Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6593|Little Bentcock
Go for it
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4813|Amsterdam
I've always been rather skeptical about using a belt. Managed to get pretty far without one so never saw the point.
Today, this guy saw me getting ready to DL 115kg and asked me if i used a belt. He told me how much of a difference it makes from 120 and onwards and asked me if i wanted to borrow his to try it out. Holy back-support batman, what a difference. I've been stuck at 140-150 for a while now, but I think using a belt might just be what's going to push me over the edge when it comes to lgoing form 3 to 4 plates.

I also decided to minimize bulking. I'm at 73-75kg now and would really want to focus on strength whilst bulking up to a solid 75+ so I can cut down to the sub-73kg weightclass if I ever want to do anything competatively. Although, that would be a long time from now, considering I dont feel comfortablt competing until I can DL at least 4 plates.
avman633
+116|6335
Just got my deadlift max of 455 yesterday. Feels good man
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6603|949

my right side (especially during chest/back/shoulder/arm workouts) feels like it bears more weight when I work out than my left side.  I try to naturally compensate by pushing less on my right side, but it doesn't seem to be effective.  I can notice a considerable difference in size and I don't really want to look like this:

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/14345/strong_fal.jpg

any thoughts?
Adams_BJ
Are you looking at your form in the mirror? Are you using a bar or whatnot? Easiest way to make sure you are fairly symmetrical is to make sure everything you do is up and down. Curls? Use a bar and keep your spine straight. Stand square to the mirror and keep the bar horizontal. Chin ups? Make sure your body is going directly up.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
Lifted for the first time in almost 2 years last night. I love the feeling of being sore.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6603|949

Adams_BJ wrote:

Are you looking at your form in the mirror? Are you using a bar or whatnot? Easiest way to make sure you are fairly symmetrical is to make sure everything you do is up and down. Curls? Use a bar and keep your spine straight. Stand square to the mirror and keep the bar horizontal. Chin ups? Make sure your body is going directly up.
ya i use free weights and machines.  I've seen my form and it looks fine.  I've had trainers watch me and they don't see anything wrong. Still nothing
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6283

Have you tried doing more unilateral exercises where you can focus more on form and execution of the lacking side rather than worrying about compensating with the dominant one?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6077|eXtreme to the maX

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

my right side (especially during chest/back/shoulder/arm workouts) feels like it bears more weight when I work out than my left side.  I try to naturally compensate by pushing less on my right side, but it doesn't seem to be effective.  I can notice a considerable difference in size and I don't really want to look like this:

any thoughts?
Try masturbating with your other hand.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6603|949

Dilbert_X wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

any thoughts?
Try masturbating with your other hand.
Tee hee gud one bro. See you on the playground for recess!
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5149|Sydney

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

any thoughts?
Focus on form and keep it all symmetrical. Maybe do an additional set or two of an isolation exercise on the left side to help bring up some strength.

I've missed the gym for almost three weeks now, and in that time drank a lot of booze. Feels good bro (but I need to get back into the gym)
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
https://i.imgur.com/YLTAXii.jpg?1
Adams_BJ
Better get back into it, had a slew of sickness and injury the last 6 months and fell off the wagon
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6431|UK
6 month lay off what you have, aids?
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
I took two years off... Change in job, change in gf, change in apt (twice). It's mostly the change in apartment that causes me to quit a gym, then having to re-join just makes me lazy.

This used to be one of my favorite threads. I guess that I started up again in January and have been seeing changes in my lifting I should post my routine or some shit
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6283

post your routine and diet bro
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6431|UK
How hard are you working out? Are you going to near failure?
baggs
+732|6175
This works:

Flat bench, incline bench, shoulders, squats (tho its fucking insane and try and keep someone close if you should encounter difficulties near the end.

Take your normal lifting weight and reduce to roughly a third or a half, then proceed with:

7 reps for 7 sets with 7 seconds rest between each set

3 mins rest

6 reps for 6 sets with 6 seconds rest between each set

3 mins rest

5 reps for 5 sets with 5 seconds rest between each set

thats a total of 110 reps.

Repeat for the next exercise! But please, make sure you're well hydrated and have eaten very well, also, should you not make the full reps and sets on the first try, do what you can and drop down to the next reps and sets.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
Yep not doing that. Well at least not for bench press or something where I could die, cause I would.

I could manage with shrugs or something where if the weights fall, I'll live to see another day.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
Mondays/Thursdays: Chest/Tri's

Barbell bench press -  3x10 -  (rotate between incline and flat)
Dumbbell fly's  - 3x10 - (rotate between incline and decline)
Dumbbell press - 3x10 - (rotate between incline, flat, and decline)
Cable cross-overs - 3x10 - (last set is drop-down* set)
Low cable cross-overs - 3x10 - (last set is drop-down set)
Tricep pushdown - 3x10

Tues/Friday: Bi's/Upper Back

21's** - 2 sets
Shrugs - 3x10
Bent-over rows - 3x10
Dumbbell curls - 3x10
Arnold Press - 3x10
Lat pulldowns - 3x10
Cable pull/curl - 3x10 - (last set is drop-down set)
Shoulder/behind-the-head press - 3x10

Wednesday/Sat: Legs/lower back (Imma be honest, I miss saturdays a lot cause I'm usually with friends drinking)

Squats - 3x10
Deadlifts - 3x10
Leg press - 3x10
Calf raise - 3x10
Lunges - 3x10

*"drop down" sets have lots of names. Its those where you use enough weight so you're just at failure on the last rep then immediately drop the weight 15-20% and do 10 more reps without a break. Then drop the weight again and 10 more reps, etc. until the last set and you're lifting 5 lbs. By FAR my favorite lifting exercise/technique EVAR

**"21s" are just a name for curling the bar half-way up from the bottom then back down 7 times, then from the top down to half-way 7 times, then 7 full curls. So 21 reps = 1 set, but the first 7 are half-reps starting from the bottom and the second 7 are half-reps starting from the top.

In general, 3x10's is pretty standard (and boring), but I try to follow the rule that if I can manage 3x12's with a weight, then I'll go to 3x8 with a higher weight until I hit 3x12 again, then up the weight. 3x10 is just standard.

wah1188 wrote:

How hard are you working out? Are you going to near failure?
By the last rep of the last set I'm usually at failure. Yes that makes it tough because if I'm on the first exercise of chest (for example) and I'm already failing, the next chest exercise will be a lot harder. And yes it's odd when I mix up the exercise order and I can go way higher on weights on the first exercise (that's normally last) because I haven't hit failure with it yet... but mixing up routines to not plateau... shock the muscles... and whatnot.

ebug wrote:

post your diet bro
Meh, fuck diet. I eat whatever. Just get lots of calories.
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6431|UK
That's not too bad of a split. I usually go for minimum of 4 set's at least. To me your leg day is looking ok, I do very high volume for squats though 6 working set's.

Me personally I'd skim some exercises off. Then have more set's and also include a set where you rep the weight out.

Barbell bench press -  4 set's-  (rotate between incline and flat)
Incline Dumbbell fly's  - 4 set's - (rotate between incline and decline)
Cable cross-overs - 4 set's - (last set is drop-down* set)
Tricep pushdown - 4 set's
Dips

I also don't think you're doing enough stuff for the triceps. Check out the video above for some good exercises for the tri's.

This is my split I don't really aim for a specific rep number I just keep between 5-12

Monday: Shoulders and Back

Pull up's (weighted) keep going until I can only get about 5 without weight
Dumbell shoulder press (5 set's 1 warm up set 4 working one's)
T-bar rows (5 set's)
Lat pulldown (5 set's)
Front raises (4 set's) last set is a drop down
Side lateral raises (4 set's) last set is a drop down
Rear delt flies (3 set's)

Tuesday chest and tri's

Incline dumbbell press 4-5 sets's
Weighted dips just blast it until your tri's are smoked
Incline dumbbell flies 3-4 set's really focus on the contracting and feeling the stretch right at the bottom
Triceps pushdown with the rope attachment 3-4 set's
Overhead triceps extension 3-4 set's

Wednesday Back and Shoulders again!

Pull up's no weight just keep going until your shit is smoked
Dumbbell shoulder press (4 set's shave a few kg off your maximum weight)
T bar rows 4 da hoes (5 set's)
Upright rows (4 set's)
Barbell Shrugs (5 set's)
Freestyle Thursday whatever I am struggling to gain on I will usually do a few set's of.
I also deadlift this day.

Saturday Legs

Barbell squat (9-10 set's) 2 Warmup set's and 2 Low weight set's at the end
Leg press machine (4 set's)
Leg extension machine (4 set's)
Barbell lunges (4 set's about 12 steps per set)
Calf machine raise (Just keep going until your shit is smoked)

Sunday Hamstrings

Lying leg curl aka the sodomy machine (4 set's)
Stiff leg deadlift (6-7 set's tricky one to get right)
And the rest of the day is spent doing forearms and some biceps.

It's not an exact science our bodies are all different what works for one person might not work for another. My advice is to mix it up if your're lagging behind on one area train it at least twice a week. It's always good to throw in some new exercises to shake it up.

Last edited by wah1188 (2014-04-25 13:23:40)

pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.

wah1188 wrote:

That's not too bad of a split. I usually go for minimum of 4 set's at least. To me your leg day is looking ok, I do very high volume for squats though 6 working set's.

Me personally I'd skim some exercises off. Then have more set's and also include a set where you rep the weight out.

Barbell bench press -  4 set's-  (rotate between incline and flat)
Incline Dumbbell fly's  - 4 set's - (rotate between incline and decline)
Cable cross-overs - 4 set's - (last set is drop-down* set)
Tricep pushdown - 4 set's
Dips
I've heard a lot of people tell me "more sets, less exercises". Certainly they're right to an extent but I have trouble doing that for a few reasons.

1, I get bored of sitting at the same bench doing the same thing over and over. It really kills my motivation to go to the gym.
2, Personally I think doing more exercises hits more of the muscle(s) so few reps of lots of different exercises is better than lots of reps of a few exercises. Imagine someone doing ONLY one exercise for thighs (20x20 or something like that) while his friend does 2x10 of 10 different thigh exercises. The first guy is going to have a serious boost in the exact muscle(s) he uses while the second guy is going to have less bulk in that ONE area but a more well-rounded over-all. I realize this may be COMPLETELY false and goes against the whole "bench-press/squat/deadlift/military-press is all you need" idea... but I dunno, just my philosophy.

I also don't think you're doing enough stuff for the triceps. Check out the video above for some good exercises for the tri's.
You're right in that I only have 1 dedicated tri exercise but for whatever reason (poor form, weakest muscle, etc.) they are always the muscle that gets tired first and I need to do dedicated chest exercises otherwise I'll NEVER hit the chest. I should look into why that is, but I just haven't got around to it.

To me your leg day is looking ok
I'll admit my leg day is kinda shitty and sorta a catch-all for whatever I missed in the other two days but there's a bit of a reason for that. I was always the tall skinny kid in gym that couldn't put on a pound of weight if I ate lard out of the tub (I believe gym bras call this the ectomorph). I did however play Soccer for 13 years growing up so my legs were always much bigger and stronger than the rest of me. I looked like a 13-year-old torso on top of a 26-year-old athletes legs. That's why I make sure to keep them up to date but dont focus a shit ton of time on them.

This is my split I don't really aim for a specific rep number I just keep between 5-12

Monday: Shoulders and Back

Pull up's (weighted) keep going until I can only get about 5 without weight
Dumbell shoulder press (5 set's 1 warm up set 4 working one's)
T-bar rows (5 set's)
Lat pulldown (5 set's)
Front raises (4 set's) last set is a drop down
Side lateral raises (4 set's) last set is a drop down
Rear delt flies (3 set's)

Tuesday chest and tri's

Incline dumbbell press 4-5 sets's
Weighted dips just blast it until your tri's are smoked
Incline dumbbell flies 3-4 set's really focus on the contracting and feeling the stretch right at the bottom
Triceps pushdown with the rope attachment 3-4 set's
Overhead triceps extension 3-4 set's

Wednesday Back and Shoulders again!

Pull up's no weight just keep going until your shit is smoked
Dumbbell shoulder press (4 set's shave a few kg off your maximum weight)
T bar rows 4 da hoes (5 set's)
Upright rows (4 set's)
Barbell Shrugs (5 set's)
Freestyle Thursday whatever I am struggling to gain on I will usually do a few set's of.
I also deadlift this day.

Saturday Legs

Barbell squat (9-10 set's) 2 Warmup set's and 2 Low weight set's at the end
Leg press machine (4 set's)
Leg extension machine (4 set's)
Barbell lunges (4 set's about 12 steps per set)
Calf machine raise (Just keep going until your shit is smoked)

Sunday Hamstrings

Lying leg curl aka the sodomy machine (4 set's)
Stiff leg deadlift (6-7 set's tricky one to get right)
And the rest of the day is spent doing forearms and some biceps.

It's not an exact science our bodies are all different what works for one person might not work for another. My advice is to mix it up if your're lagging behind on one area train it at least twice a week. It's always good to throw in some new exercises to shake it up.
What's worked for me more than anything (aside from drop-down sets) is mixing up exercises/routines. More often than not I'm forced to because I go into a gym and the machine I normally use first is full so I have to do something else. However it happens, it's always those days that I seem to be way more sore than the days when I can do my normal order of exercises. Learning from this, sometimes I'll search the web for a "chest/tri" day (or whatever day I'm on), and do theirs, completely abandoning mine for the day. Obviously some of the exercises will be the same, but some of course will not, and the order will certainly not me. So yeah, try new shit, if not to break plateaus, then to keep from getting bored!
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6431|UK
You've said you've not been making gains so change it up. So a lot of people have told you more sets less exercises. Why have you not tried it?

Hear me out on this at least put one hand on your chest mimic the bench press motiion with the other. Now mimic the dumbbell fly motion. That's all you can contract with the chest. Doing barbell and dumbbell bench is doing pretty much the same thing. Just alternate it on your second chest day.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
Wait where did I say I wasn't getting bigger? In fact the opposite.
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6431|UK

pirana6 wrote:

I took two years off... Change in job, change in gf, change in apt (twice). It's mostly the change in apartment that causes me to quit a gym, then having to re-join just makes me lazy.

This used to be one of my favorite threads. I guess that I started up again in January and have been seeing changes in my lifting I should post my routine or some shit
It's that last bit made me think you weren't getting anywhere.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard