Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6593|Little Bentcock
And they're all indians
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

DrunkFace wrote:

Fun fact No.1
The first ever international cricket match was held at Bloomingdale Park, New York between the USA and Canada in 1844.

Fun fact No.2
The USA has the second highest pay per view watchers of cricket behind India.
I wonder if the second fun fact is related to population size?

I could never get into cricket. I don't understand it, which is probably the main issue. Someone PM me an explanation that a simpleton like me can understand please. I'm sure I'll love it once I know what the fuck is going on...never met a competition I didn't like.

So Netflix is making a big stink about what they perceive as being throttled. So far there is no smoking gun per se, but it seems consistent with ISP modus operandi. What recourse is there though? The ISP/MSO market in the US is basically a cabal, and the industry-created barriers to entry are so vast that I don't see any action save a hardcore Cesar Chavez grape boycott-ish economic protest really changing anything. The telecom market is so incredibly fucked up in the US, for once I think we should actually rely on our foreign friends to fight for "net neutrality". I hate that phrase by the way, because it makes the assumption that the internet is not already a cess pool of advertising. Surfing the web is akin to driving down the freeway and not just seeing Burma shave ads as you zoom by, but getting your windshield smacked by billboards every mile you crawl.
BVC
+325|6665

DrunkFace wrote:

Fun fact No.1
The first ever international cricket match was held at Bloomingdale Park, New York between the USA and Canada in 1844.
I did not know that, thanks!

IDK about other countries, but cricket isn't on pay per view here, its either on Sky, or free to air.

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I could never get into cricket. I don't understand it, which is probably the main issue. Someone PM me an explanation that a simpleton like me can understand please. I'm sure I'll love it once I know what the fuck is going on...never met a competition I didn't like.
Stand in front of the wickets (the three bits of wood sticking out of the ground), hit the ball & run up & down the pitch to score "runs".  Hit the ball out of the playing field to get lots of score lots of runs.  Teams take turns bowling & batting.  The team with the most runs (highest score) at the end of the game wins.

An "over" is when a bowler bowls 6 balls.
A batsman holds the bat & hits balls.
A fielder stands out in the field and chases the ball (or tries to catch it)
A wicket keeper is a glorified fielder, who stands behind the wickets.
When batting you typically get out by: Being bowled (bowler hits wickets with ball), being caught out (ball is caught after being hit, before it touches the ground), or LBW (Leg Before Wicket) - ball hits legs when legs are in front of wicket.
A four/boundary is when the batsman hits the ball to the boundary, but it touches the ground along the way - instant 4 runs.
A six is when the batsman hits the ball to the boundary without the ball touching the ground - instant 6 runs.  666 really is the number of the beast in cricket.

There are variations on the amount of time played, number of balls bowled etc.  The two main ones are:
- Test cricket. Games are up to 5 days long, and teams take two turns each at batting & bowling.  They're typically played in traditional english white uniforms.
-  One Day games.  These are typically limited to 50 overs, each team bats & bowls only once, and there are overs-based limits on the fielding & bowling..  One dayers are more exciting.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
There are two teams.

One team throws balls at three sticks, the other team tries to stop them hitting the three sticks with another, larger, stick.
When they think they can get away with it the defending team can run backwards and forwards between the sticks gaining a point each time, or more if the ball ends up outside a circle marked on the ground.

The defender can be removed if:
The ball hits the sticks, causing other, smaller, sticks to fall off those sticks.
Other circumstances occur which no-one really understands

The teams then swap roles.
The team with the most points wins, usually, or sometimes not - depending on the weather and various other factors.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

wow, i guess i should have understood that a simple sentence (someone PM me an explanation) would fail to be comprehended by bf2s DST crowd.  It's so indicative of the level of intelligence in this forum and a nice reminder of why I don't visit this website much any more.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686
so much butthurt
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

wow, i guess i should have understood that a simple sentence (someone PM me an explanation) would fail to be comprehended by bf2s DST crowd.  It's so indicative of the level of intelligence in this forum and a nice reminder of why I don't visit this website much any more.
Here you go, no need for any more whining.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Adams_BJ

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I followed directions what are you talking about
Adams_BJ

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

I followed directions what are you talking about
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Maybe, just MAYBE, people wanted to answer your question publicly so other people could read the answer and learn something as well. This is a community after all and not just a website for personal messages.

Fuckin dick
Adams_BJ
That's the best kinda dick
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
touche
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
hi
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Maybe just maybe this is a topic about net neutrality and not a cricket discussion. And maybe I was trying to keep it as such. Whatever
BVC
+325|6665
This whole thing is just a way for ISPs to charge more.  You want a neutral service (probably called Gold, Premium or some other BS, you pay for it.  You want your site to be unthrottled, you pay.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
The United States: Land of the Free, Home of the Brave Money Over Everything
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Britain's surveillance agency GCHQ, with aid from the US National Security Agency, intercepted and stored the webcam images of millions of internet users not suspected of wrongdoing, secret documents reveal.

GCHQ files dating between 2008 and 2010 explicitly state that a surveillance program codenamed Optic Nerve collected still images of Yahoo webcam chats in bulk and saved them to agency databases, regardless of whether individual users were an intelligence target or not.

In one six-month period in 2008 alone, the agency collected webcam imagery –including substantial quantities of sexually explicit communications – from more than 1.8 million Yahoo user accounts globally.
This is probably America's fault
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

BVC wrote:

This whole thing is just a way for ISPs to charge more.  You want a neutral service (probably called Gold, Premium or some other BS, you pay for it.  You want your site to be unthrottled, you pay.
Well duh. Combine that with the incredibly high barriers to entry (largely industry created) in the US and you basically have an industry that does not have competition to benefit the consumer. 

Of course, it's the governments fault for being in control of regulation/overseeing the industry, so it (the idea of cost increases/throttling of service) is totally not a byproduct of profit motive, but a byproduct of government interference in the freeeeee market.
Cheeky_Ninja06
+52|6702|Cambridge, England

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Britain's surveillance agency GCHQ, with aid from the US National Security Agency, intercepted and stored the webcam images of millions of internet users not suspected of wrongdoing, secret documents reveal.

GCHQ files dating between 2008 and 2010 explicitly state that a surveillance program codenamed Optic Nerve collected still images of Yahoo webcam chats in bulk and saved them to agency databases, regardless of whether individual users were an intelligence target or not.

In one six-month period in 2008 alone, the agency collected webcam imagery –including substantial quantities of sexually explicit communications – from more than 1.8 million Yahoo user accounts globally.
This is probably America's fault
Government admit to storing sexually explicit images of "more than" 1.8 million citizens.

Yeah its no big deal, nothing to hide and all that.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
It is your government, not mine.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

BVC wrote:

Well duh. Combine that with the incredibly high barriers to entry (largely industry created) in the US and you basically have an industry that does not have competition to benefit the consumer. 

Of course, it's the governments fault for being in control of regulation/overseeing the industry, so it (the idea of cost increases/throttling of service) is totally not a byproduct of profit motive, but a byproduct of government interference in the freeeeee market.
FCC
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3690
Department of Justice
Steve-0
Karma limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+214|3930|SL,UT

Osha
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6602|949

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

BVC wrote:

FCC
Haha it's almost as if I knew you were going to pop in here with some bullshit response.  Please expand on your response.  What are you inferring in replying "FCC"?  I'm too stupid to make the connection so I guess you're going to have to make it for me.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

Jay wrote:

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

FCC
Haha it's almost as if I knew you were going to pop in here with some bullshit response.  Please expand on your response.  What are you inferring in replying "FCC"?  I'm too stupid to make the connection so I guess you're going to have to make it for me.
The FCC controls the bandwidth spectrum limiting each carrier to a narrow band. The amount of bandwidth each carrier possesses is what defines the carriers' size. This is why AT&T is the largest mobile carrier. They rent out their towers and bandwidth to small carriers like the former Metro PCS. Getting the FCC to release more bandwidth is what caused the switchover to digital OTA television signals. This was sold to 'established companies' so the bandwidth wouldn't be 'wasted'.

In a similar fashion, local cable and telephone companies have each been given regional monopolies by state and local governments. They get treated like heavily regulated and heavily taxed utilities. They get the monopoly status to both keep clutter off telephone poles and out of conduits, and because they are easier to control.

So yes, the government is at fault. Both of our basic forms of communication (land lines and radio) have their competition levels minimized by the government.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard