Brasso
+1,549|6620

hi guys. I'm currently at my cousins house for 3 weeks and I'm having very strange WiFi issues.

the AP is a combo modem/wireless router by Motorola. what plugs into the back of it is a coax cable and power cable.

now, I am able to connect to the unit (and subsequently, the Internet) using both my iPhone and Google Nexus 7. I have no issues at all accessing the Internet with those two devices. the problem is with my laptop. I'm able to connect to the wireless network with 5 full bars of wireless reception, but have trouble accessing websites. every now and then, the wireless bars in the system tray will have the yellow exclamation point signifying connection issues, but most of the time, all appears to be fine.

Device info:
Laptop:
Dell Studio XPS 1647
Running Win7

Modem/Router:
Motorola SBG901
Gateway IP: 192.168.0.1
subnet: 255.255.255.0
So far, here's a list of things I've tried.

ipconfig Flushdns/release/renew
Static IP within proper subnet range
manually entered DNS servers (tried both Google and OpenDNS servers)
Disabled and reenabled wireless adapter
Power cycled modem/router unit
Disabled IPv6
Deleted all other wireless network stored info
Disabled Ethernet port and Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter
reinstalled WiFi adapter drivers

Please help if you can. Not really sure what else i can try and i need the internet to access two online classes. Thanks a lot in advance.

Last edited by Brasso (2013-07-28 17:36:58)

"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6281|Washington St.

Brazzers wrote:

Gateway IP: 192.268.0.1
Did you mean 192.168.0.1?
That's the private subnet.

Sorta a stab there.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6281|Washington St.
Otherwise, I'd try updating drivers. That's a lame catch-all fix along with restarting but it fixes a lot of problems.
TBH I doubt its drivers but you can try.
Brasso
+1,549|6620

ya I mistyped sorry. I'll give that a shot.
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6281|Washington St.
If it isn't that (which I don't think it is), next id check the power settings to make sure its not cutting out the wireless to save battery and what not (speaking of which, does it happen more often or not depending on when its plugged in or not?)
Brasso
+1,549|6620

nah I'm pretty sure it's not that. I double checked that setting and the laptop is plugged in on "High Performance" anyway
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6302

What's the DHCP lease time in the router config? They're usually set to some stupid high timeout value anyway, but it's worth a look.

Edit: nvm...you tried static IP already. Hmm...

Last edited by bugz (2013-07-28 13:56:40)

pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6281|Washington St.
Id double check the specific wireless power settings. I only ask because I had a laptop that was plugged in and on 'high performance' and it would still drop all bluetooth devices as soon as they were added. I had to go into the bluetooth settings and change that even though all other settings were to 'always on'
Brasso
+1,549|6620

pirana6 wrote:

Id double check the specific wireless power settings. I only ask because I had a laptop that was plugged in and on 'high performance' and it would still drop all bluetooth devices as soon as they were added. I had to go into the bluetooth settings and change that even though all other settings were to 'always on'
this is what they're set to right now

https://i.imgur.com/06qQoGg.png

also, i downloaded the latest wireless adapter drivers from Dell and installed them clean (uninstalled the old ones and installed the new ones). still no dice. i decided to pay $10 for a tethering app for my tablet. so right now i'm using my tablet (hooked up to my laptop with a USB cable) as a wireless adapter. but i would still like to have my computer actually work since the latency is kind of high right now.
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+682|6281|Washington St.
This is a scratcher.

Try uninstalling the wireless adapter? Then a reboot will reinstall it. Not an answer but worth a shot. I'm inclined to think its on your computer as other devices can connect just fine so the AP seems okay
Brasso
+1,549|6620

pirana6 wrote:

This is a scratcher.

Try uninstalling the wireless adapter? Then a reboot will reinstall it. Not an answer but worth a shot. I'm inclined to think its on your computer as other devices can connect just fine so the AP seems okay
still a no go. i tried what you said but it was unable to install the drivers automatically, so i pointed it to the folder where i downloaded the drivers from the Dell website.

didn't help
jsnipy
+3,276|6513|...

does another device have the same configured static ip (that intermittently joins)?
Brasso
+1,549|6620

jsnipy wrote:

does another device have the same configured static ip (that intermittently joins)?
i really doubt it. my iphone and tablet sit at xxx.xxx.xxx.15 and xxx.xxx.xxx.16 so i tried .26. but i'll try another anyway.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard