uziq
+492|3451
a democracy where all are equal before the law and everyone has equal rights.

a democracy where you can get 'get out of jail free' cards and the next presidential election is being contested between two super-rich political dynasties.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6736|Oxferd Ohire
multiple police friends
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6654

Let's fire-bomb Wall Street.

Hi, NSA.
Pocshy2.0
+23|3370
Another good interview today. Now the week long wait to see if I can be an obsequious scrivener begins.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719

mtb0minime wrote:

Let's fire-bomb Wall Street.

Hi, NSA.

Pocshy2.0 wrote:

Another good interview today. Now the week long wait to see if I can be an obsequious scrivener begins.
Good luck. Hope you get the job, dude. If you don't, you should launch an assault on wall street.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Pocshy2.0
+23|3370

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Pocshy2.0 wrote:

Good luck. Hope you get the job, dude. If you don't, you should launch an assault on wall street.
Thanks Mac. I'll consider becoming an anarchist is this career path doesn't pan out.
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6648
Got a promotion. Go me woohooo.
uziq
+492|3451
just got made assistant editor of the history imprint at my publishing firm. which further means that my PhD funding application this fall will be boosted immensely. schmoozing with the literary elite, that's me.
Pocshy2.0
+23|3370

uziq wrote:

just got made assistant editor of the history imprint at my publishing firm. which further means that my PhD funding application this fall will be boosted immensely. schmoozing with the literary elite, that's me.
Where will you be applying to undertake the PhD? As I understand it, the UK graduate school scheme requires you to show proof of funding for the duration of your course prior to your full acceptance. I suppose where you plan to attend will be contingent on who decides to offer partial or full funding as a result?

Congrats on the promotion, too.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

You don't need proof of funding for the duration of your course prior to acceptance as far as I know. A friend recently dropped out of a PhD program at Cambridge due in some part to lack of funding (the other part was an ongoing addiction to opiates).

But I could be wrong, I don't know much about the structure there, just my friend's experience.
uziq
+492|3451

Pocshy2.0 wrote:

uziq wrote:

Where will you be applying to undertake the PhD? As I understand it, the UK graduate school scheme requires you to show proof of funding for the duration of your course prior to your full acceptance. I suppose where you plan to attend will be contingent on who decides to offer partial or full funding as a result?

i got accepted to univ college oxford 2 years ago, had a supervisor, PhD thesis accepted. didn't get funding (2011-2012 onwards was particularly brutal for funding reorganisation and cuts in the UK). basically you can get funding either from the institution itself (or in oxbridge's case, from individual colleges), or from centralised research councils. these have been cut to shreds though in the UK and made contingent upon all sorts of specious, extra-academic meddling, for e.g. one of the major considerations for funding applications now is 'impact'. impact is a politically charged term for 'how is this relevant to the purse-holders' interests'. i know the engineers of bf2s will pipe up with their job-spec mentality and say 'very well!' but the whole point of academic research is it's kinda supposed to be disinterested and free-thinking. that's how really great ideas and inventions crop up.

but anyway, the funding situation is a nightmare. yes, oxford did ask me to promise something insane like the ability to pay £11k a year, and they wanted the bank statements and guarantees for (3-4) years of this in advance. i'm from a well-off family but i hardly felt like getting a £30k IOU from my parents. not to mention the fact that academia is so hideously competitive and cut-throat (see U.S. tenure system passim) that self-funding is essentially financial AND career suicide.

for myself, next year i'll be reapplying to oxford with the same guy again who green lighted me last time, tweaking my funding application to hopefully nail that formula. i'll also apply to UCL, which is the biggest and most well-funded (not to mention prestigious) college of the university of london. i was accepted there for my master's originally but declined because i had a full scholarship offer on the table. scholarships and funding are supposed to snowball, it's a bit like informal patronage or favouritism. once you get one you tend to accrue awards and stipends more and more easily. you kind of gain momentum.

PM me if you're interested in UK postgrad at all.

Last edited by uziq (2015-08-27 11:28:58)

Pocshy2.0
+23|3370
Uzique and me replied at the same time. This part is to KEN:

I might be wrong. I just remember a conversation I had with a friend who was going to Oxford for an Archeology Masters, and I think she was worried her funding wouldn't come through and she would lose her course spot as a result. I might have put together the puzzle pieces wrong on that one.

Uzique:

Best of luck with the Oxford application. We have similar 'impact based funding' reqs here, but there are some loopholes for the humanities that make it slightly more bearable. You're spot on with the 'self-fund as double suicide' mentality; nobody worth their salt pays fully out-of-pocket for a PhD. It just shows to academics that you don't carry enough weight to have a large org or council backing your research.

As for my own academic aspirations, I really would like to find the time to do a Masters in English Lit (Modern Poetry focus), but it seems less and less likely as A.) my GF is entirely opposed to me taking a year or two off and reading books and B.) once I get the career thing started, finding the time without leaving hideous 'worthless' activity gaps is problematic. But, maybe. I'll keep your calling card.

Last edited by Pocshy2.0 (2015-08-27 11:51:37)

uziq
+492|3451

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

You don't need proof of funding for the duration of your course prior to acceptance as far as I know. A friend recently dropped out of a PhD program at Cambridge due in some part to lack of funding (the other part was an ongoing addiction to opiates).

But I could be wrong, I don't know much about the structure there, just my friend's experience.
you do have to produce a 'means to pay' proof before you accept enrolment. for one/two year taught masters as well as full PhDs. every college has a separate application system but it's university wide policy. people dropping out of much vaunted positions is the last thing they want. everyone loses time and money.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6631|949

uziq wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

you do have to produce a 'means to pay' proof before you accept enrolment. for one/two year taught masters as well as full PhDs. every college has a separate application system but it's university wide policy. people dropping out of much vaunted positions is the last thing they want. everyone loses time and money.
I know her dad sold one of the buildings he owned in anticipation of her getting accepted in order to pay for her schooling, but after she developed a pretty severe addiction to opiates her dad (rightly) pulled it out from under her.  So i guess she may have shown proof of the ability to pay for it but in the end it wasn't like it was sitting in an escrow account solely allocated to pay for her to study and pop oxy.
uziq
+492|3451

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

uziq wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I know her dad sold one of the buildings he owned in anticipation of her getting accepted in order to pay for her schooling, but after she developed a pretty severe addiction to opiates her dad (rightly) pulled it out from under her.  So i guess she may have shown proof of the ability to pay for it but in the end it wasn't like it was sitting in an escrow account solely allocated to pay for her to study and pop oxy.
they pretty much just want to see some form of guarantee that you have the liquid funds readily available to pay for all your shit. especially with international students, paying an increased fee, i don't imagine they would let anyone in to take a place without solid evidence they had a means to pay for their course of tuition/board.
uziq
+492|3451

Pocshy2.0 wrote:

As for my own academic aspirations, I really would like to find the time to do a Masters in English Lit (Modern Poetry focus), but it seems less and less likely as A.) my GF is entirely opposed to me taking a year or two off and reading books and B.) once I get the career thing started, finding the time without leaving hideous 'worthless' activity gaps is problematic. But, maybe. I'll keep your calling card.
realistically what are your chances of being with that girl in 20 years time? because i can give you a 100% chance of having that regret to keep you company.
Pocshy2.0
+23|3370

uziq wrote:

Pocshy2.0 wrote:

realistically what are your chances of being with that girl in 20 years time? because i can give you a 100% chance of having that regret to keep you company.
Every month it seems increasingly likely. Not to sound too overly love-struck or anything, but I've been with her for 5 years (6 coming up in a few months) and have never once questioned greener pastures or felt I wasn't fulfilled. In those 5 years I've never had more than a purely academic fight with her that lasted more than an hour and ended with no hurt feelings whatsoever.

With that said, it's not that she's saying 'no'. I can do it. I can totally take the year or two and she would for-sure support me both in word and deed. But I know well enough that as a couple I don't make decisions best for myself, but for both of us. So I choose not to follow a dream she doesn't share.

EDIT- I think the right move for me is to find a way to locate both my work and studies in the same city, and to really bear the brunt of an ass fucking when I get home from work and have to put in the academic work. I really don't want a 3rd degree from University of Toronto (I've bored myself), so I'd have to plan all of this a few years in advance.

Last edited by Pocshy2.0 (2015-08-27 12:34:45)

uziq
+492|3451
sounds good, i wish you way luck. it is hard to juggle academia with 'real life', increasingly so. it's a lot of time to take out away from saving for your house/starting a family. i've been waylaid for a few years now, what with funding and then my brother's passing and all, so at this stage i'm determined to finally do it with a sort of grim tenacity.

Last edited by uziq (2015-08-27 12:40:05)

Pocshy2.0
+23|3370

uziq wrote:

sounds good, i wish you way luck. it is hard to juggle academia with 'real life', increasingly so. it's a lot of time to take out away from saving for your house/starting a family. i've been waylaid for a few years now, what with funding and then my brother's passing and all, so at this stage i'm determined to finally do it with a sort of grim tenacity.
The right time never comes, the right time is always when you clench your jaw and do it.

Sorry to hear about your brother. I think that's a story you haven't shared (and I'm not necessarily prompting you to do so now), but I can understand how that particular shit-storm would mess with a guy's plans.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England

uziq wrote:

Pocshy2.0 wrote:

uziq wrote:

i got accepted to univ college oxford 2 years ago, had a supervisor, PhD thesis accepted. didn't get funding (2011-2012 onwards was particularly brutal for funding reorganisation and cuts in the UK). basically you can get funding either from the institution itself (or in oxbridge's case, from individual colleges), or from centralised research councils. these have been cut to shreds though in the UK and made contingent upon all sorts of specious, extra-academic meddling, for e.g. one of the major considerations for funding applications now is 'impact'. impact is a politically charged term for 'how is this relevant to the purse-holders' interests'. i know the engineers of bf2s will pipe up with their job-spec mentality and say 'very well!' but the whole point of academic research is it's kinda supposed to be disinterested and free-thinking. that's how really great ideas and inventions crop up.

but anyway, the funding situation is a nightmare. yes, oxford did ask me to promise something insane like the ability to pay £11k a year, and they wanted the bank statements and guarantees for (3-4) years of this in advance. i'm from a well-off family but i hardly felt like getting a £30k IOU from my parents. not to mention the fact that academia is so hideously competitive and cut-throat (see U.S. tenure system passim) that self-funding is essentially financial AND career suicide.

for myself, next year i'll be reapplying to oxford with the same guy again who green lighted me last time, tweaking my funding application to hopefully nail that formula. i'll also apply to UCL, which is the biggest and most well-funded (not to mention prestigious) college of the university of london. i was accepted there for my master's originally but declined because i had a full scholarship offer on the table. scholarships and funding are supposed to snowball, it's a bit like informal patronage or favouritism. once you get one you tend to accrue awards and stipends more and more easily. you kind of gain momentum.

11k a year is peanuts

Also, very well!

Last edited by Jay (2015-08-27 12:52:01)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3719
I got accepted into the local Catholic university to do a Masters degree in education. It's $60,000 for a two year program. No thanks.

Congratulations Uzi. You didn't tell me you were in the history department of your publishing group. Very jealous.

Last edited by SuperJail Warden (2015-08-27 13:57:33)

https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3451

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

Pocshy2.0 wrote:

11k a year is peanuts

Also, very well!
£11k a year is a SUPER conservative baseline estimate. i.e. not even connected to fiscal reality. just the figure their department dreamed up to satisfy some 'minimum living standard' worked out by a focus group somewhere. oxford and cambridge are two of the most expensive property/rental markets in the UK – for obvious reasons, constant stream of international renters coming and going – and so it's more like £20k a year. that's pretty much how much it costs to live in london with a similar student lifestyle. so then 3-4 years of that. not many PhD applicants at age 21-25 have £50,000 sitting in a bank account somewhere to show to the admissions office. and, don't bullshit, neither did you when you were floundering around in your 20's without a clue what to do. i'm sure £11k a year is peanuts to someone in mid-30's, mid-career. and i know it's peanuts compared to ivy league tuition but, then again, ivy league has massive financial assistance and funding is so easy to get in comparison to the strict and limited UK system.

anyway thanks guiz. very heart-warming. it's good to see you all doing so well.

pochsy i did share the story when i first came back to this forum. thanks too. tl;dr i have a 19 year old brother in a coma after being the passenger in a quite literally horrific off-road land rover accident. ain't ever gonna wake up. seeing that 3-4 times a week i couldn't really think straight enough to make my assault on the pinnacles of the ivory tower.

Last edited by uziq (2015-08-27 14:31:37)

uziq
+492|3451

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I got accepted into the local Catholic university to do a Masters degree in education. It's $60,000 for a two year program. No thanks.

Congratulations Uzi. You didn't tell me you were in the history department of your publishing group. Very jealous.
that really sucks dude. master's are the hardest hop to gain funding for. at least in the U.S. you can drop out of a PhD program A.B.D. and gain a master's. we don't have that 1-2 year coursework section of our PhD's over here. either you produce the finished goods or you get nothin'.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5357|London, England

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

11k a year is peanuts

Also, very well!
£11k a year is a SUPER conservative baseline estimate. i.e. not even connected to fiscal reality. just the figure their department dreamed up to satisfy some 'minimum living standard' worked out by a focus group somewhere. oxford and cambridge are two of the most expensive property/rental markets in the UK – for obvious reasons, constant stream of international renters coming and going – and so it's more like £20k a year. that's pretty much how much it costs to live in london with a similar student lifestyle. so then 3-4 years of that. not many PhD applicants at age 21-25 have £50,000 sitting in a bank account somewhere to show to the admissions office. and, don't bullshit, neither did you when you were floundering around in your 20's without a clue what to do. i'm sure £11k a year is peanuts to someone in mid-30's, mid-career. and i know it's peanuts compared to ivy league tuition but, then again, ivy league has massive financial assistance and funding is so easy to get in comparison to the strict and limited UK system.

pochsy i did share the story when i first came back to this forum. thanks too. tl;dr i have a 19 year old brother in a coma after being the passenger in a quite literally horrific off-road land rover accident. ain't ever gonna wake up. seeing that 3-4 times a week i couldn't really think straight enough to make my assault on the pinnacles of the ivory tower.
Government sponsored student loans flow like water 'round here, hence state college tuition being over 17k a year here in New York now for undergrad. It's hard to sympathize when American students get raped on the regular.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6684|United States of America

Jay wrote:

uziq wrote:

Jay wrote:

11k a year is peanuts

Also, very well!

Government sponsored student loans flow like water 'round here, hence state college tuition being over 17k a year here in New York now for undergrad. It's hard to sympathize when American students get raped on the regular.
It does get different for the postgraduate level, though. I know for certain at least one of my friends came out in the black on his Masters.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard