KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

cantonese speaker with xiao ji ji?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Some of the high end chinese (mandarin?) with lots of zzhhh and rrrr sounds and not so much of the screeching is quite nice to listen to.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

Dilbert_X wrote:

Some of the high end chinese (mandarin?) with lots of zzhhh and rrrr sounds and not so much of the screeching is quite nice to listen to.
regional accents. beijing has a lot of 'rolling tongue' sounds.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Great, so I need to specify Beijing when I order my wife.
uziq
+492|3422

Dilbert_X wrote:

high-end chinese? you mean high-end restaurants or high-end accents?

don't know much about the regional politics or the social stratification, but my girl from hong-kong speaks cantonese as far as i know, and they look down on almost everyone from the mainland – beijing and shanghai alike. but it's just the way they laugh in terms of the mannerism... it's like a full-blown, slightly nasal cackle. christ it kills me.

what you have to appreciate is that all of these things are completely culturally coded, and historically mediated... even things like smiling, posture, laughing, etc. all have a long history in the west/europe and are carefully constructed as to what is 'attractive' and what is 'inappropriate'. at different times in history it has been considered inappropriate or unattractive for a woman to smile or laugh (part of the enduring attraction of the mona lisa as an example of renaissance portraiture is that, before that, subjects never looked directly 'at' the observer and never smiled). so hearing a laugh that may as well be from another planet can be extremely disorienting. especially if you're a home-grown wholegrain white-boi like me. i'm used to 'modest' european laughs or 'classy' girl tittering, or whatever.

Last edited by uziq (2016-01-12 04:03:01)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

Last edited by Jay (2016-01-12 05:04:17)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
MajorSpittle
+7|3061|Oregun
Picked up my laundry and it was so clean and soft. 

I tipped them a 5 already but felt compelled to show my appreciation in this thead also.
uziq
+492|3422
in a few hundred years we'll be doing their laundry, that's the beauty of it.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

no no you have it all wrong.  In a few hundred years, they will be wearing white people's skin as their clothes.  We will BE their laundry
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
In a few hundred years the planet will be warm enough to do away with clothes. Hopefully soon because winter just started and I'm already done with it!
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3422
imagining jay naked just ruined my week
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

it's like star wars. Uzi is luke and jay is the tauntaun.
uziq
+492|3422
i haven't seen star wars
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

it was in the first one (number 4).  Luke crawls into the belly of the beast
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

uziq wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

high-end chinese? you mean high-end restaurants or high-end accents?

don't know much about the regional politics or the social stratification, but my girl from hong-kong speaks cantonese as far as i know, and they look down on almost everyone from the mainland – beijing and shanghai alike. but it's just the way they laugh in terms of the mannerism... it's like a full-blown, slightly nasal cackle. christ it kills me.

what you have to appreciate is that all of these things are completely culturally coded, and historically mediated... even things like smiling, posture, laughing, etc. all have a long history in the west/europe and are carefully constructed as to what is 'attractive' and what is 'inappropriate'. at different times in history it has been considered inappropriate or unattractive for a woman to smile or laugh (part of the enduring attraction of the mona lisa as an example of renaissance portraiture is that, before that, subjects never looked directly 'at' the observer and never smiled). so hearing a laugh that may as well be from another planet can be extremely disorienting. especially if you're a home-grown wholegrain white-boi like me. i'm used to 'modest' european laughs or 'classy' girl tittering, or whatever.
'Proper' or formal Chinese is a bit of a beijing accent

Kevin Rudd is one of the best examples of 'proper' chinese.

It's a bit like 'queens' english if you will, but the plebs in beijing speak it with a stronger 'rolling r'.

People from HK and Taiwan look down upon mainlanders as essentially 'cashed up bogans' or 'rich hicks' since a lot of them got really rich really fast yet have 0 class. There's tons of news about mainlanders causing a ruckus in HK either shitting on the street or straight up murdering people in a jewllery store.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

it was the 2nd one you dunce.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

haha fair enough
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America

pirana6 wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Thank fuck for that, pirana. Honestly, KENNINGS, I expected better of you.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

How do you know the proper name of Luke's Snow Kangaroo but don't know which movie it was in?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Cybargs wrote:

'Proper' or formal Chinese is a bit of a beijing accent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bro4mkb_VKcp

Kevin Rudd is one of the best examples of 'proper' chinese.

It's a bit like 'queens' english if you will, but the plebs in beijing speak it with a stronger 'rolling r'.
I think that's it, the intro to this is sort of close to what I'm thinking of.

People from HK and Taiwan look down upon mainlanders as essentially 'cashed up bogans' or 'rich hicks' since a lot of them got really rich really fast yet have 0 class. There's tons of news about mainlanders causing a ruckus in HK either shitting on the street or straight up murdering people in a jewllery store.
Which is funny because the British taught them everything they know.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2016-01-13 03:00:01)

uziq
+492|3422
makes perfect sense she's in love with me then. i am brit overlord.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
The battle on hoth was always one of my favorite scenes in the series
-Frederick Bastiat
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6443|6 6 4 oh, I forget

DesertFox- wrote:

pirana6 wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Thank fuck for that, pirana. Honestly, KENNINGS, I expected better of you.
FFS! It was Han Solo who put him in there.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I had a dream last night where I was in the Philippines last night. I was trying to get a second wife and avoid the U.S. drones.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
https://i.imgur.com/5drwYXy.jpg

She seems creative.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard