Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6138|'straya
The only boards I see with PCI these days are low-end boards that are keeping costs down but put PCI slots on there to look like they still have Allz the slotzz! !1!. Higher end boards have done away with PCI entirely.

Last edited by Little BaBy JESUS (2013-10-03 20:19:33)

_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6706|Riva, MD
All boards should do away with it entirely, is it that much more costly for them to just put all PCI-e x1 ports instead?  What a waste of space
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6138|'straya
I'm sure they have their reasons. The kind of people that buy cheap boards generally aren't the people running expansion sound cards/RAID cards/network cards and as soon as you hit ~$150 AUD you're getting 2/3 x1 slots + 2/3 x16 slots, so you don't exactly need to drop a tonne of money. There's no harm keeping a PCI slot or two on a board when you've already got 5/6 PCIe slots.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6706|Riva, MD
I'm mostly looking at $150 to $200 boards from Gigabyte and ASUS on Newegg.  It's just straight up disappointing.  I want a decently spec'ed board with modern ports but I don't want to have to pay $200 or $300+ for an enthusiast-grade motherboard.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding what's considered cheap for motherboards but I always assumed that meant all of those little Micro/Mini/other word for small ATX or ITX boards that you can get for like $75 that have a basic set of ports as a replacement mobo.

I guess I'm kind of making a big deal about PCI ports but I really don't remember there being so many on mobos sold in the upper end of the $100 price range last time I was looking and it's just a huge waste of potential for something very few people should still be using in 2013.  Like I said before, it doesn't help that they're putting the x1 ports in really stupid places either like right next to the x16 port so it can be blocked by a double-slot graphics card.  They just need to design these things better and drop PCI once and for all in favor of x1, there's really not too many things that don't use it now and it's so much better.  It's very frustrating when everything else in the computer can be changed or adapted perfectly and the motherboard screams compromise by design.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6280|Washington St.
The keep PCI slots on there because so many things still use them. Not that pieces are coming out NOW that use them, but that there are a half zillion cards that still use PCI that people need.
It's the same reason why some MB's still have VGA or IDE.

Anyway, in my experience, look to spend $250 on a MB if you want a nice one.
But that's just my 2 cents
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6428|King Of The Islands

I haven't seen IDE in 2 years.

I cannot fathom what is better than what's in a Z77/Z87-D3H (~$180), unless you want to multi GPU. In which case. No you don't. 115x boards are shit for that.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6706|Riva, MD
Does Rosewill actually make good power supplies?  All of their reviews seem really solid but I've only known them to sell really cheap shitty versions of everything else that they make.  I've seen keyboards, mice and speakers from them that felt like they belonged in a Happy Meal.  This makes me extremely hesitant to buy something like a power supply from them but still

Thinking about getting this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6817182169

Edit: nvm, the reviews have me completely sold, it looks like this is the best one you could possibly get for the amount of power it's rated for

Last edited by _j5689_ (2013-10-06 01:38:54)

Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6138|'straya
They've generally made trash PSUs in the past but this seems to be decent quality and being 80+ Platinum it's bound to have decent components (is a Super Flower OEM and they're doing pretty decent PSUs these days).

That said, what kind of build are you doing? A good quality 500w is generally plenty for a single GPU build, but considering it's price unless you're going after a silent build a Seasonic 650w Gold would probably be a better choice to give you a bit of extra headroom and it is also cheaper.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6817151118

Obviously if you're planning on multi-GPU you're going to need more power again but that's a different story.

/my opinion.

Last edited by Little BaBy JESUS (2013-10-06 01:49:11)

_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6706|Riva, MD
Yeah, my build won't really require too much according to the power usage calculator I used.  I just need to power my current GTX 560 Ti and maybe leave a little bit of headroom for an upgrade but I don't really know what I'll get.  My cousin has a 650 Ti and all-around better specs than me other than that(which says a lot going from my current Q9550 and 4GB of DDR2 to his 3rd gen i7 w/ 16GB of DDR3) and he can max out everything he plays(although that currently doesn't include BF3 or many other recent games as far as I know).  In other words my card should be good for a while I think

As for the CPU, I figure why not go all the way with an i7-4770K: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6819116901

For the motherboard I found this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6813131992

Here's the RAM, which has me really wishing I'd bought some DDR3 ahead of time when it was still cheap: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6820104169

And this will be the case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6811139012

I'll probably replace the rear 120mm exhaust fan it comes with with this 140mm case fan from Noctua: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6835608044

For the hard drive I'm gonna be re-using the 4TB Western Digital I bought a month or two ago that I currently have, which I didn't even realize when I bought it, would be limited to only 2TB due to lack of UEFI on my current P45 motherboard

For OS, I'm still not sure whether I wanna do W7 or 8.1 yet

Last edited by _j5689_ (2013-10-06 02:18:19)

Tdog2007
Giggity Giggity
+25|6702|US
Not really a tech ?, more software, but what would you guys recommend for a second web browser besides chrome? I have Firefox already.

Just need something to sit on the second monitor and play pandora while I game. Could figure out how to setup seperate firefox profile or whatever I guess.

Reason for no chrome is because its 'updating' service strangles my cpu 60% of the time and don't think there's a way to force it off besides uninstall.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6280|Washington St.
How come you need a separate ff profile to play pandora? Hell, I'd just use IE for that. People only complain about IE when it doesn't load some page they want, or does so slowly. If it plays pandora, why not? Or just use ff.
Tdog2007
Giggity Giggity
+25|6702|US
Well, ff i want to open on the main monitor all the time and not have to fart with that bit when I go looking for something and its on the wrong monitor. And I'd like it on the second, so when something comes up that sounds good I can write it down quick and keep going without alt-tabbing.

Could use ie too.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6280|Washington St.
I'd say just IE. It's not asking it to do much and compared to FF it doesn't hog ram so you're better for gaming. If you really wanted to go through the trouble, Opera would work too, but in this case, I don't see any advantage to it over IE
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6313|Graz, Austria
Steve-0
Karma limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+214|3949|SL,UT

jesus wept, why is opera slower than the other browsers?
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6280|Washington St.
who uses opera? What does it have that IE, FF, Chrome, (and Safari...) don't have?
Steve-0
Karma limited. Contact Admin to Be Promoted.
+214|3949|SL,UT

a log in to bf2s that isn't banned.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6280|Washington St.
*thirteenanned
TravisC555
+118|6208|Cox Convention Center, OK

Tdog2007 wrote:

Well, ff i want to open on the main monitor all the time and not have to fart with that bit when I go looking for something and its on the wrong monitor. And I'd like it on the second, so when something comes up that sounds good I can write it down quick and keep going without alt-tabbing.

Could use ie too.
Right click on tab with pandora > Select move to new window > move new window to second monitor? Would be how I would do that.

e: Quicker way I just found out, drag the pandora tab onto second monitor and ff moves it to a new window on the 2nd monitor or just use the pandora desktop app mentioned above.

Last edited by TravisC555 (2013-10-12 16:17:20)

mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6644

Remember when HDDs had to have jumpers on them for all this slave/master bullshit?

Anyway, putting together a wishlist for a new rig in the distant future, for shits and giggles. Please tell me that higher numbers = better when it comes to Intel chips? i7 4770k seems to be the CPU I'm looking at, though I saw a 2600 for about the same price (which I'm hoping is because of limited stock because it's old).

Currently, I have a 650W PSU. Seems to be good enough for my current setup (Quad Core Q9550, Nvidia GTX 460, 2 HDDs, an SSD, DVD-ROM, and 4x2GB RAM). I take it this will probably be enough for whatever new mobo+cpu+gpu+ram I get? No plans on going SLI.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6138|'straya
650w is still plenty for a single GPU build.

Generally speaking the larger number = better performance. However there is no real gaming performance increase between the i5 4670K and the i7 4770K. The i7 is only worth the extra money if you're banking on future games taking advantage of it's extra power/hyperthreading (bf4 already seems to play better with hyperthreading so who knows). Or if you do more demanding tasks with your PC than gaming.

AMD is about to launch their new flagship GPU so the video card market will change soon as well (in terms of prices at the very least).

Last edited by Little BaBy JESUS (2013-10-14 00:52:31)

mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6644

This will be my first upgrade in a long time, so I'm looking to go all out and future-proof as much as possible. I do edit/export videos, do some audio work as well, so I don't think the extra processing power will be wasted. But still, I'll compare prices when it comes down to it and keep that i5 in mind.

Will also check up on reviews for the AMD cards. I've had a few ATI cards over the years but just one NVIDIA, and this thing has lasted me so much longer. Also liking their Geforce Experience program, pretty handy. But again, will still keep a lookout on the ATI things, hopefully they deliver.

This shit changes so much, guess it'll be fun to dive back into the tech world for a few months.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6138|'straya
AMD's cards are shaping up to be pretty decent (R9 290X performing around GTX780/GTX Titan), however there should be a price drop on some Nvidia cards anyway so either way it will be better in a month or so.
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6313|Graz, Austria
Also remember that AMD is going to release their Mantle hardware-level API.
Like 3DFx' Glide back in the day.

Should give a drastic performance increase for AMD 7xxx series cards and onwards.
DICE's Frostbite engine has it built in, and it's likely that others will support it as well.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6138|'straya
and since the next-gen consoles have 8 core AMD architecture, chances are that multi-threaded performance will improve for coming games for AMD's 8 cores and Intel's hyper-threaded CPUs.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard