Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6593|Little Bentcock
As I said, the gfx card will go black, and then recover a few seconds later when playing games. Used to just completely lock the PC and occasionaly still does.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
Did you recently update your drivers?

Sometimes newer nVidia drivers fuck up older cards and make them really unstable.  It happened once on my 8600GT and happened for a long time on my GTX 260, I couldn't update past a certain release or else it would do pretty much exactly what you described.  I don't remember if they ever even fixed it or not, I think I just gave up on new drivers till I got a newer card that didn't do that anymore
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I had new drivers kill a 8800 GTS. Never update your drivers on old hardware
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
Adams_BJ
Could be that, its been doing it for a few sets of new drivers. Maybe up to a year now. Sometimes its better than not
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
Same problem I had then, just stay with the most stable recent release until you get a new card or new computer
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6708|Oxferd Ohire
balance your budget then buy a new card
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Adams_BJ
on it
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Dinking around with a later driver than what was recommended is what fried one of my old NVIDIA cards back in the early 00's, but it gave me the excuse I wanted to go upgrade. [obvious] NVIDIA's website has a handy little tool that tells you the latest you should use for what you have, automatically or through user input. [/obvious]
Steve-0
Karma limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+214|3930|SL,UT

i think mods should have passed the Comptia A+ test to be able to post in this section . . .
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

it gave me the excuse I wanted to go upgrade.
To my memory, the card in question was a Ti 4600 or 4800 and no longer capable of running what I wanted it to, so I felt free to experiment with it.

An A+ is a bottom-of-the-barrel certification that you can get with, to my recollection, a small bit of your time and a handful of flash cards for prep. It only proves minimal effort on the holder's part. Despite the fact that I still keep one in my wallet for some reason, I don't think it particularly makes you any more qualified than an experienced hobbyist to talk about computers. So I certainly wouldn't anchor any snark or air of superiority with it.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
A+, Network+ and Security+ are only good for three years before you have to get retested now if you got yours after 2010.  Super annoying money-grubbing shit
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I wouldn't actually mind, except they want a ridiculous sum for each test, and they can add up rather quickly. Overpriced I think, compared to their actual value on a resume. Not my business any longer though, so it's someone else's first world problem.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard