Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
Um no, Australia wasn't founded by criminals any more than America was founded by slaves.

India and Pakistan can afford squadrons of fighter jets and arsenals of nuclear weapons, giving them aid would be quite misguided.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4247
i think you may like to check the figures on how much money india/pakistan receive from the UK, every year. seeing as you're so intent on comparing australia's 'contribution' to the UK's. we do more than enough. so should you.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Its not my fault if the UK is dumb enough to hand hundreds of millions of pounds to countries which just don't need it.
You're saying because the UK is dumb Australia should be just as dumb, or more so because our economy is going better?

The UK has only just got around to beginning to negotiate to cut aid to China.....
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4247
i don't think it is "dumb" to give aid, if you are able. i guess that's where we differ. i have no problem giving aid in an international community, if there is need or point. if the UK suffered giant floods or some natural disaster, i'd like to think our neighbours would help us too. have fun coveting all your wealth and scowling at foreigners. i think i know which relationship to outsiders is healthier.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Why does the UK still give aid to China? India? Pakistan?

They each spend billions annually on first-world militaries, giving them free cash is beyond stupid, sorry.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4247
why doesn't the west cancel all third-world debt? you tell me.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Probably could if we didn't give aid to countries which don't need it, like Israel.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6709
i know a lot of australians won't be here if it wasn't for the refugee program. ask all the vietnamese and lebanese migrants.

Oh and not to mention any chinese citizen who was here on a legal visa 1990-1992 where they got permanent residency for the Tienanmen square massacre.

Last edited by Cybargs (2013-07-26 06:38:55)

https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6709

Dilbert_X wrote:

Why does the UK still give aid to China? India? Pakistan?

They each spend billions annually on first-world militaries, giving them free cash is beyond stupid, sorry.
why do australians give aid to australians? were a wealthy country right, why should we give these kids money for their cancer treatment, tell the gov to pay up right.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS
p sure there's a bunch of studies floating around saying fairly firmly that properly integrated (ie well-treated refugees) are a massive benefit to the economy and to the society
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4247
that is exactly what i am saying. these people are grateful for the support and they end up becoming prideful australians - just like the generations of scot/irish and jewish emigres to america, who adopted it as their new homeland and contributed endless amounts. dilbert sees the different skin colour, culture, religious creed, and language, and freaks out. cannot imagine them ever integrating. in the UK many people of non-british background have ended up contributing loads and becoming pillars of their respective local communities. dilbert seems to think it's only the white anglo-saxon protestants that end up giving "millions to the economy and putting people in work". lol. you're an immigrant nation, and you need to grow/expand.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4247
gj anyway

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/australi … and-abused

It’s easy to see why, at a time of heightened political pressure, the memory the 2005 Cronulla riots might be at the forefront of politicians’ minds. Back then, 5,000 people gathered in a media-fuelled campaign to stop immigrants from supposedly carrying out violent crime against locals. What began peacefully soon resulted in the mob attack of an unsuspecting man of Arab appearance outside a hotel, followed by several similar violent incidents over the course of three days and nights. The Lebanese community took the hardest knock, with several young men being set upon. What had been the inevitable result of mounting tension between white youths and Middle Eastern immigrants became a momentous event in Australian history that alerted the world to the country’s problem with xenophobia and the bias against immigrants perpetuated by its media.

But those events are by no means reflective of the majority, as shown through several demonstrations held this year to force the government into taking a softer line on immigration. As Graeme McGregor says: “The vast majority of Australians are compassionate people who are willing to give asylum seekers a 'fair go' once they hear their personal stories and are aware of the true facts on the issue. Unfortunately, for years politicians have been using asylum seekers for political point-scoring and incorrectly labelling people who arrive by boat as 'illegal', when it is perfectly legal to seek asylum from persecution.”

Propaganda is being put before humanitarian law and this can only hinder Australia’s progress to achieving harmony and true multiculturalism. The events of last Friday hold devastating repercussions for the thousands of people risking their lives to escape oppressive regimes and forge a better life for themselves in a developed country. They also have the potential to destroy the lives of people living in Papua New Guinea, who haven’t the means or the infrastructure to fare the storm that's heading their way.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-07-26 09:12:23)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6709
the funny thing about the cronulla riots is that it had nothing to do with race in the first place but everything to do with 2 gangs being dicks to teach other, except one gang was brown. media sparked a race riot.

this is why i stay away from the shire, dumbest fucking area ever.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4247
what's 'the shire' in aus terms?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6709

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

what's 'the shire' in aus terms?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutherland_Shire

this area. usually full of white trash bogans and we even made a jersey/geordie shore style show about it!

Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4247
gotcha

what is it with television glorifying stupidity thesedays? those shows are everywhere. never seen any of them. even that 'made in chelsea' shit.

Last edited by Uzique The Lesser (2013-07-27 05:26:52)

Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6682|Tampa Bay Florida
On behalf of America, I am so sorry for this shit. 

It's what you might characterize as the end of western civilization.  Ever seen honey boo boo?  If not, then stay away from it.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6709
thankfully "the shire" ratings tanked and everybody hated it. they don't broadcast it anymore
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5171|Sydney

Uzique The Lesser wrote:

that is exactly what i am saying. these people are grateful for the support and they end up becoming prideful australians - just like the generations of scot/irish and jewish emigres to america, who adopted it as their new homeland and contributed endless amounts. dilbert sees the different skin colour, culture, religious creed, and language, and freaks out. cannot imagine them ever integrating. in the UK many people of non-british background have ended up contributing loads and becoming pillars of their respective local communities. dilbert seems to think it's only the white anglo-saxon protestants that end up giving "millions to the economy and putting people in work". lol. you're an immigrant nation, and you need to grow/expand.
Prime example right here - http://www.australianoftheyear.org.au/2 … -the-year/

Young Australian of the Year 2013

Akram Azimi
Mentor

Akram Azimi is a dedicated mentor to young Indigenous people.  Arriving in Australia 13 years ago from Afghanistan he went from being ‘an ostracised refugee kid with no prospects’ to becoming his school's head boy. An outstanding student, he topped the tertiary entrance exam scores among his classmates. He's now studying a triple major – law, science and arts – at the University of Western Australia. Intent on giving back to his adopted country, Akram uses his leadership and pastoral skills to help young people in remote and rural Western Australia.  In 2011 he co-founded a student-run initiative I am the other set up to raise awareness about Indigenous issues in universities. His philanthropic roles have included working with True Blue Dreaming, which helps disadvantaged remote Indigenous communities. For three years, Akram mentored young Indigenous people in the Looma community in the Kimberley region, and he has mentored primary school students in the small farming community of Wyalkatchem, in WA’s wheat belt. Akram is also mentoring a Special Olympics athlete to help raise community awareness of disability issues.
This guy is doing more for others than 99.9% of people and yet there were STILL narrow minded fuckers complaining that a refugee got it. This guy came here with nothing, is clearly bright, and not only made opportunity for himself but then goes on to help others less fortunate and people complain? Docile-minded plebes.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4247
the fundamental difference is that people like dilbert see 'diversity' and see other people bringing their culture and its knowledge to their country and they see nothing to celebrate. it's a fundamentally different constitution. whereas most modern people see cultural diversity as an endlessly-enriching and educational process, dilbert sees dilution, disorder, and lack of coherence. it makes him uncomfortable.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Where have I said we shouldn't take refugees? I've said we should deal with the issue in an orderly way, according to local and international law, not allow bogus refugees who make false claims and enter the country illegally to jump the queue ahead of actual refugees.

Aus takes 10 times as many refugees as the UK, shut up now Uzique.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
HEARTLESS bastards. That's the verdict delivered by many on the progressive side of politics against the government for arranging to resettle asylum-seekers arriving by boat in Papua New Guinea.
It's a cynical, cruel pre-election ploy, the progressive commentary continues, by a government feigning concern about people drowning at sea.

That good, decent people oppose a policy of no resettlement in Australia of asylum-seekers arriving by boat is neither surprising nor incomprehensible.

But when the presentation of facts is met with indignation and an unwillingness to move beyond abuse to sensible discussion, the question arises as to whether critics are truly interested in the realities that governments and the world confront. Criticism is easy. Government policy for countries grappling with the vexed problem of asylum-seekers right around the globe is not.

At the risk of confronting critics' sensibilities, let's get some facts on the table. In the past few years, more than 1000 asylum-seekers have drowned on boat journeys to Australia, many of them little children who had no say in the decision to get on a boat.

More died this week, when a boat with more than 200 asylum-seeker passengers capsized off Java. Again, children were among the dead.

Next fact is that the UN High Commissioner for Refugees estimates there are more than 110,000 refugees and asylum-seekers in Malaysia and Indonesia wanting to come to Australia and other advanced countries. This isn't a fixed total. More arrive by air every day.

Worldwide, there are more than 42 million displaced people, at least 15 million of whom are refugees.

The Australian government has increased its annual humanitarian intake from 13,750 to 20,000 people. The intake comprises offshore arrivals (from refugee camps) and onshore arrivals (by boat). Any refugee arriving by boat displaces a refugee from a camp.

Unless arrivals by boat - now at 3000 a month - are halted, Australia will not be able to take any refugees from camps - none.

Progressive critics argue there are no queues in refugee camps. Queues or no queues, millions of people live in extremely tough conditions in refugee camps.

Too poor to afford an air fare to Malaysia or Indonesia and to pay people-smugglers for a boat to Australia, why are these refugees in camps less deserving of our compassion than asylum-seekers arriving by boat? A case of out of sight, out of mind, it seems.

Outraged at this question, progressive critics demand that onshore arrivals of asylum-seekers be decoupled from the offshore intake. That, of course, would remove any limits on boat arrivals.

Apart from the reality that the Australian people will not accept unlimited unauthorised boat arrivals, any such decoupling would lead to more deaths at sea. It doesn't solve the problem of asylum-seekers drowning, it exacerbates it.

Faster processing of asylum-seeker claims in Indonesia is suggested as a way of fixing the problem. This is easier said than done but, again, it assumes the number of asylum-seekers in Malaysia and Indonesia is more or less fixed. It is not.

Iranian arrivals have been accelerating. They have not been trekking overland for months. They have been able to obtain visas to enter Indonesia upon arrival at airports.

In any event, there is a particular advantage to arriving in Australian territory by boat. When the willingness of courts to overturn initial determinations of refugee status is taken into account, asylum-seekers arriving here by boat have a 90 per cent chance of being assessed as genuine refugees.

The goal of the arrangement with PNG is not to send lots of asylum-seekers there but to stop the deaths at sea. It is the same goal as the Malaysia arrangement opposed by a combination of the Coalition and the Greens as being too harsh. There's nothing compassionate about letting asylum-seekers drown at sea.

Finally, progressive critics ask why the government doesn't live up to the wonderful record of Malcolm Fraser's government, which resettled tens of thousands of Vietnamese refugees.

During the entire period of the Fraser government, only 2000 Vietnamese asylum-seekers arrived in Australia by boat. The rest were processed and held in detention centres in Southeast Asia - including Malaysia.

Yet those same progressives are opposed to offshore processing, especially in countries that are not signatories to the Refugee Convention - including Malaysia.

It's time for a rational discussion of asylum-seekers based on facts, not myths. That's unlikely to occur in the heat of an election campaign but must happen thereafter, regardless of which party wins. Meanwhile, if trying to stop asylum-seekers drowning at sea makes me a heartless bastard, I can live with that.
Seems reasonable.
Uzique The Lesser
Banned
+382|4247

Dilbert_X wrote:

Where have I said we shouldn't take refugees? I've said we should deal with the issue in an orderly way, according to local and international law, not allow bogus refugees who make false claims and enter the country illegally to jump the queue ahead of actual refugees.

Aus takes 10 times as many refugees as the UK, shut up now Uzique.
why do you keep mentioning that figure like it means anything?
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6767|Noizyland

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/q71/942162_598176626870649_2023497881_n.jpg

You tell 'em Joe.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

I wish our people could government the economy good.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard