KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

haha it's not hipster bullshit.  One of my resolutions was to eat a little better (locally sourced as much as possible, less meat in my diet) and cook more.  This helps.

I also go to the farmers market right down the street from where i live.  Kind of lackluster in the offerings right now because not much is in season.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

haha it's not hipster bullshit.
I also go to the farmers market right down the street from where i live.
haha it's not hipster bullshit.
I also go to the farmers market
it's not hipster bullshit.
farmers market
hipster bullshit.
farmers
haha
bullshit
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

haha in what universe do you live in where buying locally grown produce is seen as hipster?  I'm trying to do my part for the environment.  Meat production leaves a huge carbon footprint.  Buying locally grown products as much as possible cuts down on carbon emissions from the supply chain involved.  Not to mention, the produce is usually a lot more fresh and tasty.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6687

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

haha in what universe do you live in where buying locally grown produce is seen as hipster?  I'm trying to do my part for the environment.  Meat production leaves a huge carbon footprint.  Buying locally grown products as much as possible cuts down on carbon emissions from the supply chain involved.  Not to mention, the produce is usually a lot more fresh and tasty.
but coles and woolies tell me they get their stuff from the farmers m8. same shit innit.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6593|Little Bentcock
everyone gets everything from a farm, don't be fooled.
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6482|Gold Coast

Adams_BJ wrote:

Warman is a hermaphrodite.
I wonder what that guy is up to thesedays.
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
uziq
+492|3423
you should see the people at the local farmers' markets here in the cotswolds. definitely not hipsters mate. a lot of hemp and hunters.

Last edited by uziq (2016-01-12 04:05:10)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5329|London, England
Not hipster, yuppie. I kind of want to set up a stand at my local one. I'll buy from the supermarket, mark up 50% and plaster my booth with all the healthy natural wholesome organic buzzwords.

You live in California anyway. All food is basically local. Most of my food is freighted across the country from you guys.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

I suppose it's yuppie but I don't live in an urban area really.  OC is decidedly suburban.

I can more or less tell the difference in quality between the store bought produce.  There's more consistency in store-bought food.

Make sure you factor in the amount of time you are going to spend at that stand.  I don't think your venture would be very lucrative, as the markup is nowhere near 50% here.  Maybe an extra 20% if that.
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6444|6 6 4 oh, I forget

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

That's how it should be. Then there are these things that are really fucked up like this once example from over here. Fishermen get their nets full during the day. They end up iced in boxes. They are then flown to Asia(!) to be cut and processed, labeled and whatnot and then the fishies take the next flight back over here and are on the dinner table the very next day after they were picked up from the ocean. All this, because it's somehow cheaper to do all this than process the fish over here and send it to the market. This is wrong on so many levels.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

does anyone have any experience with hello fresh, blue apron, green chef or any of those subscription food services?  My first delivery comes tomorrow.  I'd like to know what the portion sizes are and if the food is high quality.
so the delivery came.  I got lucky in that i got the 3 (out of 6 possible) recipes that i wanted.  Looking at the box, everything is from the west coast - Canada, California and a surprising amount from Mexico.  I will keep everyone updated with regards to how the food turns out and an overall rating.

This one was from Hello Fresh.  Next week (or maybe the week after) I will be trying out Blue Apron.  I plan to review at least 4 of them.  You're welcome.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
I think my dad did a month long trial for something like that.
He leaves for work at 6am and gets home at 9pm and travels around the world 2 weeks out of the month so he said it would be great if it worked.

He said the recipes were fine and all, and the ingredients were of decent quality, but it was a little pricey and he missed picking what he wanted and even noticed he missed shopping sometimes. I supposed if there was a way to do it every 3rd month or something that would be alright.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

you can set up delivery schedules to match virtually any schedule.  Once a month, biweekly, etc. 

it is a little pricey (most of the services have half off/deep discounts for first timers), but there's a trade off with convenience and prep time.  I'm still undecided.  One overwhelming criticism that seems to be across the board is on the portion size. Everyone is saying the portions are small, and in some cases people add another side just to make a meal out of it.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Why not just do a bit of Googling, find out which service has the overall best reputation (assuming you've already done this), and set up further trial delivery periods from there. You can update us about the results in a yuppie services thread!
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
So that 19 year old I met does makeup and set design at some college in NYC. I am going to see if she is willing to get dressed up and go to comic con with me. I want to dressed as a black mage from final fantasy.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/_-3a_PULLdkA/TLP77bwW4EI/AAAAAAAABG0/gsr0PtelMYI/s1600/2.+black+mage+(not+orko).jpg
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3423
for fuck's sake
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6713|London

keep us updated mac

don't listen to uzique, he's a dream squasher
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6294|Graz, Austria

Jay wrote:

I kind of want to set up a stand at my local one. I'll buy from the supermarket, mark up 50% and plaster my booth with all the healthy natural wholesome organic buzzwords.
Didn't you actually grow something in your garden? In homemade raised beds?
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America

SuperJail Warden wrote:

So that 19 year old I met does makeup and set design at some college in NYC. I am going to see if she is willing to get dressed up and go to comic con with me. I want to dressed as a black mage from final fantasy.

Is she into nerd shit or are you just asking that out of the clear blue?
jsnipy
+3,276|6493|...

SuperJail Warden wrote:

maybe be can be rosa
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6713|London

acquired some powerballs

6, 16, 42, 47, 56 - 1
34, 35, 47, 54, 59 - 8
32, 44, 52, 54. 59 - 9
16, 30, 32, 55, 58 - 20

if I win you guys can have like $1000
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
pirana6