Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6466|6 6 4 oh, I forget

"Thank you for your application. We have now reviewed blaa blaa blaa blaa blaa."

Fuck.

Meh. Back to the job board. Need to get out of this service desk hell hole. Pronto.
Pocshy2.0
+23|3363

Ultrafunkula wrote:

"Thank you for your application. We have now reviewed blaa blaa blaa blaa blaa."

Fuck.

Meh. Back to the job board. Need to get out of this service desk hell hole. Pronto.
Dude, at least you get rejection emails. Usually I just send my Cover+CV into a blackhole never to hear back again. Shit, I even had a job interview that just never called back. 4 weeks later and they're still not handing out rejections, despite having told me to my face that I would "hear back, good or bad, within 2 weeks."
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712
You won't need a job once the proletariat revolution starts now that the Chinese stock market crashed, comrades.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3444
but the chinese stock market was the stock market of the proletariat
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6734|London

Dilbert_X wrote:

Dauntless wrote:

Got caught doing 72mph in a 40 a few months ago and have to go to court tomorrow to find out what they're gonna do with me
nah 6 points and £850 fine which is about the minimum they could've given. so not too bad I guess

wore a good suit in the end but almost every other person in there was some chav in a tracksuit, dunno if it made any difference...
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6734|London

uziq wrote:

drive the fiat punto to the court-room imo
The only punto round here is the punto I'm gonna give you up the arseo mate.
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708

Dauntless wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Dauntless wrote:

Got caught doing 72mph in a 40 a few months ago and have to go to court tomorrow to find out what they're gonna do with me
nah 6 points and £850 fine which is about the minimum they could've given. so not too bad I guess

wore a good suit in the end but almost every other person in there was some chav in a tracksuit, dunno if it made any difference...
at least you were presentable in court. shows respect.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712
Unless you ran someone over, a button down and pants is good enough for traffic court. Last time I went, I wore a polo. Talked my way out of that ticket even though I was in the wrong 100%
Ultrafunkula

Pocshy2.0 wrote:

Ultrafunkula wrote:

Fuck.

Dude, at least you get rejection emails. Usually I just send my Cover+CV into a blackhole never to hear back again. Shit, I even had a job interview that just never called back. 4 weeks later and they're still not handing out rejections, despite having told me to my face that I would "hear back, good or bad, within 2 weeks."
This was some odd fluke. I have huge international companies that are well respected in every way that won't send that one simple email. Bunch of assholes. Should report the HR to the CEO or something for stuff like that. Heh, one bizarre opposite thing once happened. The recruiters told me straight up after the interview that they didn't consider me suitable for the job. I had to send compliments back to them for having balls to say that right away and to my face instead of sending that "yes, but no" - email

ed. I want to open my own business. Been fantasizing of a cafe/bar with a handful of pinball machines lately
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Unless you ran someone over, a button down and pants is good enough for traffic court. Last time I went, I wore a polo. Talked my way out of that ticket even though I was in the wrong 100%
every country is different.

we don't have 'traffic court' in NSW. You get ticket, you pay the fine + automatic loss of points. You can elect to challenge and it's at the local court (criminal cases under 2 year gaol sentences)
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Ultrafunkula

One other thing about job hunting that is depressing, is that when you apply for something you know you could handle nicely you get rejected, which is fine. But then you see the same fucking job posted one week later
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6642
you can have my job if you want it
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

Cybargs wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

we don't have 'traffic court' in NSW. You get ticket, you pay the fine + automatic loss of points. You can elect to challenge and it's at the local court (criminal cases under 2 year gaol sentences)
Having had extensive experience in going to court, it really depends on the judge.  I've seen a judge berate an old man who was representing himself for wearing shorts to court.  I've seen a judge commend a kid for showing up in a suit and tie with his mom.  I've seen judges not give a fuck what people are wearing.  The last time I was in court I heard the judge tell the person in front of him that the charge he had (10 year old DUI charge) was worth fighting because most likely some of the people who were involved in the case were gone/retired/transferred and the paperwork was likely lost.

You can't talk your way out of a ticket in front of the judge.  You have two options - plead guilty or plead not guilty and get a date for your trial.  The judge is there to give you the fine if you plead guilty or give you the court date if you plead not guilty.  The judge doesn't decide whether you are guilty or not.

Cybargs, what you described is essentially what our traffic court is.  They call it 'traffic court' but it's really just a local court to deal with minor infractions.
Pocshy2.0
+23|3363
So as you all know (thanks to my timely updates) I am on the job hunt. My school has employer profile binders designed to help head-hunters place our students. I got a call from one of these head hunters looking to fill a short term contract with the Ontario government. Great. Meeting scheduled.

So here's the problem: Do I take an almost guaranteed short-term contract (3-4 months) and build some experience, or do I wait to hear back from other positions I've interviewed for that are longer-term but stand a lower chance of landing?
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6283|Washington St.
Take a guaranteed job always. You can quit it for something else. Sure it's not great to quit a job a week in, but it happens - ESPECIALLY in contract jobs.
Pocshy2.0
+23|3363
I hear ya, and was thinking something along the same lines. I have until Friday to figure out where I stand with other jobs I've interviewed for, so I am thinking I will place a call to a couple of them Thursday afternoon just to see if I am even still in the running.

The work I would be doing in both jobs is actually rather interesting, so I really don't favour one over the other for any other reason than having a longer-term arrangement.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6673|Disaster Free Zone

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Having had extensive experience in going to court, it really depends on the judge.  I've seen a judge berate an old man who was representing himself for wearing shorts to court.  I've seen a judge commend a kid for showing up in a suit and tie with his mom.  I've seen judges not give a fuck what people are wearing.  The last time I was in court I heard the judge tell the person in front of him that the charge he had (10 year old DUI charge) was worth fighting because most likely some of the people who were involved in the case were gone/retired/transferred and the paperwork was likely lost.

You can't talk your way out of a ticket in front of the judge.  You have two options - plead guilty or plead not guilty and get a date for your trial.  The judge is there to give you the fine if you plead guilty or give you the court date if you plead not guilty.  The judge doesn't decide whether you are guilty or not.

Cybargs, what you described is essentially what our traffic court is.  They call it 'traffic court' but it's really just a local court to deal with minor infractions.
so everyone who gets a speeding or parking ticket has to go to court? What a waste of time.
Pocshy2.0
+23|3363

DrunkFace wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

so everyone who gets a speeding or parking ticket has to go to court? What a waste of time.
Only if you decide to contest the ticket. 90% of the time (statistic pulled from my ass) you pay the fine and move on with life.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6316|Graz, Austria
I overtook a slower car on the right in a tunnel, which stayed in the fast lane, 10% below the speed limit.
Either one of the other drivers reported me, or the surveillance cameras saw me, because I got a €70 ticket.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

Pocshy2.0 wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Only if you decide to contest the ticket. 90% of the time (statistic pulled from my ass) you pay the fine and move on with life.
Yeah. That's why I responded to Cybargs with "what you described is essentially what our traffic court is."  I thought it was very clear but I guess not?

Most people just pay the fine and move on.  Some people have a misguided assumption that they will stride into court and convince the judge that their specific incident warrants leniency.  It's annoying and a waste of time for everyone else in there that actually HAS to see the judge.

I remember one time a lady was in their arguing with the judge about an excessive speeding ticket (i think she was going over 90mph).  Her excuse was, "I had my infant in the car and she was sick so I was taking her to the hospital."  The judge came back with, "so you were driving 90mph with an infant in the car? That doesn't exactly help your case."
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+635|3712
I actually did get myself out of a ticket for not having a parking permit. I said my car was still totally buried by the snow and my tag wasn't visible. The bailiff and judge both both scoffed at how ridiculous that was but they accepted it anyway once I showed my license with my address on it. I fought the law and I won.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England

DrunkFace wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

If it's minor you can just plead guilty and send them a check. If it's more serious like DUI you have to show up.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
uziq
+492|3444

Pocshy2.0 wrote:

So as you all know (thanks to my timely updates) I am on the job hunt. My school has employer profile binders designed to help head-hunters place our students. I got a call from one of these head hunters looking to fill a short term contract with the Ontario government. Great. Meeting scheduled.

So here's the problem: Do I take an almost guaranteed short-term contract (3-4 months) and build some experience, or do I wait to hear back from other positions I've interviewed for that are longer-term but stand a lower chance of landing?
take the experience, and get out of the chicken-and-egg graduate purgatory of 'needing experience for entry-level role'. so long as it is paid you have absolutely nothing to lose. 3-4 month contract is perfect if you know you'll be looking for bigger, better jobs. that's no time at all and you may even discover a few things about the career itself that you didn't know before.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708

Jay wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

If it's minor you can just plead guilty and send them a check. If it's more serious like DUI you have to show up.
Generally its much better to wear a suit to court to show 'respect' to a court. Some judges care some don't, but it's not worth risking it. I've seen homeless dudes wearing a suit to court, judges are somehow way more sympathetic.

Same. You have to rock up to court for DUI since they give penalties and you can challenge it.

Ken: are traffic tickets jury trials? Local court offences are magistrate trials (much faster) while indictable offences (5 years+ gaol) are jury trials.

95% of people plea guilty anyway. we got court discounts.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I actually did get myself out of a ticket for not having a parking permit. I said my car was still totally buried by the snow and my tag wasn't visible. The bailiff and judge both both scoffed at how ridiculous that was but they accepted it anyway once I showed my license with my address on it. I fought the law and I won.
you just perjured yourself on internets.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard