Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6437|King Of The Islands

My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6413|Finland

I had nothing better to do so I put my 4770K on vice and hit it with hammer!

https://i.imgur.com/E29teSl.png
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Cheez

Paste is on the wrong side.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6715|Riva, MD

Cheez wrote:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/cryptolocker-ransomware-information

So this sounds like fun.
Wow, as if the fake FBI one wasn't enough trouble to deal with.  I've had to remove that from mine and three other people's comps already.  Not looking forward to this one at all.
Cheez

Protip for FBI one: It adds itself to the winlogon string in the registry, which is why it starts even in safe mode.

1. Boot into Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
2. explorer
3. Work as usual

Also bitches be smart. Ours are "Australian Federal Police".
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6289|Washington St.
I got a question to those that know/have decent experience with SSD's:

Clearly the main drawback besides price is the duration of the drives, re amount of times they can be written to. What I can't find, however, is exactly how many times that is. I don't need an exact number of course as I'm sure it varies but roughly how long do the drives last? In a normal home computer with internetting and music listening and gaming and pronzing, can one expect a drive to last as long as a normal platter one? Also, I assume advancements are being made daily that 'up' this number so that at some point soon the number will be so high it becomes insignificant.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6147|'straya

pirana6 wrote:

I got a question to those that know/have decent experience with SSD's:

Clearly the main drawback besides price is the duration of the drives, re amount of times they can be written to. What I can't find, however, is exactly how many times that is. I don't need an exact number of course as I'm sure it varies but roughly how long do the drives last? In a normal home computer with internetting and music listening and gaming and pronzing, can one expect a drive to last as long as a normal platter one? Also, I assume advancements are being made daily that 'up' this number so that at some point soon the number will be so high it becomes insignificant.
SSDs last very well these days. Preferably stick to brands like Intel and Samsung that actually manufacture their own memory (and therefore keep the best stuff for themselves).

New Intel SSDs come with a 5 year warranty (and most other companies 3-5 years), which to me says Intel are fairly confident the drives will be reliable and last a long time.

There are no definite numbers, but some sites are running tests. For example, tweaktown had one of their Samsung drives constantly running, it wrote 100TBs without any problems, and was powered on 24/7 for 1000+ hours until they had a power outage. I haven't seen any updates since, however it's another good indication.
Steve-0
Karma limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+214|3958|SL,UT

i've had a 120gb fail (early corsair model). i've replaced it with a Raptor 600gb. i do plan on getting another, a 64gb to be a photoshop scratch disk.

i have an X79 chipset with an 17 3820, 24gb ram - i don't know, but i believe that later chipsets prolly optimize for SSD better.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6289|Washington St.
how long did you have the 120 before it failed? when it did could you get anything off it with non-conventional methods or was it gone for good immediately when it happened?
Steve-0
+214|3958|SL,UT

it started behaving like a platter when it has bad sectors. after a couple of rough boots, it started having a hard time saving, and anything that would page caused it to lock up.

i got 9 months out of it, and i was able to save some files (i've always run 2 logical disks - a boot disc and a data disc. i mirror the data disc) using a usb-sata device, but the disc will not boot. i popped the top off to look at it, and to give the finger to the "Warranty Void if Removed" sticker.

i guess i could've sent it in, but at the time it was worth taking a screwdriver to it. the little fucker . . .
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6289|Washington St.
damn it was a boot disk and it only lasted 9 months? I was considering doing a rebuild and putting the OS on a SSD but if it only lasts less than a year... I might stick to platter.
Steve-0
+214|3958|SL,UT

my guess is, the early chipset and early SSD, plus using the boot disc as a scratch for photoshop.

idunnolol, i found a 600gb raptor for $100 on newegg and have been happy with it.

i've also off loaded the photoshop duties to the gpu, it has made editing pictures faster . . .
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6147|'straya

pirana6 wrote:

damn it was a boot disk and it only lasted 9 months? I was considering doing a rebuild and putting the OS on a SSD but if it only lasts less than a year... I might stick to platter.
His case isn't really the norm.

I had my first SSD as my boot drive in my main PC for 3 years, then I replaced it for a larger one and the old one is still running in my HTPC.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6774|Moscow, Russia

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

I had my first SSD as my boot drive in my main PC for 3 years.
ditto. no problem here.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6715|Riva, MD
Several people have looked at the amount of writes(which are what determine the lifespan of SSDs) that SSDs are rated for, did the math, and found out that even if you were to use a program that constantly writes over and over and over all day every day as quickly as possible, the drive would still last 20+ years, likely longer than than the computer you'll be putting it in.  Under ideal circumstances where the drive was made and put together right, average longevity is not anything to worry about on even the earliest SSDs if they aren't in fact far superior to mechanical hard drives in that aspect.

Unfortunately they've also recently discovered that current SSDs on the market do not handle sudden losses of power very well without getting damaged.  On a laptop where it switches to battery power automatically anyway it's not a problem but it could be more of an issue on a desktop

Last edited by _j5689_ (2014-02-09 02:21:08)

Steve-0
+214|3958|SL,UT

whether it's an SSD or whatever else kind of drive, i think everyone has had a drive go down. it's a PITA if it's a boot drive (i did have an image of the OS install) and i didn't have enough writes or whatever to 'wear it out'.

i bought my first PC in 1993. Drives fail. when this SSD failed on me, i bought a replacement. i don't understand what the big deal is.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6715|Riva, MD
That's what I'm trying to explain to pirana, he seemed to think that SSDs were inherently not as long lasting as regular hard drives
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6289|Washington St.
That's what I thought they were. Whenever anybody discusses them they always feel the need to mention that "there's only so many writes with them" as if they only last a year or summat. I was curious if that was indeed so or they were more practical for personal-everyday use with a home computer.
I don't put a lot of strain on my HD's and I can usually get them to last upwards of a decade so I was hoping - if I rebuilt my computer - to weigh the pros and cons of putting an SSD as the boot drive (and possibly put everything on solid state as all my worldly electronic possessions amount to about 500 GB, an amount attainable via solid disks).
Steve-0
+214|3958|SL,UT

when looking for a replacement, i am seeing 1TB SSd's now. at reasonable (comparatively) prices.

i am an early adopter, my drive failing is not representative, it's anecdotal. i will prolly pick up a 240gb as a stocking stuffer for christmas . . .
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6289|Washington St.
as you said, drives fail. chalking yours up to "amount of writes exceeded" would be dumb.

ill give you my address if you want to put on in my stocking

that sounded really sexual
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6715|Riva, MD
Finally nVidia released some drivers that don't fuck up the GTX 500 series.  Max Payne 3 actually does seem a bit smoother with them as well.

They also have released ShadowPlay Beta with these drivers which allows you to record what you're playing with very very minimal impact on performance but only on GTX 600 and 700 series cards
would a 1 tb ssd be as dependable as a 500 gb ssd?
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6715|Riva, MD
I don't see why not.  The reviews for one of the few 1TB models look pretty good: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6820147251
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5787|Catherine Black

_j5689_ wrote:

Cheez wrote:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/cryptolocker-ransomware-information

So this sounds like fun.
Wow, as if the fake FBI one wasn't enough trouble to deal with.  I've had to remove that from mine and three other people's comps already.  Not looking forward to this one at all.
The FBI (or metropolitan police here in the yoo kay) virus is pretty easy to deal with. I clear 5-10 of these a week at work. Just make a hitman pro kick start pen drive and you're good to go. Other methods include booting to mini xp (I like the Hirens boot disc) and removing the entry (usually "Skype.dat") using Autoruns.

That cryptolocker virus is quite clever in the way it works - it starts encrypting all your files before it even alerts you to the fact it's on the system. By the time it owns up and tells you it's on your system - it's too late, and your files are already encrypted.

Had it happen to a business customer, literally days after we installed a mirror backup solution.

Last edited by Finray (2013-10-29 15:54:33)

https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Steve-0
+214|3958|SL,UT

i have a Hirens, need to update it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard