Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

There is no reason to be upset.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
So when is windows 9 coming out and will it have a proper start menu.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6294|Graz, Austria

Dilbert_X wrote:

So when is windows 9 coming out and will it have a proper start menu.
The announced Windows 8.1 update will reinstate the Start button by default and allows you to directly boot to the oldschool desktop.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8.1#Windows_8.1
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
HAHAHA good ol microsoft

Windows 8.1 preview is available for download... and it brings back the start button!!! huzzah!

...let me just click that start button to see what it brings up...

IT'S JUST THE START SCREEN! hahaha

pirana6 wrote:

it's just a full screen start menu, it's supposed to be like that. how is it that nobody understands this?
Brasso
+1,549|6600

pirana6 wrote:

HAHAHA good ol microsoft

Windows 8.1 preview is available for download... and it brings back the start button!!! huzzah!

...let me just click that start button to see what it brings up...

IT'S JUST THE START SCREEN! hahaha

pirana6 wrote:

it's just a full screen start menu, it's supposed to be like that. how is it that nobody understands this?
lol wtf. just download startisback and be done with it.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6409|King Of The Islands

Brasso wrote:

So what do these third-party apps do?

Can I search by just typing? Does the fucker even respond to the Start key?

Because if it does neither of that it's even fucking stupider than I thought.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Brasso
+1,549|6600

Cheez wrote:

Brasso wrote:

So what do these third-party apps do?

Can I search by just typing? Does the fucker even respond to the Start key?

Because if it does neither of that it's even fucking stupider than I thought.
uhh i don't know, look it up?

from the home page of the site itself:

StartIsBack returns Windows 8 a real fully featured start menu and start button, behaving exactly like the ones in Windows 7.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Cheez

Either press Ctrl+Win (configurable shortcut) or click Start button with mouse wheel
This is literally less convenient than the built in option.

Your shit's all retarded.
Brasso
+1,549|6600

Cheez wrote:

Either press Ctrl+Win (configurable shortcut) or click Start button with mouse wheel
This is literally less convenient than the built in option.

Your shit's all retarded.
literally.

i'm having trouble understanding what you want. the sequence of actions you just described open the WINDOWS EIGHT START MENU. the stupid full screen metro one.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6261|Washington St.
What's wrong with the full-screen start menu? I like it. Yeah it's a change and all change takes time to get used to, but it's completely configurable. You can have what you want, where, and none of what you don't want. The only disadvantage compared to the Win7 one is you can't see behind it to see what's already open.
Brasso
+1,549|6600

pirana6 wrote:

What's wrong with the full-screen start menu? I like it. Yeah it's a change and all change takes time to get used to, but it's completely configurable. You can have what you want, where, and none of what you don't want. The only disadvantage compared to the Win7 one is you can't see behind it to see what's already open.
personally i'm just used to the search function that windows vista/7 introduced. i like not having to switch from "Apps" to "Settings" when, for example, i search for "Mouse settings." it should be pretty intuitive that "Mouse Settings" comes up first, but instead, on Windows 8, it just displays nothing because it searches Apps by default.

i also don't like live tiles. they have the potential to be fairly useful, but i don't like the windows stock tiles (for weather, news, stocks, etc).

i don't like how the new Start menu takes up the whole screen either, like you mentioned.

those are just a few of my gripes from using Windows 8 for approximately 2 weeks, on a secondary laptop.

Last edited by Brasso (2013-07-10 18:31:50)

Cheez

How about this?

https://i.imgur.com/juZ2CLT.jpg
Brasso
+1,549|6600

Cheez wrote:

How about this?

all i get is this

https://i.imgur.com/lYIWJ2D.png

anyway, you seem to just be picking at a solution i posted for people who want the start menu back. no idea why.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
https://cdn.meme.li/instances/300x300/39286934.jpg
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6294|Graz, Austria
I just installed "Start is Back".
Perfect Windows 7 Start Menu substitute including the familiar search function.
Also, it boots directly to the Desktop and maps the Windows button on the keyboard to the Start menu.

I don't have to see those silly tiles ever again.
Brasso
+1,549|6600

globefish23 wrote:

I just installed "Start is Back".
Perfect Windows 7 Start Menu substitute including the familiar search function.
Also, it boots directly to the Desktop and maps the Windows button on the keyboard to the Start menu.

I don't have to see those silly tiles ever again.
thank you

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pi … 4#p3902194
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I don't have Windows 8 yet and I already hate it.

Which is better, Start8 or Startisback ?

Or should I wait for Windows 9 and be forced to buy a touchscreen I don't want either?
This is all the work of hipsters, I'm sure of it.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6745|Moscow, Russia

Dilbert_X wrote:

I don't have Windows 8 yet and I already hate it.

Which is better, Start8 or Startisback ?

Or should I wait for Windows 9 and be forced to buy a touchscreen I don't want either?
This is all the work of hipsters, I'm sure of it.
i installed 8.1 preview on a virtual machine a coupla days ago. same shit different day. you are loosing nothing by not upgrading atm.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6119|'straya
I've used both and I'd probably say startisback. But they are very similar and both make win8 much better.

Last edited by Little BaBy JESUS (2013-10-07 02:43:45)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Shahter wrote:

you are loosing nothing by not upgrading atm.
I don't know, I'm pretty happy with XP but change seems inevitable and I'm concerned 9 could suck worse.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6745|Moscow, Russia
more and more stuff just doesn't work on xp these days. and stuff that work doesn't look like it's been sufficiently tested. i say get 7 and see if you can last till 9.
Brasso
+1,549|6600

win8 with startisback is great. i actually don't have any complaints anymore.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6745|Moscow, Russia

Brasso wrote:

well, it works, yeah, but is there something that makes it a product worth spending money to upgrade to?
Brasso
+1,549|6600

Shahter wrote:

Brasso wrote:

well, it works, yeah, but is there something that makes it a product worth spending money to upgrade to?
hmm. not sure i would spend extra money upgrading as i torrented it. i do like little new additions like the real-time graph when you transfer files and the multiple-image, multimonitor desktop feature. but i don't think i would pay to upgrade, nope.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6745|Moscow, Russia

Brasso wrote:

little new additions
and that, imo, describes everything about so called "new operating systems" which were released by microsoft since xp. if not for the lack of support there wouldn't be a reason to upgrade to any of those.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard