KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6622|949

Jay wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

The real difference is the UK Government can cover all its population for £2069 per person or ~6.5% GDP. With an Additional £500 per capita spent on private health care.
The US Government spends about $5000 per person (~9% GDP) to cover about 30% of the population with an additional $5000 per capita being spent on private health care.

And for having 1.5times the tax burden and an having to foot your own bill 70% of the time you still get no better result.
The US government spends $5000 per person because everyone they cover is over 65 years old. It's easy to say your system is more efficient when you're including people who never use the healthcare system.
oh i wasn't aware medicaid and medicare were only available to seniors.  Or you're wrong?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5348|London, England

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jay wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

The real difference is the UK Government can cover all its population for £2069 per person or ~6.5% GDP. With an Additional £500 per capita spent on private health care.
The US Government spends about $5000 per person (~9% GDP) to cover about 30% of the population with an additional $5000 per capita being spent on private health care.

And for having 1.5times the tax burden and an having to foot your own bill 70% of the time you still get no better result.
The US government spends $5000 per person because everyone they cover is over 65 years old. It's easy to say your system is more efficient when you're including people who never use the healthcare system.
oh i wasn't aware medicaid and medicare were only available to seniors.  Or you're wrong?
Medicaid is from the states, not US government, though it's all confused now with the subsidies for obamacare.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6622|949

no actually the federal government subsidizies (and did before ACA) Medicaid.  It's administered and partially paid for by the states, but definitely includes federal funding (FMAP).

So you're still wrong.
uziq
+492|3443
i've had my whole life paid for and set up by federal largesse but universal healthcare is an abomination to me.

if your relative is dying of cancer, that's too bad. but it's cool that the government subsidized my college and gave me a salary to play xbox in a bunker in the middle east.

Last edited by uziq (2016-05-10 13:03:09)

SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3710
this website has really made me dislike military people. all of the ones here except gunslinger and marine were into small government ideas but took every military handout they could.

i wonder if this is just a new thing or if it has always been such a way. i have never heard my korea veteran grandfathers talk small government or how much of a hero they were.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6765|Noizyland

Only military hand-out I get is concession tickets at the movies. And that's only if my ID is up to date. Thankfully it's quite easy to turn a 6 into an 8. Don't know what I'll do after 2018 though.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6096|eXtreme to the maX

SuperJail Warden wrote:

this website has really made me dislike military people. all of the ones here except gunslinger and marine were into small government ideas but took every military handout they could.

i wonder if this is just a new thing or if it has always been such a way. i have never heard my korea veteran grandfathers talk small government or how much of a hero they were.
Hypocrisy is not something new. Its more blatant than it used to be though. I think the creationists campaigning for their right to impose cognitive dissonance through the education system has made it mainstream.

Your grandfathers were probably quiet achievers, not loud liars.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2016-05-11 02:40:26)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Wow. All this because I said having an NHS in the US isn't feasible. You guys are the best.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
It is feasible, numerous countries manage it with no trouble at all.

I'm just not sure if the reason is you just don't want to pay for it, or if its because you want to keep other people down so you can feel better about yourself.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2016-05-11 03:39:34)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

It is feasible, numerous countries manage it with no trouble at all.

I'm just not sure if the reason is you just don't want to pay for it, or if its because you want to keep other people down so you can feel better about yourself.
Who am I keeping down? Literally everyone has access to a government approved insurance plan. The poor have either free, or heavily subsidized, premiums. If anything, our system is now more egalitarian than yours is. We don't have a separate health care system for the wealthy.
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6707

Jay wrote:

We don't have a separate health care system for the wealthy.
lol are you for real.

The poor have either free, or heavily subsidized, premiums
which means shit if deductibles are like 10k+
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Yes, the poor have insurance which pays out a small fraction of their medical bills for which they then pay the remainder themselves - just like rich people.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6762|PNW

Jay wrote:

The wealthy can still afford better and a larger variety of procedures and doctors than the poor.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Cybargs wrote:

Jay wrote:

lol are you for real.

The poor have either free, or heavily subsidized, premiums
which means shit if deductibles are like 10k+
The plans I just looked at on https://nystateofhealth.ny.gov/individu … mp;youPay=

Had deductibles of about $3500, which is still on the absurd side, you're right. But these are bottom tier plans. $340/month is cheap for basic coverage. Bronze tier plans are considered junk and don't qualify for subsidies. Silver plans do.

Anyway, my wife has around $430 deducted from her paycheck every month to pay our share of our insurance plan, so our plan probably costs $1000-1200 per month. Our deductible is like $50.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Jay wrote:

The wealthy can still afford better and a larger variety of procedures and doctors than the poor.
It depends on which insurance provider they have. Can the rich travel to pick their doctors? Yes, of course. But I live in New York where pretty much the best doctors in the country work and they serve both the rich and the poor.
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6762|PNW

"Garbage" coverage at that rate is still very expensive for low wages that struggle to meet things like rent, food, childcare, etc., but no separate health care for the wealthy. Gotcha.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6707

Jay wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Jay wrote:

It depends on which insurance provider they have. Can the rich travel to pick their doctors? Yes, of course. But I live in New York where pretty much the best doctors in the country work and they serve both the rich and the poor.
Same in aus?

I went to a public hospital to get surgery for my finger (kwire). Transferred to the private one next door because they can do it immediately where as in public it's a triage system. nek minnit same hand doctor from public hospital rocked up to my private surgery lol.

You get the same treatment, I mean doctors are all trained the same way, but it's the post-op quality and wait time that makes a diff.

The only thing I'll bitch about a public system is the fucking wait. Spent 2 days being prepped for surgery to be told to go home since surgeons were  busy. Being hungry for 2 days fucking sucked.

My private health insurance premium is 1800 a year for meself with extras and a 400 dollar deductible for hospitals.

http://www.defencehealth.com.au/media/1 … tguide.pdf
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6707

Jay wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Jay wrote:

That's like saying the rich and the poor get the same lawyers since they both came out of the same schools.

A legal aid lawyer from Harvard still isn't going to run your case as well as a lawyer from a big firm, even with the same intelligence and what not.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

"Garbage" coverage at that rate is still very expensive for low wages that struggle to meet things like rent, food, childcare, etc., but no separate health care for the wealthy. Gotcha.
You get what you pay for. The silver plans are only like $60 more than the cheapest bronze plan. The people who end up in a bad place are the types that pinch pennies in the wrong place. Healthcare is not the place to skimp.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Cybargs wrote:

Jay wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

That's like saying the rich and the poor get the same lawyers since they both came out of the same schools.

A legal aid lawyer from Harvard still isn't going to run your case as well as a lawyer from a big firm, even with the same intelligence and what not.
What are you talking about? We don't have separate hospitals. You do.
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Pretty sure a bum off the street isn't going to be put in a bed alongside Lloyd Blankfein, get the same doctors, same treatment, same medicine etc now is he?

I doubt they'll even be in the same building.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2016-05-11 05:43:56)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6707

Jay wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Jay wrote:

What are you talking about? We don't have separate hospitals. You do.
ughh because they're all private there?

Our NHS covers 75% of private health care costs anyway. Anyone can elect to go into private care. Even public hospitals have a private care section as well.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6401|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

Pretty sure a bum off the street isn't going to be put in a bed alongside Lloyd Blankfein, get the same doctors, same treatment, same medicine etc now is he?

For elective care? No

For emergent/emergency care? Absolutely
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
uziq
+492|3443

FEOS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

For elective care? No

For emergent/emergency care? Absolutely
wouldn't it be great to be treated as equals in the face of emergencies and death and then NOT have a lifetime of fees and debts afterwards? a beautiful idea. so elegant ... it's almost ... do able ...
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3710
A private hospital that doesn't accept Medicare or Medicaid can turn away people even in emergency cases. I have also heard of hospitals illegally turning away emergency visits. Ambulances have had to drive in the opposite direction of the nearest hospital.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard