Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5758|Catherine Black

Jay wrote:

What happened to Windows 9?
They skipped it because software installers check the first character of the reported Windows version information and if it comes back with a 9, they assume Windows 95/98.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
uziq
+492|3422
also whatever happened to the other 358 xboxes
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
XBox 359 is probably in the works now
Steve-0
Karma limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+214|3929|SL,UT

another downgrade from micro$oft, just like win 10 . . .
Pocshy2.0
+23|3341
Now that I've had Windows 10 for a few days I can say it is a marginal improvement over 8.1. The initial problems all had to do with programs that hadn't been optimized for Windows 10, but have since been fixed. My advice? Wait another month or two until most people are on the same page. Save yourself the headaches.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6293|Graz, Austria
Did you encounter any issues with games?
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6260|Washington St.
I've had it since the november tech preview and through all the different builds I never encountered an issue gaming.
Pocshy2.0
+23|3341
No issues with games, although a program I use in lieu of in-game chat gave me a tonne of headaches. I mostly play Valve games.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum
oh ye i finally built a new pc

i5 4960k
290tri-x
16gb ddr3
ssd and shit

it owns
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4938|Dundee, Scotland.

FatherTed wrote:

i5 4960k
290tri-x
16gb ddr3
ssd and shit

it owns
did you ever get a micophone?
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
Steve-0
+214|3929|SL,UT

Camm wrote:

yes, he got a microphone. he didn't get speakers because Fuck It, he Fatherteds and he speaks but he dasn't listen.

he'd make a great mod.
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6470|so randum

Camm wrote:

FatherTed wrote:

i5 4960k
290tri-x
16gb ddr3
ssd and shit

it owns
yep! a horrid logitech desktop one though
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6624

Getting some cyclic redundancy check errors on my 2TB storage drive, and it can be very slow to navigate (long load times in Windows explorer). Does that mean it's going to die soon?
Steve-0
+214|3929|SL,UT

mtb0minime wrote:

Getting some cyclic redundancy check errors on my 2TB storage drive, and it can be very slow to navigate (long load times in Windows explorer). Does that mean it's going to die soon?
yes. CRC errors are the canary in the coal mine. back that shit up.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
Installed a new motherboard which of course confused Windows and now I have no idea what phone number to call to reactivate Windows 10.  And I'm not even sure I can, I used a system builder version of 8.1 originally and I think system builder licenses are considered OEM and thus non-transferable licenses.  Not sure what to do

Last edited by _j5689_ (2015-08-19 05:55:12)

Pocshy2.0
+23|3341
I went through the fucking printer saga of hell last night trying to get my old Samsung colour laser to work with windows 10. Ended up having to have someone at microfail take remote access of my computer to type in code so quickly I don't know what he did. 3 hours later and I printed the shit out of that reference sheet.
Steve-0
+214|3929|SL,UT

i registered with a new forum.
it's for Linux users.

i am installing Linux on one of my machines for the first time, after having an old distro on cd to boot and fix issues. i will say, being a free OS you get what you pay for. And one big headache trying to follow all the variants, installables and packages. any of you fuckers running Linux?
if so, what flavor and version?
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6260|Washington St.
ubuntu - newest. Don't run it full-time, just as a secondary to troubleshoot problems with people who DO run it full-time.

I've had arch, mint, rhel, debian, as well as that ultra osx clone 'pear'

we run centos on our clusters too
Steve-0
+214|3929|SL,UT

Mint.

What say you (cinnamon desktop)?
Steve-0
+214|3929|SL,UT

oh, and i never realized you lived on Washington Street. i'll be right over. what do you normally drink?
uziq
+492|3422
i ask this question roughly once a year, in the spirit of genuine curiosity:

why are people building cutting edge gaming rigs nowadays? what are the system pushing games that people are playing?

what's the go-to benchmark 'pretty' game or eye-candy experience? what's the hardcore/competitive/play-a-lot game that justifies the horsepower and expense.

both genuine questions as i don't really play much anymore.
Steve-0
+214|3929|SL,UT

uziq wrote:

i ask this question roughly once a year, in the spirit of genuine curiosity:

why are people building cutting edge gaming rigs nowadays? what are the system pushing games that people are playing?

what's the go-to benchmark 'pretty' game or eye-candy experience? what's the hardcore/competitive/play-a-lot game that justifies the horsepower and expense.

both genuine questions as i don't really play much anymore.
i don't know, and i don't know. valid questions. when i had eye surgery i pretty much adopted Minecraft. it's pace suited me. today i'm more interested in function over form, and the internal workings of computers. i know i'm an old fart that cut my teeth on Windows for Networking ( win 3.1)

for bench marking i always used pi or 3dmark. i know i needed horsepower from my cpu and gpu for photography, another lame ass interest i adopted in my decrepit years. i always valued a true rendering over a fast one, same as my carnal relationships.

i defer to you for the value of fast relationships, what you being a scholar and all . . .
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6260|Washington St.
god knows there's some CoD or Assassins creed coming out every 3 months that will look the prettiest. they come out so fast now that a single software test will be the best measure instead of a game. so yes 3dmark.

cinnamon desktop was fine. nothing to write home about but certainly keeps up with the rest of them. less of a resource hog than unity i believe too. Gnome 2 will always be best until something dethrones it.

and it's washington state you dunce. but when you come i like hefes or wheats until winter when i go back to IPA's
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
cod has looked poor for ages. assassins creed has a crazy short draw distance but looks great as long as you stay indoors.

i play racing and strategy games.. as for others. battlefield 4 and gta5 i guess
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I set a $200 budget for any computer part I buy. On a T.V. or tablet it's okay to go big. But on video cards and CPUs, you are better off buying whatever is midrange at time.

You can buy a used 9800 GX2 for $70 on Amazon. That retailed for $400 or so. Remember when that guy bragged about getting 120 FPS in Call of Duty because of that card? Now you can't even give it away.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard