• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Friend just built a new computer, booted once, now dead
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
He just got all his parts from Newegg a few days ago, bought a better graphics card from me, put it all together, put Windows 7 on it and got a few drivers on it, then shut it down and now nothing gets power.

He said he tried two different power supplies, checked the circuit breaker, disassembled and reassembled the whole thing and nothing made a difference.  I'm thinking it's the motherboard.  He also forgot to plug the 4-pin CPU power in the first time he started it up and said the peripherals weren't working so I don't know if he may have damaged something that way or not.

The graphics card is only a GTX 760 powered by a 600W PSU so it's not like it's terribly overburdened or anything unless it was a shitty brand, but it's Corsair so it shouldn't be

These are the other specs:

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/8171/IMG_0736%5B1%5D.JPG

Looking at the mobo, a decent few reviews say DOA or something along those lines, makes me really think that may be the culprit now

Last edited by _j5689_ (2014-12-08 10:59:28)

jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

check the thermal paste on the pins

edit: prob the motherboard. Do you have a way to test the PSU?
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
Not really but he tried a different PSU already that was known to be good and it was the same thing.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
I had the same issue before. For me, it was the washers on the screws that connected the Motherboard to the case. They were ungrounding it. Check to see if you have washers there or anywhere else that could be doing it.
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
I did have that same grounding issue when I first installed my brother's replacement motherboard, but I don't think I've never seen any aftermarket motherboard or case come with washers before.

He said he just moved the motherboard over to another case and hooked everything up, still no power so he RMA'd the motherboard on Newegg and they're giving him an exchange.  I'm not sure if that means the same model or a different motherboard though which is scary.  That one looks like it's just a piece of shit, I shopped around for better ones in the price range and Gigabyte reviews don't look very good at all for any of their sub-$100 AMD boards but I did find him an ASUS board with much better reviews that's only $20 more:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6813131873
JdeFalconr
Lex Luthor, King of Australia
+72|6512|Sammamish, WA

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I had the same issue before. For me, it was the washers on the screws that connected the Motherboard to the case. They were ungrounding it. Check to see if you have washers there or anywhere else that could be doing it.
I made that same mistake once and only once. If this happened then the machine wouldn't boot at all; there would be a short and the board would fry. You need to use a non-conductive part to mount the motherboard to the case, otherwise bad news. The case should come with either brass stand-offs or some plastic clip-like things that go into the screw-holes on the mobo.

The way I've learned to troubleshoot stuff like this is to start removing components one by one until you get the machine to either POST or begin emitting post beep codes (combinations of long and short beeps that indicate what the faulty part is. check the motherboard manual for what they mean). When I say components I mean everything, RAM included. If you have multiple sticks of RAM inserted then remove one, then swap it out for the other, try different DIMM slots, etc. You did the right thing by using a different PSU to test with.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6655|United States of America
RIP Your Friend
Steve-0
Karma limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+214|3930|SL,UT

JdeFalconr wrote:

The way I've learned to troubleshoot stuff like this is to start removing components one by one until you get the machine to either POST or begin emitting post beep codes (combinations of long and short beeps that indicate what the faulty part is. check the motherboard manual for what they mean). When I say components I mean everything, RAM included. If you have multiple sticks of RAM inserted then remove one, then swap it out for the other, try different DIMM slots, etc. You did the right thing by using a different PSU to test with.
take everything out first, add one by one, like a tech.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
add some things and remove others, completely at random. Continue doing so and checking boot status until you've come to the correct part or parts. It takes hours longer. That's how I do it anyway.

Last edited by pirana6 (2014-12-24 15:53:50)

• Index » 
  • Community » 
  • Tech » 
  • Friend just built a new computer, booted once, now dead

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard