Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5148|Sydney
Being appalled at the lack of a minster for science, only the second time in 85 years, is gossip?

Last edited by Jaekus (2013-09-17 04:43:25)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Its hugely entertaining, all the wars and bombings which seem part and parcel of US politics somewhat reduce the hilarity value.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

Jaekus wrote:

Being appalled at the lack of a minster for science, only the second time in 85 years, is gossip?
Yes, you all talk like every detail is life or death. Americans by and large ignore politics outside of presidential elections.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
In case you aren't aware we had an election a week and a half ago.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

Jaekus wrote:

In case you aren't aware we had an election a week and a half ago.
not only that theyre still shuffling positions which are active within 2 weeks... were not like the US which waits from November to feb to switch gov.

Last edited by Cybargs (2013-09-17 04:55:58)

https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
A change of government is always something to talk about. Especially when the changes to the ministry portfolios are as follows:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/555834_720031018022936_1636545240_n.jpg

It's something to note here that Australia is the driest inhabited continent in the world, so a minster for water is quite important. Especially with the Murray-Darling river system being vital to a core of Australia's agriculture industry. Rationing of water quotas had been vital for decades now, since it flows at 1% of what it used to.

The other portfolios shouldn't need explanation to their importance. Minister for sport? wtf

Last edited by Jaekus (2013-09-17 05:11:02)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686
hey australia needs more gold medals at the olympics and weve been shit at rugby and cricket now
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jay wrote:

Yes, you all talk like every detail is life or death. Americans by and large ignore politics outside of presidential elections.
But then your election campaign runs for about two years out of four.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6744|Noizyland

Australia, say hello to your new Minister for Women.

I. Shit. You. Not.

The Coalition government has published the fine print of its ministerial arrangements, revealing what has actually happened to the portfolios that went missing in Tony Abbott's pared back ministerial titles.

The new prime minister himself has taken primary responsibility for women's issues, which under Labor were handled by the families minister, Jenny Macklin.

"Women's policies and programs" as well as Indigenous affairs, deregulation, national security and relations with state governments are all specified responsibilities of Tony Abbott, who has appointed West Australian senator Michaelia Cash as minister assisting the prime minister for women...
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/s … -portfolio
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Could we have a minister for blokes please.
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
On a lack of comprehension it is 1 to dilbert.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6744|Noizyland

I think it takes a severely deranged mind to see, (or not see,) the significant problems one has on women's issues and conclude that you should be the man in charge of women's affairs. What could he possibly be thinking? I can't imagine that Tony Abbott stood up and said "Minister for Women, that should be me right - because I have not-bad-looking daughters" and no-one thought to maybe take issue with that.

This is a man with quotes like "I think there does need to be give and take on both sides, and this idea that sex is kind of a woman’s right to absolutely withhold, just as the idea that sex is a man’s right to demand I think they both need to be moderated, so to speak." A man who has referred to abortion as 'a matter of the mother's convenience'. A man who has dismissed women in leadership roles because of 'physiological reasons'. A man who opposes the cervical cancer vaccine for his own daughters. Who seems to seriously over-emphasise the importance of virginity as a women's issue. Who has a history of intimidating female political opponents, (one would hope he's grown up since his university days though I haven't seen evidence of it.) Who made no apology for effectively endorsing protesters calling the country's first female PM a bitch and a witch, who made no move to reprimand MPs for taunting her for being 'barren', and provided nothing but excuses when her anatomy was vulgarly joked about at a party fundraiser. Then there's the multitudes of gaffes and idiotic phrases. Houswives of Australia doing the ironing, sex appeal, body contact, not-bad-looking daughters, joking with a station's only female firefighter that she 'must be popular'. And now there's the fact that under his leadership he has found himself in a position where he only has one women he can realistically appoint to a senior leadership role.

The man's mentality and understanding of women is stuck somewhere between early high school and the 1940s. He must have bought into the the LNP excuse-making or the Murdoch Media bullshit parading Margie and the girls around under headlines like "My Tony understands women" if he thinks he can be the Minister for Women. If that's the case then he is far more deluded and psychotic than even I would have thought.

I also think it's a bit of an insult to Julie Bishop that she wasn't the natural choice given she's the only one without a dick in cabinet, (allegedly.) Julie Bishop, the token woman. Always the loyal deputy, never even rumoured to be a possible future leader. Seriously, in the rare times when Liberal leadership does rear its head all we hear about is Turnbull taking over or Hockey taking over or even Mal Brough - but never Bishop. Yet she continually defends the Coalition on this front parroting the exact same lines of the blue ties around her. Never ruffling any feathers. It's been a good strategy for her, I'd imagine had she tried anything else she would have been abandoned long ago. I keep on thinking of that scene in The Dark Knight when ever she opens her mouth:

"Don't talk like one of them, you're not! Even if you'd like to be... They need you right now but when they don't, they'll cast you out. Like a leper! "

Very prophetic.

Anyway the new Abbott Government is turning out to be more hilariously bad than even I thought it would be. Early days yet of course. Good times.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Minister for Women? Why does that exist?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6744|Noizyland

Because women, making up over 50% of the population, need representation in Parliament. As they do not have proportional representation it is the role of the Minister for Women to ensure women's issues get a fair hearing. That's the gist of it anyway. Same goes for roles like Minister for Indigenous Affairs, (which, due to some bizarre turn of events, is also Tony Abbott.)
[Blinking eyes thing]
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
So have more women run for Parliament? If it was really an issue more of them would run, no?
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
It's not like it is up to the party to select who they want to run, is it?
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS

Jaekus wrote:

It's not like it is up to the party to select who they want to run, is it?
errr yes it is? that's the whole point of pre-selection, and we saw in greenway what happens when that goes wrong

on the whole women in cabinet thing: i do think this has been a liiitle overblown, simply because (a) tony abbott has kept basically the same cabinet for three years and (b) he said he wouldn't be making any major changes. yes there were more women in his frontbench team before the election but are 2/19 (potentially) and 1/19 really that different?

there is a problem with female representation in politics but this is more an (a) factional issue (most lib women belong to the turnbull moderate faction cf. sharman stone) (b) preselection issue (it's the liberal party ffs) and (c) general "which woman would be crazy enough to get into politics after seeing how female politicians are treated in general (on both sides)" issue.

so while i don't dispute the fact that abbott is a bit of a chauvinist shitbag, i don't think that's the most important point to be taken here.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6118|'straya
I could've sworn I detected invisible [sarcasm] tags around his post
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6592|Little Bentcock
Jake is never sarcastic LBJ.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I don't think there are enough asians in the cabinet.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6744|Noizyland

What's your point?
[Blinking eyes thing]
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Australia has lots of asians, there should be more in the cabinet, at least there should be a minister for asians.

There should never have been a 'Minister for Women' or any other specific group, its retarded.
All this whining that there isn't one now is dumb.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2013-09-19 04:41:56)

Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney

Adams_BJ wrote:

Jake is never sarcastic LBJ.
Nevvvvvvverrrrrrrr evvvvvvvvvveeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6744|Noizyland

It's not just about proportionate representation. Ministerial portfolios arise because there is a need for them. That is why portfolios like Indigenous Affairs and Women's Affairs exist; because matters important to both groups weren't being properly addressed. If you have a better solution I'd like to hear it.

Anyway, I'm going to take a break and bask in the realisation that this is an actual excerpt from Hansard in NSW Parliament:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUjqeQ4CQAAtaWA.jpg
[Blinking eyes thing]
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

Dilbert_X wrote:

Australia has lots of asians, there should be more in the cabinet, at least there should be a minister for asians.

There should never have been a 'Minister for Women' or any other specific group, its retarded.
All this whining that there isn't one now is dumb.
http://www.omi.wa.gov.au/

fucking moron.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard