prototype
+52|6282
hey guys I am looking for a good network hard drive for my family, I need something that has 2 or 3TB or more, since the drive will hold all our family videos/pictures and stuff I want to make sure it is reliable so I dont lose everything down the road.

Which one do you guys have or would recommend, This one seems to be the best deal but I dont know.

http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Security-Lo … hard+drive

thanks for any replies
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
I know almost everything now adays does Raid 1 w/ 2 TB so you can just throw four 1 TB drives in, initiate it, and call it a day.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6409|King Of The Islands

Why not buy a NAS and put in WD Reds?
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6294|Graz, Austria
RAID1-capable NAS with two HDD bays
prototype
+52|6282
thanks for all the info guys, seems like all of you think the NAS bay would be the best way to go, which NAS would you recommend and then which HDD should I install, CHEEZ said to buy WD reds, so I will prolly do that, just need to know which NAS is best.

thanks again
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
If you're buying WD Reds, you just need an enclosure. Those are like $100 on amazon.

Western Digital makes some good consumer level all-in-one boxes if you buy their HD's. Depends on the amount of space and features. I'd say 4 TB, raid 1.

I've purchased neither so read up on some reviews and you'll be good.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6538|NYC / Hamburg

Don't trust RAID to protect your data. A single HDD dying isn't the only way data gets lost. I've learned that the hard way. Had a failing PSU fry all my HDDs and obliterate 10TB of data.

So, save your stuff to a second location. Online, HDD, DVD, tape, whatever. I've heard good things about crashplan, but I have no personal experience.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6409|King Of The Islands

"RAID is not a backup"
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6294|Graz, Austria

max wrote:

Don't trust RAID to protect your data. A single HDD dying isn't the only way data gets lost. I've learned that the hard way. Had a failing PSU fry all my HDDs and obliterate 10TB of data.
A RAID setup in a dedicated NAS machine will have its own power supply with energy saving/standby features.
The chances that of the PSU frying the HDDs are very slim.

Definitely slimmer than a HDD failing all by its own after months or years of usage.
And that's where RAID-1 comes in, with mirroring on 2 HDDs.

Speaking about HDDs, a work colleague had a failure recently with a Seagate drive from 2009/2010, where a whole series had a faulty firmware, which caused ~30% of all drives worldwide to fail sooner or later, unless you flashed the firmware in time.
So, you might want to thoroughly check each manufacturers production series.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard