I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5148|Sydney

Ty wrote:

I think you're delusional.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS
dilbert in talking absolute crap shocker
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX

Gillard wrote:

"Losing power can bring forth a pain that hits you like a fist,"

"Losing power is felt physically, emotionally, in waves of sensation, in moments of acute distress,"
None of you find it weird that its about "power"?

OK.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

Dilbert_X wrote:

Gillard wrote:

"Losing power is felt physically, emotionally, in waves of sensation, in moments of acute distress,"

OK.
dude she lost her fucking job and got kicked out by people she trusted the most, of course she'd feel shitty.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6744|Noizyland

I guess you're the only normal person here Dilbert. Sorry to be the one to tell you.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
A normal person would have said something along the lines of:
"I was sorry to go, I could have done a bit more, disappointed more people didn't support me in what I was trying to do"

Instead of:

"My Power! My beautiful power! I don't have my Power!"

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2013-09-16 01:19:48)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6122|what

Cybargs wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Gillard wrote:

OK.
dude she lost her fucking job and got kicked out by people she trusted the most, of course she'd feel shitty.
She did that to Rudd so has lost some sympathy from me.

Though I think Rudd was a colossal dickhead for dropping his "greatest moral challenge of our time" from his agenda.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6592|Little Bentcock
What's all this whining about not enough women in the cabinet? If I was Tony I'd choose the beat person for the job regardless of sex and thats what it has looked like he's done. The problem is the depths of women in the roster who may be capable but don't have the experience, not the point that he didn't put a woman in a cabinet position.
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
No minister for science. Kinda surprised he doesn't have a minister for religion instead.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

Jaekus wrote:

No minister for science. Kinda surprised he doesn't have a minister for religion instead.
even bush was more supportive of science. come on tony, dont be a dick.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
Apparently the minister for science was formed in 1928 and apart from a few weeks during WWII it has been in affect ever since, until now.

Already Abbott's government is a fucking joke.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686
he should just let the labour minister for science keep his job.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6744|Noizyland

Dilbert_X wrote:

A normal person would have said something along the lines of:
"I was sorry to go, I could have done a bit more, disappointed more people didn't support me in what I was trying to do"

Instead of:

"My Power! My beautiful power! I don't have my Power!"
I can see how you read it that way but that's clearly a deliberate misinterpretation that fits your own thoughts on Gillard. You're right in thinking that no-one would say something as you have put it; they wouldn't and Gillard wouldn't. Given that do you really think that was the intent? I mean your first line sure, that's the kind of thing someone says in a televised sound-bite. But Gillard was making a descriptive point in an essay and if you've spoken to anyone who's held high office and lost power it's pretty accurate too. Read a political memoir or to save time just read the chapter about when they lost power, it's a similar story. For someone who has power and to suddenly have it taken away, (as opposed to standing down or retiring,) it is always a tough blow. Look at how Ian Macdonald reacted just to missing out on a cabinet position. Describing the feeling honestly is just that, it's a tall order to suggest it an indicator of some sociopathic nature. If you want to try and highlight the real sociopaths look for the ones who are bitter, who blame, and who deny any responsibility when they lose power, not the ones who openly and honestly describe how they felt.

Also, how many fucking Ian Macdonalds are there in Australian politics?

Two I guess. Still too many.

So no Science Minister? Ahh Australia. One of the few places that would make sure to have a Sports Minister but reason that's its probably not all that important to have a Minister for something as trivial as science.

The whole women thing isn't particularly indicative of Abbott, the truth is the LNP has always marginalised women so he had precious few experienced women to work with. If he promoted one of the less experienced female LNP MPs to cabinet they wouldn't be suited for the role and he has a responsibility and a personal need to appoint people who know what they're doing - to some degree at least. He has a few women in the outer ministry and if he's smart he'll use these positions to foster a bit of experience in the female membership of his party. There's Nash and Cash, (who are either a crime-fighting duo or a pair of comical bank robbers I can never remember,) as well as Ley and Payne in the outer ministry while Fierravanti-Wells is an assistant, (though she's in the doghouse.) If their talents can be fostered a little but the LNP may have a better male:female leadership ratio in the future. At the moment though Abbott really doesn't have much of a choice.

Bronwyn Bishop beaing speaker is interesting, firstly because she wanted to be a minister rather than a speaker and also because the notion that she could restore 'dignity to the house' as Abbott puts it is laughable.  She's a confrontational slugger, she's got exactly the wrong temperament to be a controlling and calming influence in the house. In fairness though I wouldn't want to have to deal with her in cabinet either.

Three people were prominent standing in front of that "Bob Brown's Bitch" sign, one of them is hopefully gone, the other's now the PM, and the last is now the Speaker.

The no women in cabinet thing kind of proves Gillard's point of a few months ago though. If people weren't so outraged about her brutal slander of blue neckware maybe they would have actually got the point and realised that yeah, the LNP in particular actually needs a bit of a boot up its arse to actually include some 'women of calibre'. They're a complete old boys club and it'll take quite a bit of time to remedy that.

Personally I think it's a positive indication about said women of calibre that they seem to know enough to avoid any association with the LNP.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1273375_10151860970203469_1959233568_o.jpg
Adams_BJ
C'mon Jake, he picked the best person for the job. Sex shouldn't have anything to do with it.
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
"I think it would be folly to expect that women will ever dominate or even approach equal representation in a large number of areas simply because their aptitudes, abilities and interests are different for physiological reasons." - Tony Abbott
Adams_BJ

Adams_BJ wrote:

C'mon Jake, he picked the best person for the job. Sex shouldn't have anything to do with it.
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
He put a minister in for sport and not one for science. That immediately displays flawed judgement.
Adams_BJ
That's better. I heard that he has simplified the portfolio names somewhat, but I don't know the details. Having the Industry or Education portfolios covering it I believe. And really, as long as it is covered, I don't mind what they call it. Seems like it's just something to draw attention to after the "One woman in cabinet" got justified.

e: That being said, if Sciences have in fact been put on the back burner on not just incorporated that is very, very bad judgement.

Last edited by Adams_BJ (2013-09-16 23:01:23)

Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
His own MPs are criticising him - Liberal backbencher Dennis Jensen hits out at science 'confusion' in new ministry
Tony Abbott is facing more dissent from within Coalition ranks, with Liberal MP Dennis Jensen criticising not only his leader's decisions regarding the placement of portfolios but also the incoming government's signature policy on paid parental leave.

Dr Jensen, the Member for the West Australian seat of Tangney, has told ABC News 24 he is "confused" about which minister will handle the science portfolio.

Yesterday, Mr Abbott said science would "largely" be in the industry portfolio, under incoming minister Ian Macfarlane.

But Dr Jensen, who had expressed interest in taking on the responsibility, believes some of it will be within education.

"I'm somewhat confused about what's happened with the science portfolio. It's not just completely with the industry portfolio, there's parts of it within education which will make it a somewhat schizophrenic policy area," he said.

"This is something that to me is strange.

The Prime Minister-elect has revealed the make-up of his first ministry, including some "significant promotions" but a "disappointing" number of women.

"I mean we've got a Minister for Sport for God's sake, but we don't have a Minister for Science."

Dr Jensen, who has a PhD in materials science and physics and worked as a research scientist at the CSIRO before entering Parliament, says the area of science is in "crisis".

"There are numerous issues related to science that need to have a very clear focus, and certainly splitting it into two portfolios is not going to provide that clear focus," he said.

"It appears that we don't have a coherent policy on it.

"I guess this is the problem with not having people of scientific bent in decision-making processes, where people don't understand science generally."

Australia's Chief Scientist, Professor Ian Chubb, says he has concerns that the delivery and development of science is already too fragmented.

"Already it's spread across multiple budget lines; at the last count we had something over 70 spread over something to the order of 14 portfolios and we could miss things if we aren't strategic in the way we go about it," he told ABC TV News.
He hasn't even been sworn in and already there's dissent within his ranks. Karma's a bitch.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686
i wish tony could just be a good puppet and let the big boys deal with the real work.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Jaekus wrote:

A Catholic misogynist? Who'd have thought...

Ty wrote:

Personally I think it's a positive indication about said women of calibre that they seem to know enough to avoid any association with the LNP.
And there's that.

Still, Gillard didn't exactly lead by example for women, and then there's her 'partner'.

Former Prime Minister Julia Gillard issued a personal cheque worth $4,243 to the Department of Finance because Tim Mathieson had misused her taxpayer-funded car, The Australian exclusively reports. Late in 2012, a whistleblower tipped The Australian that Mr Mathieson was heavily using the taxpayer-funded car as he worked as PPS Hairwear salesman.

The misuse happened in breach of parliamentary rules when Mr Mathieson drove the car around Victoria selling shampoo and other haircare products. Mr Mathieson is a hairdresser and had started seeing Ms Gillard back in 2006. After the period when their relationship became official, Mr Mathieson worked for PPS Hairwear and drove around Victoria. Under the parliamentary rules, Mr Mathieson is allowed to use the car provided he will not use it for personal business.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6744|Noizyland

It seems most politicians get nabbed for mis-using entitlements at least once. Kind of brings into perspective the $900 of taxi vouchers that got Peter Slipper in so much trouble though. So does the $9,000 plus that Abbott spent flying around promoting his book 'Battlelines'. And that's something he did as opposed to something his partner did. Both Abbott and Gillard repaid of course, Slipper too. Why was everyone so mad at him again? Oh right, "shell-less mussels" and that sexual harassment issue that turned out to be a fantasy dreamed up by James Ashby and Mal Brough in order to destroy Slipper politically. Good thing it got exposed and they didn't get away with that one.

--

Dennis Jensen doesn't care about the lack of a Science Minister, he's just pissed because he thinks he should be Science Minister because he's a real scientist - i.e., he earned a PhD studying ceramics and worked at the CSIRO for a bit. No-one else thinks he schould be Science Minister thankfully. Probably not just because he's a climate change denier but he's also a colossal twat who boycotted the national apology for the stolen generations saying that Australian Indigenous people affected by European colonisation should quote, "get over it". Just the kind of person who'd look good in Abbott's cabinet.

But hey, if we're continuing the media mood from before the election, CHAOS! DESTABILISATION! DISUNITY IN LABOR LIBERAL RANKS!
[Blinking eyes thing]
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I'll tell Mr Murdoch for you.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England
Seriously, you all talk like women gossiping about the real housewives. You bash our political system but I think it's because it's just not entertaining enough for you.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard