Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6687
i can see that.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6745|Noizyland

Dilbert_X wrote:

Ty wrote:

Most of those kind-of-crazy parties are just for the Senate right?
No, the Greens have candidates for both houses...
I suppose you can't be blamed for straight lines lobbed right over the plate like that...

If I could vote in this election I'd like to think I'd vote policy and substance over any vendetta I may have against Tony Abbott - and I truly hate the man. I certainly wouldn't preference the Liberals after some of the xenophobic half-wits that make up part of your list there.

I like Xenophon though. Not as a person, honestly the more I hear from him the more I just instinctively dislike him. But policy-wise he's like if Labor considered things more, the Coalition weren't psychotic, and the Greens weren't hysterical, (I mean that in a medical sense rather than a comedy sense.) His policies are fairly limited given his situation but generally agreeable. I do think his stance on wind energy is bullshit given he gives credit to that Vibroacoustic Disease schite but everything else is pretty solid. Not sure how much support he'll get from outside SA as he's very state-focussed.

Though if he held the balance of power the one thing apparently desired by both major parties as well as businesses, (i.e. stability,) would go out the window. Xenophon's a guy who would call Abbott's bluff to dissolve parliament over passing his 'signature' legislation, (which Xenophon doesn't support,) and be thrilled if he went through with it.

Good to know there might be something to look forward to even if I don't get to celebrate an Abbott defeat on election night.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
I'd like to not vote for all of them, but Xenophobe has a wacky preference distribution so there we go.

I guess you don't have much experience with wogs, once you get used to them you can understand where he's coming from a bit better.
But yeah, it is instinctive to dislike them
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5149|Sydney
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1001256_503764113047183_1634789723_n.jpg
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6745|Noizyland

That about sums it up.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Jaekus
+957|5149|Sydney
Today's Telegraph said the following "And, as always, The Sunday Telegraph will be here as a critical voice for our readers. We are not, and have never been, cheerleaders for any one side of politics."

The front cover of today's Telegraph.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1014226_709450135747691_1790989806_n.jpg
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
dat photoshop
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6745|Noizyland

As I've said before Tony Abbott becoming PM won't impact me personally but an Abbott victory does concern me in that it shows how much a single-minded press with ulterior motives can essentially subvert democracy. That is a huge concern for me. Since Julia Gillard announced the election the media has been presenting it as a foregone conclusion. It has stepped up massively since Rudd's return to a degree where it comes across almost as satire. The Murdoch Media is one thing but when Sportsbet are paying out on the election result more than a week before the election it is evidence something is seriously wrong. It seems to back up the thought that if you tell people what's going to happen enough they will act in a way to ensure what you say comes to pass.

The Sportsbet thing is insane - why would a betting agency pay out early? They certainly won't give me money for betting on the All Blacks for their next game against the Wallabies even though it would be fair to conclude that the All Blacks will win, (Labor has won two Federal Elections since the Wallabies last won against the All Blacks in New Zealand.) Their motive is even more obvious than Murdoch's - Labor has begun portraying themselves as the party to rectify, (and I do mean rectify,) the prominence of gambling in Australian culture. So of course Sportsbet would want to suggest the LNP has already won. They fact that they are doing in such a blatant way should alarm people, but it doesn't seem to be.

Of course a lot of this is caused by the focus across all media outlets on polling. News Ltd. realises this which is the reason they have ramped up polling and saturated all coverage of anything of relavence. We're pretty much getting two Newspolls a week and everyone seemingly can't help themselves so end up discussing them endlessly. Yet no-one seems to want to point out just how flawed they are. Each Newspoll only surveys 1000 people. It also only conducts these surveys over a landline. It also conducts these polls at certain times on the weekend. They know this - that's why instead of basing the result on what they get they end up having to weight the results to reflect the demographics they didn't survey, young voters in particular. It is a hugely flawed process yet it gets endlessly superficially analysed and studied without anyone actually questioning them. There doesn't even seem to be any realisation that they are polls controlled by Murdoch who has been spitting out editorial front pages like the one above, (and much much worse,) showing a clear agenda. No-one's willing to question it though because it means out going out on a limb and potentially exposing yourself to legal and other action. Clive Palmer gets away with it because he's rich and no-one takes anything he says seriously.

Anyway, only a week left. If Rudd wins I'll be pleased that rationality and common sense isn't dead and media interests can't subvery the democratic process. If Abbott wins I'll be happy because it means the political landscape will continue to be as provoking and hilariously interesting as it has been. I mean there will actually be a man chairing the UN Security Council who will have to sit down with both sides of the Syrian conflict with the common knowledge that he has described both as 'baddies'. That's fucking hilarious, made even more-so because of Christopher Pyne's insistence that Abbott realising that conflicts aren't just about 'goodies versus baddies shows he has, and I quote, "a very deep understanding of the situation". It's going to be a great time to be a political satirist.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6687
fuck i shouldve placed my bets yeah i find it funny that people can bet on election results, its pretty lulz.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

Ty wrote:

As I've said before Tony Abbott becoming PM won't impact me personally but an Abbott victory does concern me in that it shows how much a single-minded press with ulterior motives can essentially subvert democracy. That is a huge concern for me. Since Julia Gillard announced the election the media has been presenting it as a foregone conclusion. It has stepped up massively since Rudd's return to a degree where it comes across almost as satire. The Murdoch Media is one thing but when Sportsbet are paying out on the election result more than a week before the election it is evidence something is seriously wrong. It seems to back up the thought that if you tell people what's going to happen enough they will act in a way to ensure what you say comes to pass.

The Sportsbet thing is insane - why would a betting agency pay out early? They certainly won't give me money for betting on the All Blacks for their next game against the Wallabies even though it would be fair to conclude that the All Blacks will win, (Labor has won two Federal Elections since the Wallabies last won against the All Blacks in New Zealand.) Their motive is even more obvious than Murdoch's - Labor has begun portraying themselves as the party to rectify, (and I do mean rectify,) the prominence of gambling in Australian culture. So of course Sportsbet would want to suggest the LNP has already won. They fact that they are doing in such a blatant way should alarm people, but it doesn't seem to be.

Of course a lot of this is caused by the focus across all media outlets on polling. News Ltd. realises this which is the reason they have ramped up polling and saturated all coverage of anything of relavence. We're pretty much getting two Newspolls a week and everyone seemingly can't help themselves so end up discussing them endlessly. Yet no-one seems to want to point out just how flawed they are. Each Newspoll only surveys 1000 people. It also only conducts these surveys over a landline. It also conducts these polls at certain times on the weekend. They know this - that's why instead of basing the result on what they get they end up having to weight the results to reflect the demographics they didn't survey, young voters in particular. It is a hugely flawed process yet it gets endlessly superficially analysed and studied without anyone actually questioning them. There doesn't even seem to be any realisation that they are polls controlled by Murdoch who has been spitting out editorial front pages like the one above, (and much much worse,) showing a clear agenda. No-one's willing to question it though because it means out going out on a limb and potentially exposing yourself to legal and other action. Clive Palmer gets away with it because he's rich and no-one takes anything he says seriously.

Anyway, only a week left. If Rudd wins I'll be pleased that rationality and common sense isn't dead and media interests can't subvery the democratic process. If Abbott wins I'll be happy because it means the political landscape will continue to be as provoking and hilariously interesting as it has been. I mean there will actually be a man chairing the UN Security Council who will have to sit down with both sides of the Syrian conflict with the common knowledge that he has described both as 'baddies'. That's fucking hilarious, made even more-so because of Christopher Pyne's insistence that Abbott realising that conflicts aren't just about 'goodies versus baddies shows he has, and I quote, "a very deep understanding of the situation". It's going to be a great time to be a political satirist.
Get over yourself and the fiction that is objectivity. Everything is slanted one way or another. Stop being butthurt because they stopped being subtle about it.

"Oh the media used to be so much better! It used to be OBJECTIVE!!!!"

Never in history has any form of journalism been objective. Everything is influenced by the knowledge and opinions of the writer and editor. Every group of people in history has attempted to surround itself with like-minded people because hey, guess what? conflict is unproductive in the workplace. Conservative leaning news sources attract conservative leaning reporters. Liberal leaning news sources attract liberal leaning reporters. Aren't you a journalist yourself? You've been writing massive posts here bitching about the political situation in Australia for months now, and while you think you're presenting an objective, outsiders perspective, you're just as much rah rah labour as they are rah rah whatever Abbott is.

You are shaped by your opinions, your family, the books you've read, your friends, your coworkers etc. You might appear objective to them, but to anyone that doesn't share your narrow viewpoint you are not objective. Please stop with the outrage. You're either an idealist (and thus an idiot), or naive (enjoy this eye-opening bit of news then). Get over it.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6745|Noizyland

I think you completely missed my point which wasn't about objectivity at all.

Edit: This is quite good. http://ruddorabbott.com/
[Blinking eyes thing]
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Media hasa always been used by the barons to push their world view onto the plebs (paid for by advertising, once again to the plebs, so the plebs are paying to be indoctrinated ahahaha) - why is this a surprise?
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6745|Noizyland

Why do I get the feeling that no-one read beyond the first paragraph and just assumed I was going somewhere where I did not.

TL;DL

First paragraph: Media bias evident in this election and the strategy behind it as indicated by Sportsbet.
Second paragraph: Why I think Sportsbet's decision to pay out on the election result early is both a reflection and example of this strategy.
Third  paragraph: How data gathering for Newpoll polling is flawed and why discussing it endlessly is not useful in determining any actual situation.
Fourth paragraph: I make fun of Tony Abbott and Christopher Pyne about the 'baddies' thing.

Hope that's clarified things. Moving on.

Tony Abbott has avoided Q+A for an entire term. Impressive. I know it's just one show but it has become a de-facto people's forum given that it's ABC and supposed to be neutral ground.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
So we only read the first paragraph? So what?
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6745|Noizyland

So nothing if you don't comment; I don't care if you read my over-written garbage or not. However if you're going to comment it makes sense to know what you're actually commenting on, yes?

Edit: Sorry, blanked out for a second there and forgot I was on the Internet.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I read the whole thing. It was just more whining about Labour losing
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jaekus
+957|5149|Sydney

Jay wrote:

https://www.netmeister.org/blog/images/implied-facepalm.jpg
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6645|Canberra, AUS
qanda can't really be described as a people's forum any more. the producers seem keener on getting gotcha moments and soundbites than actual substantive discussion these days.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6119|'straya

Jay wrote:

More about Rupert Murdoch/News Corp owning 70+% of major Australian newspapers and blatantly altering the course of Australian democracy.

Bias is one thing, but spending 6 years trying to destabilise a government, shoot down any policies and massively slant your political coverage for the benefit of an unelected, non-citizen, billionaire and his friends/colleagues is another.

https://i.imgur.com/QdZIjej.jpg

Fair and balanced.

Last edited by Little BaBy JESUS (2013-09-02 06:21:47)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6687
well murdoch could always get his aussie citizenship back though. but still, fair and balanced mr murdoch.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6119|'straya

Cybargs wrote:

well murdoch could always get his aussie citizenship back though. but still, fair and balanced mr murdoch.
the Americans can keep him
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Jay wrote:

More about Rupert Murdoch/News Corp owning 70+% of major Australian newspapers and blatantly altering the course of Australian democracy.

Bias is one thing, but spending 6 years trying to destabilise a government, shoot down any policies and massively slant your political coverage for the benefit of an unelected, non-citizen, billionaire and his friends/colleagues is another.

Fair and balanced.
Really? You think he has that kind of power? Amazing. You don't have free will? You can't make up your own mind? If the party you support loses it must be because some old rich dude has too much influence. In America we have bogeymen named Soros and Koch as well as Murdoch and wingnuts always trot out their names when they lose an election.

Why aren't there competing news sources? Could it be that they don't represent a large enough segment of the populations' views and thus lose money?
-Frederick Bastiat
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6645|Canberra, AUS
the decline of fairfax (news ltd's major competitor) doesn't have much to do with their readership or the quality of their news, but rather business decisions they took a decade or so back which has gutted their revenue stream.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6687

Jay wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Jay wrote:

Fair and balanced.
Really? You think he has that kind of power? Amazing. You don't have free will? You can't make up your own mind? If the party you support loses it must be because some old rich dude has too much influence. In America we have bogeymen named Soros and Koch as well as Murdoch and wingnuts always trot out their names when they lose an election.

Why aren't there competing news sources? Could it be that they don't represent a large enough segment of the populations' views and thus lose money?
If it wasn't for australian media law murdoch could easily flood the market. Yeah let australia compete with the entire might of news corp. Yep i see no problem in creating bias in that. nobody is bitching about murdoch making sure labor loses, labor is going to lose anyway they're highly unpopular in the country. People are bitching about how in this particular election news corp is pretty much overstepping so many lines just to stick a big fuck you to rudd.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6119|'straya

Jay wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Jay wrote:

Fair and balanced.

It's worth mentioning that in some of the capital cities the ONLY major paper is from News Corp. They have tonnes of power to shape the views of Australians.

And don't say "wah wah you're blaming bogeymen for when your party loses" because historically I have voted for the party that News Corp supports, I just detest News Corps methods and don't like the current leader of that party.

Murdoch has also been trying for decades to destroy laws which have prevented him from owning significant portions of the Australian TV market.

Last edited by Little BaBy JESUS (2013-09-02 15:33:12)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard