Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5582

Golfer Phil Mickelson is suing a Canadian Internet service provider in an effort to expose the identity of whoever has been posting "defamatory statements" about the four-time major winner, press reports said on Thursday.

The American is suing Videotron SENC in a Quebec court to learn the name of the person or persons who Mickelson says have attacked his reputation and made the statements under the pseudonyms "Fogroller" and "Longitude."

The postings appeared on Internet sites, including Yahoo! Sports.

"The postings suggest that plaintiff has an illegitimate child, that his wife has affairs and other similar vexatious statements that are absolutely untrue," the complaint reads according to a report in the Toronto Star.

Mickelson wants the court to issue an order forcing Videotron to identify the source of the posts and to "stop the dissemination of false and wrongful statements."
http://www.sport24.co.za/Golf/Mickelson … s-20120203
Overreaction or is tracking someone down who posted in the comment section of a Yahoo article a reasonable act? Personally, my heart breaks for the multimillionaire public figure. He has it really rough and he just can't let this go. I hope he confronts this random internet poster in the most dramatic way.

The hubris of this man almost makes me wish harm to him and his fami

Mickelson's wife, Amy, is recovering from breast cancer.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5962|London, England

Phil is a faggot

come at me
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6656|BC, Canada

Mutantbear wrote:

Phil is a faggot

come at me
why you talk about t.sex like that?
eleven bravo
+1,399|5256|foggy bottom
not gonna fly in court
Tu Stultus Es
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5582

eleven bravo wrote:

not gonna fly in court
Flew in court
Golfer Phil Mickelson has won a lawsuit against a Canadian Internet provider to obtain the identity of a person who posted online comments that he calls "highly defamatory."

A Montreal lawyer for the American athlete said Thursday a Quebec Superior Court judge granted a court order Monday to force Quebec-based provider Videotron to release the identity and co-ordinates of the author of several "vexatious statements" posted on a Yahoo! website.
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Golf … story.html
GG Canadian courts
eleven bravo
+1,399|5256|foggy bottom
wouldnt fly in an american court.
Tu Stultus Es
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5582

eleven bravo wrote:

wouldnt fly in an american court.
Has flown in an American court
A judge ruled in Liskula Cohen's favor Monday, saying the ex-model is entitled to know the identity of the creator of "Skanks in NYC," a now-defunct blog. Cohen argued that the creator of the blog possibly defamed her by calling her "skank" and an "old hag."

In her decision, Judge Joan Madden wrote that, "the thrust of the blog is that [Cohen] is a sexually promiscuous woman," and Cohen is therefore entitled to file a defamation lawsuit. Google would be forced to provide the blogger's name in order for her to do so.

In a separate incident, Cohen received 46 stitches on her face and mouth in 2007 after being attacked by a bottle-wielding doorman at a nightclub.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/1 … 61847.html

I wonder why HP put that last part about the bottle in there
eleven bravo
+1,399|5256|foggy bottom
woulnt hold up on appeal
Tu Stultus Es
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5175|Sydney
Cue "has held up on appeal"
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5582

I guess Google had other things to do than appeal it?
A Vogue cover girl has confronted - and forgiven - the anonymous blogger who trashed her as a "skank" and a "ho" on a special Web site.

Liskula Cohen, who sued Google to find out who was behind the catty "Skanks in NYC" Web site, told "Good Morning America" on Wednesday she called her online tormentor as soon as she got the mystery blogger's personal information.
Jaekus
+957|5175|Sydney
I think the comments section is a tad different to someone creating an entire blog about you. I think the golfer was taking it a bit far, but with his wife having breast cancer he's understandably in an emotional state and hard time. The model I think has a better case.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5256|foggy bottom
whole reasoning behind libel cases is that the wrong party has to prove that what is being said would would be reasonable to believe that what is being written is true.  plus, this gold dude, although is a private citizen, he is also a public figure (there is a difference between public official and public figure.  You could get away with saying a lot more about a public official than a public figure but a public figure, there is still a bit of lattitude allowed to what can and cant be considered defamatory).
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5256|foggy bottom

Macbeth wrote:

A Vogue cover girl has confronted - and forgiven - the anonymous blogger who trashed her as a "skank" and a "ho" on a special Web site.

Liskula Cohen, who sued Google to find out who was behind the catty "Skanks in NYC" Web site, told "Good Morning America" on Wednesday she called her online tormentor as soon as she got the mystery blogger's personal information.
i suppose to.  legal fees are a motherfucker.  thats why like 99% lawsuits always end in a settlement
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5256|foggy bottom
s

Macbeth wrote:

i suppose so.  legal fees are a motherfucker.  thats why like 99% lawsuits always end in a settlement
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5256|foggy bottom
if that particular case went to the supreme court, i doubt it would have had the same result
Tu Stultus Es
Jaekus
+957|5175|Sydney
I think from the ISP's point of view they see the case coming and think "well, it saves us a lot of time and hassle to just reveal the person" and be done with it.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5256|foggy bottom
Tu Stultus Es
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6494

Mutantbear wrote:

Phil is a faggot

come at me
https://cdn-www.i-am-bored.com/media/21233_homogolf.jpg
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6651

Phil Mickelson is a blatant homosexual who has had many male sexual partners and has impregnated hundreds of other males with illegitimate lovechildren. Also, he has a full blown case of AIDS.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6734|Oxferd Ohire
i never liked lefty. and im a lefty
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Steve-0
Karma limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+214|3957|SL,UT

god, you cannot let bf2s die, despite chuyskywalkers' best efforts. . . .

if this prayer isn't answered i will personally bare the cost of hosting this god-forsaken website just to peruse the genius that is the halflings posting in the goddam threads that made bf2s so genius . . .
jsnipy
+3,276|6519|...

Phil Mickelson is actually closing bf2s because of this thread. Just took him 3 years of appeals.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard