SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
An anti-animal cruelty group says it has secretly recorded Tyson Foods workers punching, throwing and pulling the heads off of live broiler chickens at one of the mega meat producer's plants in Mississippi where up to 2.5 million chickens are slaughtered each week.

Vandhana Bala, a lawyer for the group Mercy for Animals, which showed video of the alleged animal cruelty to USA TODAY, said the group filed affidavits in Leake County, Miss. Justice Court on Tuesday alleging misdemeanor animal cruelty by the Springdale, Ark.-headquartered Tyson and six slaughterhouse workers.

The video appears to capture footage of workers on the floor of the slaughterhouse jabbing shackled birds like they were punching bags and tossing birds toward metal shackles like basketballs.

The hidden-camera video, which was taken by a member of Mercy who was hired by Tyson's to work at the company's Carthage, Miss. plant, also appears to show an improperly shackled chicken missing the kill blade and having its head ripped off by a slaughterhouse worker. The group also alleges that chickens were dumped on top of each other on a conveyor belt, causing many to suffocate and die under the weight of other birds.
http://www.kcentv.com/story/30368590/ac … en-factory

Poor birds.

Too often when these stories pop up the workers themselves or individual farms get tossed under the bus by the large meat corporation. But this problem is largely caused by the industry and America's demand for cheap meat.

Workers are often paid minimum wage or are illegal immigrants getting paid below minimum wage. They are then given quotas to meet or face punishment so cutting corners and cruelty become institutionalized. Maybe better worker treatment combined with laws improving the standards of the animals life before slaughter will create a industry less prone to turning their workers into animals.

Of course this will result in higher prices for meat products in the U.S. That may not be a bad thing considering America's obesity epidemic. Our portions are too large. So people having to spend more money for their oversized food will force people to cut down on their consumption. Lower obesity will help our healthcare system also.

The only snag in this plan is what will happen to food insecure people who rely on cheap meat sold in fast food places. Perhaps the higher cost of meat will force fast food places to find plant based alternatives to their double whoppers with bacon. This is a major hurdle.

What do you think?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England
Dude, shut the fuck up already
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
No one is forcing you to read and the section would otherwise be dead. Stop whining and go eat a cheeseburger.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Do you even understand why wages have become an issue?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Factory farming in the developing world drove down wages by increasing the supply of meat produced using very low wage labor.

Anyway, the price of food going up would have positive health effects.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
The reason you’ve been reading about wages in the news recently is because Keynesian economists are at their wits end. Basically every central bank in the world reads from the same manual when they make policy. Prices falling? Lower interest rates. Prices still not rising? Perform quantitative easing. The idea being that by devaluing your currency, you export your deflation to your trading partners.

Well, all of our trading partners have zero or negative interest rates. They’re all printing money. All of them are doing this because the book says it will jump-start their economy and growth will follow. This is what their economic models say will work.

The problem is that real life is not co-operating. The money that is flowing out of the central banks is not being invested as planned. The low interest rates are being used to fund stock buybacks and corporate takeovers rather than investment in new production. The buybacks enrich shareholders who already have more wealth than growth options, and the takeovers lead to efficiencies and job losses. On top of this, you have companies like Wal-Mart and Amazon who generate their income based on volume sales and low prices.

Krugman went on a rampage against Wal-Mart about their wages to the point that Wal-Mart gave up and gave their low-level employees a raise. Well, instead of raising prices like Krugman really wanted, they squeezed savings from their suppliers and cut a bunch of people at the corporate headquarters in Arkansas.

To understand all this, you have to look at the world through the eyes of a Keynesian economist. To them, all assets should be 100% invested in the economy at all times. Everything is always about GDP growth. All spending is good. You’re going to start reading more articles about cashless societies and negative interest rates at the bank because they view saving as a threat to GDP. Any money sequestered away from the economy is money that isn’t being spent, and money that isn’t being spent isn’t adding to GDP. This is also why they bash gold whenever possible.

The last piece of the puzzle is that consumers have changed in the past ten years. People have become a lot more careful about racking up a ton of debt, especially now that credit cards have spiked from 7% interest rates to 20%+. Millenials aren’t buying houses because the Fed decided keeping the housing bubble inflated was the most important thing it could do because so many baby boomer’s entire net worth and retirement savings is built into their home equity. They’re also not buying houses because easy credit allowed colleges to jack up tuition astronomically and they’re carrying trillions of dollars as a collective.

Our previous growth was fueled by debt. Government debt, private debt, corporate debt. Does this seem sustainable? Because this is the official policy for every government in the world right now because, again, they all read from the same fucking book.

Low wage growth is a symptom of low growth, not a cause, but Keynesian economists are now at the point where they are going to start advocating for “helicopter money” i.e. tax rebate checks and a national living wage and pay increases via fiat a la Cuomo and fast food workers. These opinions will make progressives and leftists swoon, because they’ll think they’ll have won a prize, but it’s just more economic meddling by people who really can’t handle a world that doesn’t conform to their models.

Frankly, we are SUPPOSED to be entering a period of low growth. We have tens of millions of people lining up to retire with nest egg in hand. They’ve got their pension and their social security and their 401k and their overpriced home and they’re ready to go. They’re not taking any risks and they’re certainly not investing in the future anymore. After a lifetime of work the baby boomer generation controls the wealth in this country, not some phantom 1%. Give it 10-15-20 years, the economy will pick up again as they start dying off. I guarantee it.

Last edited by Jay (2015-10-29 09:32:11)

-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689

Jay wrote:

The reason you’ve been reading about wages in the news recently is because Keynesian economists are at their wits end. Basically every central bank in the world reads from the same manual when they make policy. Prices falling? Lower interest rates. Prices still not rising? Perform quantitative easing. The idea being that by devaluing your currency, you export your deflation to your trading partners.

Well, all of our trading partners have zero or negative interest rates. They’re all printing money. All of them are doing this because the book says it will jump-start their economy and growth will follow. This is what their economic models say will work.

The problem is that real life is not co-operating. The money that is flowing out of the central banks is not being invested as planned. The low interest rates are being used to fund stock buybacks and corporate takeovers rather than investment in new production. The buybacks enrich shareholders who already have more wealth than growth options, and the takeovers lead to efficiencies and job losses. On top of this, you have companies like Wal-Mart and Amazon who generate their income based on volume sales and low prices.

Krugman went on a rampage against Wal-Mart about their wages to the point that Wal-Mart gave up and gave their low-level employees a raise. Well, instead of raising prices like Krugman really wanted, they squeezed savings from their suppliers and cut a bunch of people at the corporate headquarters in Arkansas.

To understand all this, you have to look at the world through the eyes of a Keynesian economist. To them, all assets should be 100% invested in the economy at all times. Everything is always about GDP growth. All spending is good. You’re going to start reading more articles about cashless societies and negative interest rates at the bank because they view saving as a threat to GDP. Any money sequestered away from the economy is money that isn’t being spent, and money that isn’t being spent isn’t adding to GDP. This is also why they bash gold whenever possible.

The last piece of the puzzle is that consumers have changed in the past ten years. People have become a lot more careful about racking up a ton of debt, especially now that credit cards have spiked from 7% interest rates to 20%+. Millenials aren’t buying houses because the Fed decided keeping the housing bubble inflated was the most important thing it could do because so many baby boomer’s entire net worth and retirement savings is built into their home equity. They’re also not buying houses because easy credit allowed colleges to jack up tuition astronomically and they’re carrying trillions of dollars as a collective.

Our previous growth was fueled by debt. Government debt, private debt, corporate debt. Does this seem sustainable? Because this is the official policy for every government in the world right now because, again, they all read from the same fucking book.

Low wage growth is a symptom of low growth, not a cause, but Keynesian economists are now at the point where they are going to start advocating for “helicopter money” i.e. tax rebate checks and a national living wage and pay increases via fiat a la Cuomo and fast food workers. These opinions will make progressives and leftists swoon, because they’ll think they’ll have won a prize, but it’s just more economic meddling by people who really can’t handle a world that doesn’t conform to their models.

Frankly, we are SUPPOSED to be entering a period of low growth. We have tens of millions of people lining up to retire with nest egg in hand. They’ve got their pension and their social security and their 401k and their overpriced home and they’re ready to go. They’re not taking any risks and they’re certainly not investing in the future anymore. After a lifetime of work the baby boomer generation controls the wealth in this country, not some phantom 1%. Give it 10-15-20 years, the economy will pick up again as they start dying off. I guarantee it.
https://i.imgur.com/HnV8bNj.gif
I am trying to talk about industrial scale animal cruelty and health effects of meat.

Stay on topic.
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

Thanks for setting us straight Jay
MAGUIRE93
High Angle Hell
+182|6164|Schofield Barracks
#ChickenLivesMatter
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I am trying to talk about industrial scale animal cruelty and health effects of meat.
No, you're not. If you were, you'd be talking about nutrition articles and linking to undercover snuff film from carnal torture houses factory farms. Did you even read your OP.

There is no shortage of material, nor are companies that operate like this particularly unique. It's not even new news by a long shot, nor is it limited to farming.

We Evolved To Eat Meat, But How Much Is Too Much?
Put Down That Steak: You're Eating Too Much Protein
The Protein Myth: Why You Need Less Protein Than You Think
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
https://www.quickmeme.com/img/f3/f3879285e34d7698f4db5e130f19f22bebb92d667fa30feaadd4ddad3a9f9f3c.jpg

https://i.qkme.me/BsA.jpg
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Steve-0
Karma limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+214|3930|SL,UT

wow, first relevant dilbert post. well done! (i'm sure dilbo likes his meat well done. too bad that will never happen . . .)
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

What snarky, anti-vegetarian philosoraptors have to do with extant industrialized animal abuse, the state of workers in the farming business, or whether or not people eat more meat than is strictly healthy is beyond me. But I see a lot of it from the reactionary bacon crowd.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Eating any meat is cruel, eating any meat is unhealthy, I am vegetarian.

So there.
Steve-0
Karma limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+214|3930|SL,UT

Dilbert_X wrote:

Eating any meat is cruel, eating any meat is unhealthy, I am vegetarian.

So there.
you are flaccid, no doubt.

i''m currently eating a pot roast.

my life > your life, teeny weenie . . .
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

so wait, meat a weanie bigger it makes?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
It makes you old, that's for sure

Also, do we really need to examine whose life sucks the most, mine or Burnzz?
If so I'll make a poll.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard