Pocshy2.0
+23|3367

Ultrafunkula wrote:

Sweet dude! I'm still collecting the 'yes, but no' replies. Gotta hope I get a new job soon. This service desk crap is boring and doesn't evolve me in any way anymore.
I did the networking grind for almost 4 months. Not fun at all meeting 1-2 people a week, sending countless emails to usually tenuously known people, and often getting the simple response "I'll keep an eye out for you." It paid off though. I ended up finding this position through a contact and snagged it before it went to a public competition. My point is this: 95% of your effort is going to lead you nowhere, but that 5% that does more than makes up for the disappointment. It'll come with time.
Pocshy2.0
+23|3367
So the contract and hiring documents came in from HR today, and before I've even started I've been given a raise over what I was quoted in the verbal offer. Apparently because I am replacing a former full-time regular worker as a full-time contract worker, my pay is pegged to what that position used to pay under union rules. I'll take it.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6713|Riva, MD
Damn I wish labworkers could unionize.  I've been told they fire anybody who thinks about it at my job.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6680|United States of America
I wish pharmaceutical workers weren't allowed to unionize. It's hard enough trying to run a cGMP production area when you've now got people who have loyalties other than to the product.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6677|Disaster Free Zone

_j5689_ wrote:

Damn I wish labworkers could unionize.  I've been told they fire anybody who thinks about it at my job.
Isn't the ability to unionize protected? and wouldn't firing people for doing so be considered unlawful dismissal too?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5354|London, England

DrunkFace wrote:

_j5689_ wrote:

Isn't the ability to unionize protected? and wouldn't firing people for doing so be considered unlawful dismissal too?
In his state, yes
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6713|Riva, MD
Probably just a lack of effort or know-how on somebody's part then.  This job underpays like crazy and they think they own people, constantly scheduling them on what would normally be their days off or cutting staff short on certain days to allocate them elsewhere to fill in for spots of people that quit and telling everybody else in their department they have to stay longer to finish all the work(which could mean 2 to 3 hours longer usually).  Vacation time also doesn't rollover or pay out, it's use it or lose it.

Maybe that's not even stuff a union could solve, my manager is just super manipulative and drags her feet when she has to hire people.  Of the 50 or so other branches in our company throughout the U.S., we have the highest turnover of any lab so it's fairly frequent that this happens and then everybody else is made to feel the stress of being understaffed.  Overall shithole tbh, management has nothing to keep them in check
DesertFox-

_j5689_ wrote:

Probably just a lack of effort or know-how on somebody's part then.  This job underpays like crazy and they think they own people, constantly scheduling them on what would normally be their days off or cutting staff short on certain days to allocate them elsewhere to fill in for spots of people that quit and telling everybody else in their department they have to stay longer to finish all the work(which could mean 2 to 3 hours longer usually).  Vacation time also doesn't rollover or pay out, it's use it or lose it.

Maybe that's not even stuff a union could solve, my manager is just super manipulative and drags her feet when she has to hire people.  Of the 50 or so other branches in our company throughout the U.S., we have the highest turnover of any lab so it's fairly frequent that this happens and then everybody else is made to feel the stress of being understaffed.  Overall shithole tbh, management has nothing to keep them in check
You making like $12/hr? That's what a lot of the lab jobs paid that I saw when I was looking for work. Luckily I managed not to get any of them and when I did get work, it paid well enough that I could live with it.
Steve-0
Karma limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+214|3956|SL,UT

https://i.imgur.com/arVtGWl.jpg
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6713|Riva, MD

DesertFox- wrote:

_j5689_ wrote:

You making like $12/hr? That's what a lot of the lab jobs paid that I saw when I was looking for work. Luckily I managed not to get any of them and when I did get work, it paid well enough that I could live with it.
$15.67 an hour with the $3 night shift differential and my 3% raises over the past two years.  I think I make the least of any of my coworkers though, I negotiated so low on my application just to finally have a job.  I assume it would at least be enough to pay rent but I'm afraid to try so I'm just gonna save up while probably getting some IT certs to switch into that
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6286|Washington St.
15.67 is a shit ton more than I was making before I went into IT
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5784|Catherine Black
I make £6.70/hr. Just got raised this month from £6.50.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5354|London, England
I was making $13/hour to sit in a dock house and occasionally drive people out to their moored boats
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6677|Disaster Free Zone
I was making $21/hr when I was 18 stacking shelves at the local supermarket. And over $33 an hr on Sundays.
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6308

Pocshy2.0 wrote:

Just accepted a job offer from the Government of Ontario for a Senior Consultant role. I'll be working in disaster relief funding. Drinks to follow.
If it was federal and not provincial, I would say they hired you to clean up after the shitstorm that is about to be the election

Congrats either way!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6102|eXtreme to the maX
I once made $1,000 for about 3 hours work.

It wasn't prostitution.

It did get a guy acquitted and the Director of Public Prosecutions fired - although that bit didn't make the news.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Solidworks 2016 is configured to work with OS scalability for 4k monitors.

Yay.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6712

Dilbert_X wrote:

I once made $1,000 for about 3 hours work.

It wasn't prostitution.

It did get a guy acquitted and the Director of Public Prosecutions fired - although that bit didn't make the news.
fucking wat. you got the DPP to resign it's gotta make the news in the legal world. lawyers are like gossip queens.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
uziq
+492|3448
met Clive James and les Murray. got books signed. had a coffee with them. working in publishing and having a house on the same square as one of the best literature festivals is great.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3715
What kind of coffee did you drink?
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

uziq wrote:

...working in publishing ...
Wait a minute, I thought you did some useless hipster degree?
DesertFox-

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

He did like English or literature or English literature or something iirc. Not exactly a majorly popular choice, but shirtainly not useless.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6628|949

Imagine that, an Eng Lit major working in publishing.  Who would have thought?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

DesertFox- wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

uziq wrote:

He did like English or literature or English literature or something iirc.
That's what I thought.
uziq
+492|3448
https://i.imgur.com/QRup4nT.jpg

Last edited by uziq (2015-10-13 11:05:14)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard