prototype
+52|6281
Hey guys,

I am in the process of rebuilding my system because my mobo died.

My new parts have all arrived and I have a few questions since it has been a while since I have assembled so many new parts at one time.

First, I need to know if the CPU I bought is a "Haswell" because of some PSU compatibility issues listed here
http://techreport.com/review/24897/the- … ility-list

The CPU I bought is an Intel Pentium Processor G3258 4 BX80646G3258 and my PSU is an older (2007) NZXT PP500

Secondly, I am worried that I will need to flash the bios on my new mobo so it will accept the new cpu

My new mobo is an ASUS H81M-E ATX DDR3 1333 LGA 1150 and my CPU is an Intel Pentium Processor G3258 4 BX80646G3258

Will I need to flash the bios or can I just pop in the CPU chip and be good to go?

Thanks for any info that gets posted

Last edited by prototype (2014-07-06 21:24:30)

pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
Yes your CPU is a Haswell

No you don't need to flash the BIOS

If you're worried about the Haswell-sleep issue, I'm 99% certain you can just go into the BIOS and turn that feature off.

Just pop the chip, heatsink, ram, hard drive, and power cables in and go. If the sleep thing with the haswells is rebooting your computer, go into the bios and turn it off.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6745|Moscow, Russia
yes, it's haswell. don't worry too much though and just assemble the stuff with the psu you've got, see if it works. i don't think you can damage anything.

on asus website it specifically lists G3258 as needing the latest BIOS to work, so yes, you may need to update your bios. but then again, it should still work right away, save maybe some dubious features you don't even notice, so plug everything in and see for yourself. update that shit if necessary.

ASUS wrote:

Description     H81M-E BIOS 2001 and BIOS updater
Support IntelĀ® PentiumĀ® Anniversary Edition CPU (G3258)

*Before using the new Intel 4th Gen Core processors, we suggest that you first download the BIOS updater for new Intel 4th Gen Core Processors and then update the BIOS using this tool.
File Size     12.46 MBytes 2014/06/18 update
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
prototype
+52|6281
thank you for replying

if I have to go into the bios to turn off the sleep mode, is that in the PSU section or the CPU section ?

I found this on the asus website in reference to my question about having to flash the bios for my cpu, does this mean I will more than likely be ok with the default bios version when the board arrives ?

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/list … KM4D0mkwPo

thanks again guys

Last edited by prototype (2014-07-06 22:10:40)

Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6745|Moscow, Russia

prototype wrote:

if I have to go into the bios to turn off the sleep mode, is that in the PSU section or the CPU section?
there will be manual, man. i'm sure you'll find that option if you need it.

I found this on the asus website in reference to my question about having to flash the bios for my cpu, does this mean I will more than likely be ok with the default bios version when the board arrives ?
it should run ok, even with the default bios. if you are worried then just update the bloody thing to the latest version and be done with it .
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
prototype
+52|6281
thanks man.

what about this, I dont see my new mobo on the compat list for this cpu, should i be worried

http://processormatch.intel.com/MotherB … Name=G3258

also should I install windows 7 - 32bit or 64bit ?

Last edited by prototype (2014-07-07 11:03:15)

coke
Aye up duck!
+440|6679|England. Stoke
Don't worry about the compatibility just build it.
And definitely 64 bit.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6294|Graz, Austria

prototype wrote:

also should I install windows 7 - 32bit or 64bit ?
Are you buying that?
If so, I'd suggest you get Windows 8.1 instead, since it's actually cheaper.

Use one of those shell replacements to get a classic Start menu and you're fine.
(E.g. Classic Shell, StartIsBack, Start8,...)
In a few months with the 8.2 update, a native Start menu will return as well.

And yes, 64 bit of course.
prototype
+52|6281
i already have a windows 7 developers disk with all the versions on it, 32 and 64 bit,
which version is best for your average user/gamer
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6538|NYC / Hamburg

coke wrote:

definitely 64 bit.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard