to take a selfie with one
CC-Marley
+407|6825

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

has anyone here ever ran with the bulls in Pamplona?  Gonna cross it off my list this year.  Any experience or insight is welcomed.

I will also be in London first or third week of July.  Accepting applications to buy beers for people.
I always root for the bulls. Watch your arse..
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6628|949

SuperJail Warden wrote:

try to take a selfie with one
not allowed.  in fact you are not allowed to take any pictures in the area you run in.  They have some very strict rules, i'm sure for good reason.

One of them is you can't be drunk.  I will definitely need a shot of whisky before I hop in.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6320|Graz, Austria
Pro tip:
Don't end up on this list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_o … _attention
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6710|Purplicious Wisconsin
DONE WITH FINALS!!! FUCK YES!!!

Now for break time.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6705|England. Stoke

War Man wrote:

DONE WITH FINALS!!! FUCK YES!
In what?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard