uziq
+492|3422
thought i'd ask here because i'm too lazy to register for some microsoft tech-geek forum i'll never use again:

does anyone know if you can customise the keyboard shortcuts for word? or maybe windows generally? i mean for basic symbols, not some advanced macro or program command. i want to reassign a new shortcut for the en dash (–) basically. reason for this is that it gets used a helluva lot in my publishing house's style-guide, and whenever i'm working from home, on a 10keyless keyboard, i can't fucking access it. by default i think the keyboard shortcut is ALT+0150/1 or something, but obviously i don't have a numpad on this keyboard. the alternative is normally CTRL and the hyphen key next to the 0 on the top-row... but in word and most windows applications this is also the shortcut for zoom out (the alternative of CTRL & +).

any ideas? i just want CTRL & - to give me an en dash. am i just going to have to sit there with the symbol window or on-screen keyboard up like a dickhead, because i have a 10keyless keyboard?

PLEASE!!!!!!11111111121ONEwun

edit: also i know that if you do a double-hyphen and space it properly, word will auto-bump the hyphen to an en-dash. so typing x -- y and the '--' becomes an en dash. but for reasons that are too long to explain, this is a fucking pain in the ass when copy-editing a manuscript. i don't want to have to retype the word before and the word after everytime i want to change a symbol from one to another with an extra pica's length. tyvm.

Last edited by uziq (2016-01-14 08:03:10)

jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

Have you played around here ...

https://i.imgur.com/vBBbzdI.png
uziq
+492|3422
i have indeed, thanks, but can't seem to find anything that lets you insert a symbol or a key character. it all seems to be program functions.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6260|Washington St.
https://i.imgur.com/F04cXT3.jpg

ye? or ne?
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America
Shit, pirana, you beat me to it.

EDIT: I mean, he wanted En, but the point still stands. I was too busy trying to get my fucking screenshot to actually show up on the forum.

Last edited by DesertFox- (2016-01-14 09:49:00)

pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6260|Washington St.

DesertFox- wrote:

Shit, pirana, you beat me to it.

EDIT: I mean, he wanted En, but the point still stands. I was too busy trying to get my fucking screenshot to actually show up on the forum.
na na nuh boo boo. stick your head in doo doo.
uziq
+492|3422
thank you ya beauties. thank youuuuu

Last edited by uziq (2016-01-14 10:36:53)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard